Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: pride of barbados (caesalpinia pulcherima)

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 6, Views: 215
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
colchie
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #4698823

Anyone have any luck starting these seeds? I got some in a seed swap, and nicked and soaked them and they have swelled up nicely, but no root and no cotyledons. Some of the seeds are rotting. My guess is they need more heat? Please give me any tips.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #4699051

I've gotten them to germinate pretty easily...I'm pretty sure I soaked them overnight in warm water, then put them in seed starting mix and threw them under lights on a heat mat. I'm not sure if they'll germinate without the heat mat or not, but since they're semi-tropical I think they'll definitely germinate better with the heat.
Maydreams27
Port Saint Lucie, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #4703462

I have done well with mine. Soaked them in filters for a while until saw roots, then planted it up, placed on heat mat and let her go for a while. here she is this past September

Thumbnail by Maydreams27
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fauna4flora
West Palm Beach, FL

April 3, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #4751520

It should not be necessary to nick these seeds. I do agree with soaking them, and I usually get 100% germination with this species. My experience has been that legumes in general tend to germinate well without much fuss.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #4758963

You know that you shouldn't nick the tip of the seed right? I was 4 for 5 with starting POB seeds this spring, no heating pad but room temps over 70. Quick to sprout if I remember right.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #7262825

I just received some of these seeds, and would love successful germination. Could someone please post their "for dummies" version of how they successfully germinated them and have gotten them growing? Time of year, how long soaking in water, how long on the coffee filters, when transferred to soil (what type is best?), etc. I'd be most appreciative! I had these when I lived in Arizona, and loved them, and would love to have them again to remind me a bit of my home there. Thanks much!

~~ Jennifer
thida
Fremont, CA

December 3, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #7330684

I put the seeds in wet coffee filter ad put the filter in the ziplog bag for a few days until they start to shoot out root. I saw about 70-80% grwoing roots. I just put those in the pottig soil. Will see how they go.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America