Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong Seedlings: Foxglove seedlings

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong Seedlings
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong SeedlingsReplies: 2, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ivesco
Monterey, MA
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #4699961

By mail order, I've received cells crowded with foxglove seedlings, but there is still snow on the ground in my zone 4a woods. Should I transplant the seedlings in clumps into pots till the ground is workable?
Thanks for advice.
Colta Ives
ivesco
Monterey, MA
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #4699968

P.S. The foxgloves are going into the woods of SW Massachusetts (Berkshires).
C.Ives
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #4700076

Foxglove is pretty hardy... but I'm not sure if those little seedlings would be quite *that* hardy, LOL. I think transplanting into pots (under lights if possible) is a good idea. Foxglove seems to me like something that would look good growing in a clump, so the only reason I can think of to not clump transplant is if they are mixed color seedlings... mixed colors growing in a clump might look pretty cute, but they wouldn't look quite "natural," so I guess it depends on the look you're going for. Even if you clump transplanted and thinned later on, you'd get the benefits of clumped seedlings (moisture management, mutual stimulation for better seedling growth), and it sounds like you'd still have plenty of little foxgloves to plant out.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: Sowing & Transplanting Tips for Strong Seedlings Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article MistyPetals 25 Apr 20, 2010 4:57 PM
Thanks!! rvnsbrk 8 Mar 14, 2008 11:13 PM
Excellent Article very useful info. Baxter_Md 3 Apr 15, 2008 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America