ID of car wanted...

(Zone 7a)

As I was sitting at a red light, I saw this car on a trailer and some men gathered around it. I can't place the car. Can anyone give an ID on it? I know there's someone who can. It sure looks like they want to restore it and I hope they do. It deserves it, whatever it is.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Nobody?

Missouri City, TX

Sort of looks like an Austin-Healey or MGA. Hard to tell without being able to see all of it.

(Zone 7a)

I know. Sorry, Bubba. It was as close as I could get without being late for work. I was hoping that, since I got part of the front end, someone would recognize it. It has a classic body shape.

Missouri City, TX

I can't quite make out the front - don't know if it is open high or low.
Re-looking at it, I also question if it has a head rest that slopes into the back. If it does, it could be a Jag-D. And , is the front fender missing?

I was racing a Datsun 1500 in '65 - 67, so saw lots of beautiful sports cars.

Was hooked as a teenager - had to pass Triumph and MG dealerships every day going to school and my paper route. And one of the restaurants we hung out at had a birdcage Maserati, that the owner raced.

First SCCA race for me was Lake Garnet, KS - 1961. Met some great drivers and saw some amazing cars.

(Zone 7a)

No, the front quarter-panel was not missing. Just darker like the back. When I frist saw it behind another vehicle, I thought Jag but I wasn't sure. Do you know of any websites I can go to to check out older body shapes?

Wow, on being able to see all those beautiful cars! Lucky you.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

DH says with authority ~ 1st choice MGA ~ 2nd AC Cobra ~ 3rd but not likely Austin Healey. He dug out books to prove it to me! LOL

(Zone 7a)

That's very cool, Podster. Thank you so much. And thank your hubby for me! ☺ I was just thinking about this today.

Now, actually, I must admit, as usual, I disagree with him! LOL

I knew it wasn't a Healy (having always been a fan), from the profile of the rear fender well and the outline of the front grill/headlight, it appeared to me to be a AC, my first choice.

Whichever one it was, we are not surprised to hear it had an audience. Guarantee it will be restored!

Old people, old cars here! 8 ))

(Zone 7a)

I now wish I had been late for work to get a better pic of the car and talked to the people around it. I don't think we'll ever be sure what it was. (sigh) Call it an AC Jag Healy? ;-) ☺

Summerville, GA

looks like a jag xk150 to me
http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/jaguar/1960-jaguar-001.jpg

This message was edited Aug 23, 2008 3:25 AM

(Zone 7a)

I had forgotten about this thread. I really believe it could very well be a Jag of some kind. The front grill area, at least to me, just screams Jag.

Hudson, OH

My DH expert says that it is a MGA, between 1957 - 1961.

Annapolis, MD

I know it's really late to answer this..I just joined..but that looks like a Ford Cobra..one of those kit cars you can buy

(Zone 7a)

I don't think it is because of the damage you could see. It doesn't show in the pic, though.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

It's a Cobra. Not a Jag, they have larger 'front humps.' Judging from the condition, it is on its way to restoration. Last one of these I saw sell on Barrett Jackson's Auction (check it out on Speed TV sometime) sold for close to $1,000,000. 'Course, it was perfect, but they are highly collectable these days.

Thumbnail by vnickdd
(Zone 7a)

I do watch the car auctions. I wish I could have gotten to see the car up close. An ID would have been possible then. Of course, I could have spoken to the gentleman gathered around it to find out! LOL

So like Vnickdd... it that your Cobra???? Nice ride.

If it was a Cobra ~ I was right. Amazing!

B/J Auction fans here too. Nothing like a little "unreality" tv to brighten up the day. I think the prices are somewhat inflated on some cars but it is interesting to follow the trends and nice to see the old cars.

Missouri City, TX

You can still get a brand new 1968 Cobra - Shelby has several registered frames left and will make you one. Prices are a WHOLE lot higher than in 1968, tho, $70-100k each.
To get the car homoligated to pass FIA's rules for racing a
"stock sports car" he had 500 frames made, but did not construct or sell all of them.

I have driven an earlier 289 AC/Cobra (1961), but never had the chance to handle the 427+ 100% Shelby version.

(Zone 7a)

Y'all are making me kick myself even harder for not stopping to get better pics and talk to the owners! LOL I want to drive a Shelby...just once before I die.

Kwanjin ~ I think you should get what you want. You need to put that on your Santa list. Merry Christmas!

(Zone 7a)

One of the new Dodge Challengers is on my list. I think I MUST have that car! LOL

Quoting:
Dear Santa ~ Kwanjin has been very good this year! Please deliver the keys to the new Challenger.

Yup! We like that one too. Liked the original but am showing my age. I also like the profile of the new Camaros. DH despises the look of the Camaro from the front. He thinks the grill is ugly.

We like cars ~ new and old. There aren't many new ones that we think would be collectible in years to come like many of the vintage ones have become. One that DH invested in was a Dodge Magnum wagon. He liked that ride and it was only made for a limited time. When they discontinued it in 2008 he invested in a used one. It is a pleasant ride but he doesn't want to put high mileage on it either. Fun for us to get "profiled" in this car. The police are always surprised to see an older grey headed pair of "thugs". LOL

The new ride on a frosty morn...

Thumbnail by podster
(Zone 7a)

LOL Thanks, Podster!!! And I like the Magnum. I like the new Camaros, too. There will, however, be a special place in my heart for the older muscle cars. You just can't beat the classic look.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Somehow I don't get the impression you are as old as some of us are but I'm glad you can appreciate those rides.

I mentioned the car sales trends on Barrett Jackson auctions. The muscle cars from the late 60s, early 70s are hot right now. Those that lusted after them in the early days (but couldn't afford them) have made their living and are now satisfying that urge. Reliving their youth. That has really bumped the values on that time frame of automobiles.

We do own one of that vintage... always in a state of repair. A 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible with more elegance than "muscle" in resale red of course. It is a pretty car and a nice ride. It has sat for a few years and needs a serious bath as well as a new top. No good photos to post but I may have to find one I can scan and post.

(Zone 7a)

I just celebrated the big 5-oh., so not that young. ^_^ I owned a '77 Corvette at one time, and now my DH owns a '91. We got it for a song. A tiny bit of work and now it's the other love of his life. LOL

It would be neat to see your car.

I'm a "wee bit" older ~ so if I remember to dig out the photo I will scan and post it.

I'm a vintage Volvo fan too. edited to add... I haven't met many cars I don't like!

This message was edited Dec 20, 2009 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by podster
(Zone 7a)

There're a few I've met that I didn't like. An '86 Hyundai, in particular. Ick. That thing was money pit.

Missouri City, TX

Wow! A 544 and a P1800 together.

Yep ~ how's that for an obsession. Our first date was in a PV544 so I wanted one of them and always wanted a P1800 from the first day I laid eyes on them. I said I would sacrifice the PV for the wagon but DH said no. I still love both rides.

(Zone 7a)

I can see why you like them. Pretty cool rides!

Fort Bragg, CA

Looks lke an Austin Healy 3000 could be a 3000/6 or MK3 but it sure looks like an Austin, need to see the grille for a postive ID. I've had a number of them, they are fantastic vehicles, monococque construction, all aluminum (great HP to weight ratio) straignt 6 with twin Skinners Union updraft carbs, 4 on the floor with electric overdrive. Yeah!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes it does look like one of the kit cars, a particular name brand is Superformance, if I am not mistaken. I used to go to these Cobra meets at the Famous Willow Springs Raceway, that is by my house.

(Zone 7a)

That's interesting. I'll look into that.

puerto adolfo lopez , Mexico

Austin Healey 3000. Lot of Restoration/refabrication in progress.....

(Zone 7a)

Somehow, I don't think we'll ever know for sure. I don't go out that way anymore and have never seen it again. Perhaps they were just traveling through.

Fairhope, AL

It appears to be an earlier (60's) Austin Healey?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.