Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Slug Those Slugs!: Good article

Communities > Forums > Article: Slug Those Slugs!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Slug Those Slugs!Replies: 7, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #4702027

Thank you for a good article though seeing their ugly bodies with the first cup of coffee wasn't the way to start the day.

Above all, scissors work well.

If I can find the lava rock I'd like to give that a try this spring. We've used Sluggo for years since it doesn't harm pets or birds. Putting it down, here, after each garden has been cleaned and before plants emerge does a great job to eliminate many of them. Diligence is the key to winning the war.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #4702085

Ack! scissors?? I'm not that brave. LOL!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #4702100

Actually I have little slug graveyards in a few shady areas and, yes, a little white cross so I don't make the "grave" error of thinking I can dig there.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #4702641

ROFL, pirl! I don't want to poison them, in case a possum comes along and eats them and gets sick. I just want them to go away...how exactly does the copper work, in what form--wire, sheets, or what?
"little slug graveyard"...LOL
garth_wunsch
Lively (Sudbury)
Canada

March 24, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #4702845

I use two methods to control the slugs. The first is one you mention, using household ammonia, but Ed Lawrence (CBC's Ontario Gardener) says we only need a ten percent solution of ammonia, which suits me fine because it seems to work, saves me money and is less likely to burn the plants. I don't spray it on them at night, but rather do a mass watering of slug prone areas in the spring just before the Hosta shoots sprout. The solution kills the eggs before they hatch and can't burn the plants. If I put it on plants later in the season, I then wash ot off in about fifteen minutes.

My "second wave" in this this little war is a most unorthodox approach, and at first you will think it counterintuitive, but just rty it... IT WORKS! I make a lot of compost (about 1 -2 cubic yards per year) Most of it goes through my garden shredder and comes out "black gold". I always had trouble getting my baby beans up to the 4 -6 leaf stage, the point at which slugs leave them alone... too tough I guess. Now I keep a close eye on the seed row and as soon as I see the ground starting to swell with the germinating seed, I cover the row with about 1/2 - 1 inch of finely shredded compost. One might think this slug heaven, but it really isn't. It is more like a summons to slug hell (yeah). What happens is that the upper 1/8" or so of the compost dries out very quickly, the sun goes down and the slugs come out for dinner, heading straight for the salad bar. They hit the dry compost and it coats their slimy little bodies, preventing them from laying down the telltale slime trail, and thus immobilizing them... now think/sing that little childhood ditty about the "rinky dinky spider" who got washed down the drain... "out comes the sun and dries up all the slugs" ...et voila, Escargots for the birds! I spread shredded compost over all sluggy areas every spring just before the new growth starts. I have gained a great degree of control over those little sluggers.

This is mostly my own invention, but I had been told by another gardener of using shredded peat moss in the same fashion. It works too, but is expensive and packs down easily when it rains. I thought, if peat moss works, let's try compost... I have lots and it's cheap and is really good for the soil. Ruth Stout also advocated a similar treatment. She covered her entire garden with about 8 inches of salt marsh hay and kept it there year round, repleninshing it every year. She started this because she got too old and frail to dig, and she never dug her garden again, just pulled the mulch back, sowed her seeds and pulled the mulch up to the plants as they grew. The biggest unplanned bonus for her was that she no longer had slugs problems!!!!! I don't think they can crawl on the hay. I'm experimenting with shredded leaves this year???? I don't have access to salt marsh hay. Good slugging!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #4703175

Here's the link to the copper control: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=58897&cat=2,51555&ap=1
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #4704308

Thanks for the link, pirl, I never knew there was such a thing as copper "tape".
Garth, how very creative of you--that sounds like a good solution, too!
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #4706056

What an interesting forum within a forum! Maybe someone should start a Slug Forum! LOL

Thanks for all the good info, everyone.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Slug Those Slugs! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Slugs ringwood 2 Mar 24, 2008 2:41 PM
Thank you, Toni! cyra 0 Mar 24, 2008 11:28 AM
slugs rachel211 0 Mar 24, 2008 11:35 AM
slugs Juinette 1 Mar 24, 2008 12:25 PM
Been There, Done That! Dotsy1 10 Aug 24, 2011 11:19 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America