Photo by Melody

Article: Weeks and Weeks and Weeks of Tulips!: do you expect them back?

Communities > Forums > Article: Weeks and Weeks and Weeks of Tulips!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Weeks and Weeks and Weeks of Tulips!Replies: 9, Views: 183
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #4702107

Lori, do you expect your weeks and weeks of tulips to return? My DH keeps hoping (and so do I) that our tulips will be perennial, like daffodils or crocuses - after all, they are just as much work! Nice job!
xx, Carrie
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #4702365

Lori, Great idea for a tulip garden! And please let's see some more pictures!?

I was wondering the same thing about whether you thought they might come back?

And how do you control the critters who love to munch tulip bulbs and blooms for dessert?

Thanks for another great article! t.

p.s. Lori--I am also wondering where you garden, just to get an idea of the kind of conditions you deal with.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #4702542

Carrie and Tab -- Thank you very much! They do come back here. The Tulip Project was planted the fall of 2005, so they bloomed the first time in 2006 and came back just as well last year. This year I have just as many sprouts as always, and will post a pic tonight after work if I remember.

My understanding is that they will start to dwindle over time and that I may have to completely replant after 8-10 years. That'll give Handsome Man's credit card plenty of time to recover. ;-)

I garden in Nebraska - cold winters, cool springs, hot summers. I don't have much of a critter problem because there are many black walnut trees in the cemetery next door that keep the squirrels busy. We haven't seen any vole or mole activity, perhaps because of we have acres and acres of commercial cornfields behind us. Any small critter can have about as much as they want back there.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #4703019

Loved your article. I too like to experiment and do research; so much that my DH suspects OCD. I am growing tulips for the first time in many years and sympathize with your best-laid-plans run amok re: timing. And would they all please bloom at the same time? My clumps of 10 each seem determined to bloom one each few days...

Re: experiments. Here in NE Georgia, several years ago, we planted 108 tulips (Darwin I believe). The first year, all bloomed. The 2nd year, 67 bloomed and the 3rd year 33 bloomed. I moved then but I'm guessing the attrition rate sped up! I have never pre-chilled them, barely in zone 7a now, that experiment was zone 7b.

I would love to do a similar count with the different types I've tried this year, but since they are in a perennial bed, I'm not sure they will survive my constant fiddling around, moving plants, etc.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #4703414

You are lucky that your tulips come back so faithfully, McGlory.

My next question is, do you plant annuals in the bed during the summertime and fall or do you leave it vacant?

I think tulip and other bulb growing phenology is so useful. I wish more detailed records like yours were available. (I like to set up experiments, too, but I always forget to record the data! )

Please be sure to include this info when you write your book! (-:
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #4703694

The experiment continued with annuals in this older "experiment" article: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/122/

You should be able to tell from the photos that it's the same bed. This year I'm going to focus on more drought-tolerant annuals like zinnias or petunias, although my petunia experiment last year wasn't so hot. I avoided perennials because the space is so narrow, and I didn't want roots of perennials inhibiting bulbs coming through.

If anyone has ideas on drought-tolerant annuals, feel free to post your ideas. Tulip bulbs prefer dry soil in the summer.

The experiment continues... And the neighbors will be glad when my experimenting is over. :-)
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #4705292

Added a photo of today's sprouts to another thread. Nothing special to look at, just shows they're coming back. I didn't notice any decrease in number of blooms last year. We'll see what this year brings.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2008
10:32 AM

Post #4706646

Thanks for the link to your other interesting article! You make a lot of use out of your little strip of garden by the porch!

ethjohnson
Eastlake, OH

March 26, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4709825

Drought tolerant annuals include: jewels of Opar (Talinum paniculatum) - try 'Kingwood Gold' with its chartreuse leaves and tiny pink flowers that attract hummingbirds. Charles Applegate of Kingwood Gardens here in Ohio selected this variety. There are the common but very showy zinnias, marigolds (Tagetes), Celosia, Ageratum houstonianum, and for a ground cover, Portulaca grandiflora. Others to grow include Cosmos, Cleome, four-o'clock (Mirabilis jalapa), rose periwinkle (Cataranthus roseus), butter daisy (Melampodium paludosum), Dahlberg daisy (Dyssodia tenuiloba), globe amaranth (Gomphrena globosa), and treasure flower (Gazania ringens) is also a beauty to consider.
ethjohnson
Eastlake, OH

March 26, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #4709863

Catharanthus roseus - rose periwinkle

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Weeks and Weeks and Weeks of Tulips! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wish.... MitchF 5 Mar 2, 2009 3:44 PM
Nice Article MistyPetals 1 Mar 25, 2008 3:17 AM
tulips Mariomeggie 0 Mar 24, 2008 9:07 PM
Today's sprouts McGlory 0 Mar 25, 2008 1:05 AM
Do you lift your bulbs? tlmay 2 Mar 14, 2011 4:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America