Salvia leucocephala

London, United Kingdom

Thought I would share this beauty with you all.

Thumbnail by 2salvia
Candor, NC

Well, you did it again! Who is your contact in Ecuador? From my copy of Epling's book, I see it is the only member of the section Leucocephalae. By examining the photo, I'd say it has affinities with S. curviflora and S. littae, because of the backwards curved lower lip, and S. purpurea because of the density of the spike and the hairy calyxes. All three of these sages are in section Purpurae. How do the flower sizes compare?

I guess you are getting page 37 ready for your web site.

London, United Kingdom

I don't have any contacts in Ecuador, I was given this plant a couple of years ago by Christian, I think. It is a real stunner. The flowers are much larger than those of littae, curviflora, and purpurea....just over one and a half inches. Also much wider than the others. Including the calyx, it is just under 2 inches. I have never found any seeds on this, but will keep looking!

Page 37 will hopefully appear in the summer...running out of new species!!!

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

A beautiful salvia Robin.......... Absolutely Sublime....

London, United Kingdom

I have to say that this is perhaps one of the most stunning Salvias I have ever grown....and I have tried a considerable number! If only it were not winter-flowering!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Robin, that is absolutely gorgeous--I love it!

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

That flower is to die for! Fantastic! Try hand pollinating those flowers!! We need seeds!

Joseph

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 1:17 PM

Hebron, KY

Robin,

Gorgeous! I love it!

Thanks for sharing!

Marilyn

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Did you get seeds from those remarkable flowers, Robin?

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

That is wonderful!

London, United Kingdom

No, I did not find any seeds. Maybe this winter?

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

What a beauty, wish I had one .. your pics are awsome as well as the others I have been seeing..

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Just beautiful.

Thanks for sharing,
Elaine

Kannapolis, NC

2salvia: Beautiful salvia. Hope you find the seeds!

London, United Kingdom

I hope so too, but unlikely if the last two years are anything to go by. If it flowers this winter....no guarantee..I will try hand-pollination, not that I have ever been successful with this. I would love to share this beauty with all enthusiasts.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Is the foliage fragrant on this one, Robin?

I bought a gesneriad plant, Sinningia leucotricha, and each time I look at its silver-grey leaves and soon to emerge red flowers I think of this salvia you posted here. http://home.earthlink.net/~sinnvenner/4leuc.htm

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

My brother-in-law is from Ecuador what is the normal range of this salvia?

eye candy>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Candor, NC

It is found in the province of Chimborazo. Specific locations indicated are In the forests about Pangor; on downsloping dry land near Alausi and Huataxi; at Hacienda de Licay nearby Huigra at 5000 - 5500 feet This is info from Epling's book

London, United Kingdom

No, the leaves are not fragrant. Three stems on my plant, full of buds!

London, United Kingdom

Well, it flowered very well again in late winter. As it has been very warm recently, have placed the plants outside in daytime. No bees around apart from bumbles, but it seems that one or two seeds are trying to form. But, a colder spell is now forecast, so I doubt if any seeds will ripen, Fingers crossed!

Kannapolis, NC

Robin: That's such a beautiful salvia! I just planted some Mexican blue sage and here is a photo of one of its tiny little blooms:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Hitchin, United Kingdom

OK - I know it's not anything like Robin's sumptuous plant but at least it's a start!

This plant is now (early May in UK) some 1 foot high grown from a cutting taken late summer last year and overwintered in my limited light potting shed. It has now been outdoors for a few weeks.

Other cuttings similarly taken flowered earlier on overwintering shoots but this one has flowered on relatively recent shoots although the flower head is less congested. Subsequent vigorous new shoots are obviously not going to flower until perhaps the end of the year.

Incidentally, the family tree for these cuttings goes back to Robin's plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by jimcrick
Kannapolis, NC

Jim: Is that Salvia leucocephala? It's gorgeous. I know I posted my photo in the wrong thread here.

Angie

Hitchin, United Kingdom

Angie - Indeed it is.

Your pic may be in the wrong thread but it's still a real sweet pic.

Jim

Kannapolis, NC

TY, Jim. It's only about 4 inches tall (ordered and received recently from Bluestone Perennials) but I was surprised when it started blooming! Just had to capture that blue blossom.

Wiggins, MS

I've never heard of this one, so I'll have to look it up - it's gorgeous!!
Sherry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images