Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Weeks and Weeks and Weeks of Tulips!: Do you lift your bulbs?

Communities > Forums > Article: Weeks and Weeks and Weeks of Tulips!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Weeks and Weeks and Weeks of Tulips!Replies: 2, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tlmay
Hamersville, OH

March 25, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #4706206

I have heard that if you want your bulbs to return as well every year, that they should be lifted and dried then stored in a cool spot for the summer like a garage.
I just wondered if you lifted yours or do you let them dry and plant over top of the yellowing foliage? I have trouble getting my tulips to rebloom. Last year I even fed them bone meal and don't see many coming back that will bloom. I am only seeing one leaf. I am in zone 6, Cincinnati. Bulbs definitely require Excedrin for me. I love them but they don't like me.

Your bed was beautiful by the way and I loved the "soldier" look.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #4706926

I don't lift the bulbs here, although I know some people that do. I guess I'm just too lazy. This year I'm trying drought-tolerant annuals planted after the tulip foliage is done. The bulbs don't like being watered in summer.
diggerdane
Fennville, MI

March 14, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8425673

I'm of the opinion that most of the non-species tulips.. the large showy ones.. cannot be expected to flower for more than several years. They go slowly downhill, and they never re-gain their blooming strength. To me, digging and replanting doesn't help.. bonemeal doesn't help.. the only small help is deadheading the spent flowers and refraining from removing the shabby foliage till the leaves are mostly yellow. If you get a good buy on tulips.. 50-cents or less.. and they only bloom for 3 years.. just replant them regularly and be happy with a relatively inexpensive show.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Weeks and Weeks and Weeks of Tulips! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wish.... MitchF 5 Mar 2, 2009 3:44 PM
do you expect them back? carrielamont 9 Mar 26, 2008 1:43 AM
Nice Article MistyPetals 1 Mar 25, 2008 3:17 AM
tulips Mariomeggie 0 Mar 24, 2008 9:07 PM
Today's sprouts McGlory 0 Mar 25, 2008 1:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America