Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Dairy Farmer's Journal: Dogs: Wonderful dog stories

Communities > Forums > Article: Dairy Farmer's Journal: Dogs
bookmark
Forum: Article: Dairy Farmer's Journal: DogsReplies: 11, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2008
12:22 PM

Post #4706836

Thanks for sharing your wonderful dog stories. Excellent writing. So Sid and Molly died hours apart? How touching.
Readers should know that you have other Dairy Farmers Journal stories.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #4707075

Thank you Sally. Sid and Molly died a year apart, Sid in 2000 and Molly in 2001. My family suggested that I probably have 10 more articles this size with dog stories, I was stunned at how long this one went on!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #4707190

Oops- I was thinking New years eve/morning..
James Herriot got a lot out of a 'few' dog stories. I just read your winter blues story- also enjoyed that very much.
nutmegnana
Adamstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #4707412

Oh, please do write some more stories about your dogs. My brother had a border collie for 13 years (no farm, though). She was quite an interesting dog to deal with -- super intelligent, did not consider herself a dog on the level of my Jack Russells. She much preferred herding them to playing with them. My brother was her alpha leader and she was quite the handful when he left her with me when he had to travel. As long as my DH was around he was an acceptable "substitute alpha" but she clearly did not consider me in the same league. I usually ended up negotiating with her to get her to do what I wanted -- or to work out a reasonable compromise. . .
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #4707535

Love this article, Kathleen!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #4707717

Great job as always, Kathleen. I had to laugh about Tim, though!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4708957

Loved it!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #4709002

darius, I was just reading your post earlier when the phone rang, it was the neighbor across the road telling us that there was a heifer in the middle of the road. Stan went out and the neighbor helped him get her out of the road. I got out in time to keep her from taking off around the other U of the driveway. She took a look at me and headed toward the front barn door. Just as she got there, Tim came out the door, looked at the heifer and did a fair impression of someone trying to avoid a rock and a hard place, if you know what I mean. Poor Tim, he gets laughed at, and yelled at, a lot, but he is definitely a big ole sweety.

Hey Mel, now it's snowing, a real Chautauqua County welcome home.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #4709640

Oh Kathleen, your beautifully-written article reminded me that I actually love my dogs AS MUCH as I do my garden. More. From the Border collies that I know, I have deduced that they are the smartest canines of all. Not that I don't adore my SPCA terrier-mixes. . . but still. . .
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #4712638

Truly enjoyed this latest segment in The Dairy Farmers Journal series, Kathleen. After reading the piece about the personality of various cows you've owned, dogs are a natural next step as fodder for your Journal series. Look forward to the next installment.

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #4734850

I always look forward to the next Jon Katz book on his border collies and other dogs. Your writing is excellent and I hope to see your name soon on a book beside Jon Katz. Well done!
Paul
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #4734908

Thank you for your kind words. I'm enjoying this little break from poetry, and writing about the farm has been a lot like sitting down and having a chat with you all.

Paul, I've only read on of Katz's books, but enjoyed it a great deal. I'm glad that you found my prose equally enjoyable.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Dairy Farmer's Journal: Dogs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Awesome article! threegardeners 6 Jul 29, 2009 7:30 PM
Thanks for the Wonderful Article suefalls 1 Mar 31, 2008 2:42 PM
Bless your heart! mamoriah 1 May 19, 2008 7:13 PM
farm dog deniselhyde 1 Mar 12, 2013 4:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America