Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Roll out the barrel, the rain barrel that is!: Chemicals leaching from the Roof

Communities > Forums > Article: Roll out the barrel, the rain barrel that is!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Roll out the barrel, the rain barrel that is!Replies: 1, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rothdavid
Altoona, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #4707260

Hi:

As a child I recall using rain water from a downspout on some houseplants and all that I watered with this water died. I always take pause as I see the water gushing from the downspout here in Florida and I think its a perfect source of water. I was wondering if anyone else can comment or provide information on studies done on the quality of the water coming off a rolled or shingled roof?

David in Florida.
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 2, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #4743307

David, here on the Big Island of Hawai'i, most of the population relies upon roof catchment systems for water supply. I recently had my tank water tested because the volcano is venting again. Other than insignificant amounts of sulfer and iron, it was virtually mineral free. I use a sediment filter before my pump, and an extremely fine filter after the pump, then an ultraviolet disinfecting system. The water coming from the tap is about as pure as bottled water, no bacteria and trace amounts of minerals. I have an anodized aluminum roof, about 2800 sf.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Roll out the barrel, the rain barrel that is! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great read, one question though astcgirl 6 Apr 7, 2008 9:13 PM
Good and timely article Dutchlady1 1 Mar 20, 2008 7:16 PM
great flowrgirl1 0 Mar 20, 2008 4:18 PM
Question re: winter gabagoo 7 Aug 27, 2009 12:55 AM
For the unhandyman edgeoftheworld 1 Mar 21, 2008 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America