-
AuthorContent
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #4709055

I was just checking out what Terrarium gardening was here at Daves and I did a little research on the web and found this website. http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/hort/g06520.htm

I don't know how advanced or accurate it is but I thought it was a good read.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #4711673

Good article but I disagree with some of the plants they list as good for closed terrariums. A few on the list grow so tall and so fast, you would be constantly pruning or they would take over the terrarium quickly! Many of the plants they list would do well in open dish gardens but not in enclosed terrariums. The very first plant they show is African Violet ... which would grow well in the humid environment of a terrarium but would not bloom unless it had very bright light. For blooms, AV's do best in a bright window, shaded from direct sun or on a plant stand under grow lights. Some Kalanchoe get very tall and Arrowhead Vine will vine around and take over the entire terrarium in no time. They also list Aglaonema as 3-6" - I would love to find one that remains that small. All the Chinese Evergreens I've ever seen get at least 12" and taller. Croton's are landscape plants and grow to be 4 feet or taller so I wouldn't want to place one in a closed terrarium. And, Neanthe Bella Palm's can get a few feet tall also so would be better for an open container.

It's a great list of plants - just realize that some of them on that list will get pretty large so you would have to be taking them out of a terrarium or dish garden as they outgrow the space or some you will have to constantly pinch back or prune to keep them at a size to fit the container.

Here's an example ... I planted this Fittonia ("Mosaic", "Nerve" plant) in this jar terrarium a couple of years ago and I keep having to pinch it back because it gets so squashed in there.

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #4711681

And, here I took the lid off so you can see how tall it's getting ... I need to pinch it back.

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #8186067

I have some teensy tiny African Violets - micro mini? Anyway they stay small enough for a 2 " pot forever. This is where I buy them.

http://www.robsviolet.com/
Sallysblooms
South, TX

October 30, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #8186080

I LOVE that site. I buy violets there. Just got a bunch.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #8186507

Also you can use "air plants" They do not use dirt and only need to be "watered" once in awhile, which for me is to hold them under the faucet for a minute. You can glue them to something and they do not mind. Sorry I do not know the latin name of them but they would work well for a terrarium also (they are very slow growers) and you need not to plant them or water them in a terranium.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8187405

The proper name for Air Plants is Bromeliad Tillandsia. Some of them are colorful and one I have just bloomed ! I did not know that they could do that !
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #8187410

Here are a couple of sites for it.

http://www.airplants4u.com/

http://www.tropiflora.com/shop.cfm?page=products&CategoryID=46&letter=t
Sallysblooms
South, TX

October 31, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #8187711

WOW, I didn't know there were so many KINDS of the air plants. SO cool!
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #8187718

I also think they are cool. In fact I just ordered more of of them.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #8188033

Some Tillandsia get really huge and there are some that are miniature in size. I've never thought about them for Terrariums but since they love humidity the mini's would probably do very well in that environment. They do have pretty blooms.

This is a Florida native called "Giant Airplant", Tillandsia utriculata growing in a tree in my neighbor's backyard:

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #8188310

I love giant plants! That florida air plant is awsome! If I had a nice big green house we would call it a terranium and put this plant right there along with the gigantic elephant ears of some kind. Then I would put in a bed and a microwave and move right on in.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Terrarium Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to start? LittleHippyGirl 3 Apr 9, 2007 7:08 AM
Terrarium Links begoniacrazii 42 Jun 21, 2007 2:52 PM
My new terrarium Plantcrazii 13 May 7, 2007 1:55 PM
Here is my terrarium Plantcrazii 37 May 6, 2007 6:00 PM
My new dart frogs/vivarium! clarkranch 14 Oct 31, 2007 8:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America