Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring: fond memories

Communities > Forums > Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings SpringReplies: 7, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #4710845

When I lived in Europe I remember the Forsythia as the first herald of spring with its BRIGHT color. Thanks for a nice article.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4711286

[quote]Perhaps it is storing up the sunshine during the Summer so it can spoil you with joyous splashes of sunshine energy in the early Spring.[/quote]

I love that and I think your right. I will look at the not flowering bushes in the summer and fall that way from now on.

I have been blessed to with Forsythia growing on the homestead. I have bushes that I started from my grandmothers home . They have memories as well as beauty.

I did not know about the blooming on last years growth. I just let em grow and not mess with upkeep. Good thing to know. I do cut branches off in February , soak them in warm water in the bath tub to hydrate and then into a big warm vase of water. In just a couple of weeks maybe three I have beautiful Spring setting on my dinning room table : ).

Loved your artical, thank you

linda

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #4711316

I drove by my first blooming forsythia last week and immediately had a major allergy attack! Ah! Spring! Choo!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #4711451

Oh, no, Cat! That's awful!

We will have forsythia, unruly, beautiful, YELLOW forsythia everywhere you look in back of the house in a week or two. (Yellow is NOT one of my favorite colors.) It came with the house, and in the non-blooming months is a great privacy screen. Nobody except me knows that it's forsythia then, of course. But I predict, in a few weeks, I'll hear, "Mom, how come everyone except us has that yellow stuff in their front yard? I want some in our front yard!" But if I try to explain about transplanting a bit of what has spread in the back around to the front and then NOT mowing it down for a year or two, never mind.

Thank you, April - lovely! xx, Carrie
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #4711620

Thanks for a wonderful article that reminded me of the days when I looked forward to seeing the Forsythia blooms in early Spring up in Maryland.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

March 26, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4712548

Lovely article! Forsythia was the firt shrub given to me when I moved into my house for my barren yard. I love it. I too made the mistake of "curbing" its branches in the fall when the lovely yellow flowers were just a memory. I know better now!

It is blooming as I type this and lets me know Spring has sprung!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 26, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #4713788

I would love to plant MORE of them on my rural acres - but the deer also love them, and the ones that are some distance from the house do not seem to fare so well. Maybe I can try again - I have some "volunteers" that I have placed in temp. bucket housing.

Thanks for a fun article - loved reading it!!!
Aunt_A

May 5, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6509549

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. Thanks for reading and commenting. I can't believe I missed responding to everyone's comments. Guess my mouse stole my words on this article.

:-)

April

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love and Hate darius 7 May 25, 2009 8:10 PM
An ardent admirer of forsythias. heavenscape 1 May 5, 2009 11:33 PM
We are responsible DianeEG 1 May 5, 2009 11:24 PM
MY FORSYTHIA HAD NO BLOOMS LAST TWO YRS SABELLA 1 May 5, 2009 11:23 PM
My forsythia is covered with seeds Windy 5 May 26, 2009 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America