Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring: fond memories

Communities > Forums > Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings SpringReplies: 7, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #4710845

When I lived in Europe I remember the Forsythia as the first herald of spring with its BRIGHT color. Thanks for a nice article.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4711286

[quote]Perhaps it is storing up the sunshine during the Summer so it can spoil you with joyous splashes of sunshine energy in the early Spring.[/quote]

I love that and I think your right. I will look at the not flowering bushes in the summer and fall that way from now on.

I have been blessed to with Forsythia growing on the homestead. I have bushes that I started from my grandmothers home . They have memories as well as beauty.

I did not know about the blooming on last years growth. I just let em grow and not mess with upkeep. Good thing to know. I do cut branches off in February , soak them in warm water in the bath tub to hydrate and then into a big warm vase of water. In just a couple of weeks maybe three I have beautiful Spring setting on my dinning room table : ).

Loved your artical, thank you

linda

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #4711316

I drove by my first blooming forsythia last week and immediately had a major allergy attack! Ah! Spring! Choo!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #4711451

Oh, no, Cat! That's awful!

We will have forsythia, unruly, beautiful, YELLOW forsythia everywhere you look in back of the house in a week or two. (Yellow is NOT one of my favorite colors.) It came with the house, and in the non-blooming months is a great privacy screen. Nobody except me knows that it's forsythia then, of course. But I predict, in a few weeks, I'll hear, "Mom, how come everyone except us has that yellow stuff in their front yard? I want some in our front yard!" But if I try to explain about transplanting a bit of what has spread in the back around to the front and then NOT mowing it down for a year or two, never mind.

Thank you, April - lovely! xx, Carrie
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #4711620

Thanks for a wonderful article that reminded me of the days when I looked forward to seeing the Forsythia blooms in early Spring up in Maryland.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

March 26, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4712548

Lovely article! Forsythia was the firt shrub given to me when I moved into my house for my barren yard. I love it. I too made the mistake of "curbing" its branches in the fall when the lovely yellow flowers were just a memory. I know better now!

It is blooming as I type this and lets me know Spring has sprung!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 26, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #4713788

I would love to plant MORE of them on my rural acres - but the deer also love them, and the ones that are some distance from the house do not seem to fare so well. Maybe I can try again - I have some "volunteers" that I have placed in temp. bucket housing.

Thanks for a fun article - loved reading it!!!
Aunt_A

May 5, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6509549

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. Thanks for reading and commenting. I can't believe I missed responding to everyone's comments. Guess my mouse stole my words on this article.

:-)

April

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love and Hate darius 7 May 25, 2009 8:10 PM
An ardent admirer of forsythias. heavenscape 1 May 5, 2009 11:33 PM
We are responsible DianeEG 1 May 5, 2009 11:24 PM
MY FORSYTHIA HAD NO BLOOMS LAST TWO YRS SABELLA 1 May 5, 2009 11:23 PM
My forsythia is covered with seeds Windy 5 May 26, 2009 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America