Photo by Melody

Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring: Love and Hate

Communities > Forums > Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings SpringReplies: 7, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #4711333

Forsythia is one of those plants I hate, and yet love. I love it for all the reasons you described in your article... a harbinger of Spring! In fact, I just bought a small one so we can have some early spring color in the yard in a couple of years.

I hate it because its unruly, and common, LOL. I also hate Bradford Pears the same way... too common, and in the case of Bradford's, too prone to damage.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4714716

I'm with darius--and the author-- you do look forward to the yellow, but it is not a pretty bush otherwise, and now that I'm the homeowner and chief gardener, getting more cranky about the negatives.
Good article, esp as you were honest and not just raving about it completely!
siobjuan
Dexter, ME

March 31, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #4735601

I love the honesty of the article, but hate Forsythia!!! In our prior abode we had a shrub that had taken over one side of the yard and while it was a great screen, it eventually took over the area completely. I tried cutting it back to 'train' it, no good; I tried weed killer to contain it, it grew like it never felt it (2 bottles of weedkiller for 15 foot area). Eventually it overtook my bulb garden, my Azelias and Rhodedendrons! Choked them all. Too small a reward for such a pain in the fanny!
Aunt_A

May 5, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6509540

darius
I have no idea how I missed all the comments. It is that spring color that draws me. I need it after winter. If I lived in a place that was warm all year, I might not miss it at all. Thanks for reading and commenting.

sally g
Honesty is always the best policy...sometimes it must be tempered, of course. LOL. Thanks for reading and commenting.

siobjuan
Oh no...sorry it hear that it took over so much. Mine hasn't been that naughty, but maybe it is our horrible clay soil and unreasonable hot weather that bakes the clay soil into pottery every year. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6592274

I like the green bush better than when it is flowering. I got the original from a generous person who shared her plants with me on a perennial gardening site years ago.
Aunt_A

May 24, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6592557

Windy,

You are the first person that I've heard say that. Do you just not like yellow?

Thanks so much for writing and commenting!

April
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6595665

I think it has a lot to do with my personality. I don't like to draw attention to myself and that bright yellow sure does. LOL
I think it is pretty, don't get me wrong, but I like it when it loses it flowers as it blends in and doesn't over power.
Aunt_A

May 25, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6596312

Windy,

You are so correct; the bright yellow after a long winter does draw attention.

:-)

Hope your Memorial Day is nice.

April

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bright Yellow Blooms: Forsythia Sings Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fond memories Dutchlady1 7 May 5, 2009 11:31 PM
An ardent admirer of forsythias. heavenscape 1 May 5, 2009 11:33 PM
We are responsible DianeEG 1 May 5, 2009 11:24 PM
MY FORSYTHIA HAD NO BLOOMS LAST TWO YRS SABELLA 1 May 5, 2009 11:23 PM
My forsythia is covered with seeds Windy 5 May 26, 2009 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America