-
AuthorContent
moflowers
Mandan, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2008
4:40 AM

Post #4715061

Last summer I purchased a mandevilla vine to grow up my vine pole. I kept it in the large pot it was growing in and brought it in last fall. All the leaves fell off, which I understand is okay, and I kept it downstairs in a darker cool room. Not sure when to start it off again, I watered it in January. Now I have long shoots with almost no leaves. I mean like 3-4 ft. long shoots. Can I cut them back some more to get better growth for the spring? I put the pot by a sunny window now. (Another problem: this is a fancy low-E(2) window. Conflicting info on whether plants will get enough light to grow in my new sunroom.) Any advice for saving this expensive plant for this summer?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #4717915

moflowers, I cut my skinny no leaves pieces off and put them in a jar, hoping for sprouts. My 2 pots are in my sunniest windows and are sending out new shoots with larger leaves, about double the stems from last year and each one has sent up a baby from the roots. They've been in the windows just under 2 weeks now and are taking off. I did put in a bit of multi-purpose fertilizer since it is the same dirt from last year. Good Luck!

moflowers
Mandan, ND
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4719415

Thanks. When you say you put the long stem pieces in a jar, do you mean like in water? I will fertilize my pot, as you say, it's last years dirt as well. Having even a little more light seems to be helping.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #4719447

Yes, I put them in water. No roots so far, I have no clue if they will get them, it is an experiment, lol.
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #4721772

Moflowers,
I kept my allmanda vine in a sunny room. It has grown the whole time with no flowers. I gave a friend of mine my mandavilla and not only has it grown, but it has flowered too.
moflowers
Mandan, ND
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #4903680

The vine is thriving. It is nice and green and adding leaves, so apparently the fancy windows let enough light through. It has been so cold here it may be the 4th of July until I can put it out. It was down to 18 last week, and 24 last night. Difference was the heater in my greenhouse kicked out the breaker last night. Little plants were not happy. I had 32 Bonfire Salvia in a flat. 28 of them are black after the freeze and scattered around the flat are four green perfectly live plants. Maybe I should save seeds of the tough ones.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2008
5:00 AM

Post #4903707

How depressing about the salvia, strange about the four survivors. My cold frame is packed, the temps keep falling here, too, and we have another frost threat tonight, despite our April 15th last frost date. Who comes up with these dates?? It is great the vine is thriving, mine is alive but the leaves are small, just not enough light and the cold frame isn't warm enough.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America