Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Master Gardeners, Who they are, What they do: Searching for my niche

Communities > Forums > Article: Master Gardeners, Who they are, What they do
bookmark
Forum: Article: Master Gardeners, Who they are, What they doReplies: 1, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 27, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #4716031

Becoming a Master Gardener was not a straight ahead path, nor has it been a bountiful harvest. The first year my application was turned down, but no one would ever explain why. I pulled myself together to try again and made it into the fold the second year.

Classes were interesting, instructors were knowledgeable, and community service was the carrot. It was then that I really got confused. My ideal (at the time) was to work in the community gardens; but somehow all the little plots were already claimed by friends and groups of friends.

I found a temporary niche of sorts in the native plant salvage projects; but that sense of belonging, of finding my home, of being a useful member just never happened. I am not sure what there is about me that made this not work. It can't be the program. It obviously works well for legions of folks.

So, I read w/ interest when articles about MG appear...and wonder, even yet, why it didn't work for me? I have even considered an adjacent county where folks seem more approachable. Interesting.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #4718419

Shame on the powers that be in that program for not being more inclusive. Embracing the interns is a most important part of the program. That is what keeps things rolling along.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Master Gardeners, Who they are, What they do Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
March 15 Master Gardener Day bugme 12 Apr 1, 2008 3:24 PM
Fun being a MG happgarden 0 Mar 28, 2008 12:46 AM
WV MGs MrsFroggies 1 Apr 1, 2008 10:49 PM
thank you for sharing rubyw 0 Mar 31, 2008 2:08 PM
MG's in Oregon jangoodwin 0 Mar 31, 2008 3:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America