Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
adbrickhouse
Hollidaysburg, PA

March 27, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #4716383

I have an ugly retaining wall built of railroad ties that's about 5' tall. I would very much like to cover this wall entirely or have something cascade down over it halfway. Does anyone know of any groundcover options that would cascade in that manner or would a vine such as the trumpet vine climb down a wall, instead of back into the flower bed at the top of the wall? I have a deck at the bottom of the wall and no place to plant anything there unless i use pots and im not fond of that idea due to having to water them and making the deck all dirty.
Thank you
Darrick
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 28, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #4720002

2 questions for you:

1.) what zone are you in ?
2.) what direction does this area face ?
adbrickhouse
Hollidaysburg, PA

March 28, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #4722926

Hi JasperDale, zone 6, the wall faces southeast and get most day sun
peachespickett
Huntington, AR

March 29, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #4724377

maybe jasminium nudiflorum( winter jasmine)...cascades beautifully, I don't know if it's to your taste or not but you can look for it in PlantFiles and see if you like it...just a suggestion, good luck...
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 31, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4732803

you can grow Clematis over the ground as they do in there natural habitat, it is us gardeners that like them growing up the way, there are some really nice smaller ones on the market now, some as low as a few feet, then there are some really nice ground cover roses, these can be pegged into the soil where you want them to grow, my dad used to grow some short climbing roses this way and they looked wonderful, you could sit both these plants at the back of your bed, then as they put on growth, peg the stems forward to where you want them to be, some climbing roses that I have, when all the flowering happens way up at the top of the rose, I prune them, then bend the stems down or vertical and the rose sends out more buds lower down, it seems like the sap falls lower down to where buds are required, other things that can be kept in check is some of the ivies, evergreen and or variegated, but dont go for the fast growing type or you will be swamped by this, there are countless flowering trailing plants too, so go for a look in your library with a notebook for the names as you will also see them in coloured pictures. good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America