Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: ID this dove?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 14, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #4716396

I've only seen this dove in the morning when it's too dark for me to get a good photo. I thought originally that it was a dark version of a white-winged because I saw lots of white when it was in flight, but the white that it does have might stand out more since its so dark. However, the tail is pointed and I'm not seeing white on the wings when perched. Is it a dark Mourning Dove? Its feathers are coming out. Does that mean it's a youngster? Doesn't act young and no parents around.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #4716411

I used the enhance feature to lighten this photo and still the dove looks so dark when compared to the red-bellied woodpecker nearby.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #4716419

Here's the pointed tail.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #4716453

This picture is hard to see, but the comparison may help. The mystery dove is in the lower left corner and in the upper right corner with his head blocked by a branch is a White-winged dove.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4716732

I took this photo a couple of days ago. The White-winged dove had been sunnng on a rock among some oxalis and ajuga flowers where it looked so pretty that I tried to take its photo. Even though I was inside the house, the dove's sixth sense told it that I was taking a photo and so it got up. I took the shot anyway. When I uploaded it, I discovered that there was another dove sunning himself on the rocks behind the White-winged dove. It might be the same dove. If not, it's another very dark one.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #4716955

I'd provisionally say Mourning Dove, but will check again, there's always the possibility it might be an escape from captivity of some other non-native species.

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #4717170

It came back and the sun is out! Still didn't get a good picture though. Can't seem to focus on this one. I left hoping he would bathe in the pond. He's preening like mad and seems very unhappy. I'm sure it's hard being different! I'm adding this photo though to show the very dark shoulders.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #4717253

I knew that if I posted some lousy pictures of this dove, she/he would finally pose for some decent ones! I'm going to add a bunch more that show her back, side, and wings. Here's a shot with the tail splayed.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #4717261

Here is its backside.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #4717268

With the top of the wing visible

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #4717273

under the wing

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4717290

side view

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #4717445

Yep, Mourning Dove, a somewhat atypical dark (melanistic) individual. No other species fits the combination of structure and tail pattern.

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #4717536

Thanks! Do you think its not healthy? Looks like it's missing feathers to me. If so, is there anything that I can do to help it besides clean water and bird seed?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #4717669

Doesn't look too happy, with feathers missing around its neck. Very unlikely there's anything you can do about it though - in the first place, getting a diagnosis of the cause from a vet would mean catching it for examination, and that might be too much stress for it.

Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America