Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Bird ID Help

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've recently seen a bird here in my garden in Houston that I have never seen before and cannot identify. I'm hoping someone on here can help. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a decent photo of it. I did call the Audoban society, but they weren't much help. The bird was a bright orangeish red. Not the color of a cardinal, more like a tanager. It had a yellowish green breast. I mean it truly matched the artist's color sap green. It was slightly larger than a cardinal. Definitely not a finch of any sort. I've looked through my Texas bird book and there is nothing like it in there. The closest I can find is the Summer Tanager, but it doesn't have the yellow breast. Anyone have any idea what this might have been?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

How about immature (one year old) male, or female, Summer Tanager? They do have yellow underparts.

Summer Tanager is actually a little bit smaller than Cardinal, but size is always difficult to judge.

Resin

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks very much. It may have been a Summer Tanager, but this had a perfect oval of sap green, so I'm not sure. They aren't common here, and I've never seen it again after that two or three days in a row. We get a huge amount of migratory birds through this area though, so it could have been anything. I've just never found an illustration in any birding book that looks like it.

I do appreciate the info.

Crow

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.