Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Too soon to put out roses?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
amaliayosa
Todd, NC

March 29, 2008
11:37 AM

Post #4725064

Hello everyone, I purchased four rose 'plants?' at costco and was wondering if it is ok to put them in the ground? I am in zone 6 in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC, right on the VA border, so we are between zones 5 and 6.
They are starting to fill out with leaves.
Thanks
Amy
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #4725217

I don't know when your last frost date is but I have put roses out that had begun to leaf out and as long as they didn't get more than a light frost, they have all done fine. If you put them in and find you are in for some late snow or heavy frost, you could cover them with a large bucket for the night and remove it in the morning.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #4725235

Hi, ...I Amy! I am in zone 7b and have planted roses in winter whenever the ground was workable. I would think that you could go ahead and plant them. Are they bareroot or potted?

Bev

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #4725246

i planted roses a month ago, and moved exiting ones. they are all doing fine
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 31, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4732733

You can plant pot grown Roses anytime the soil is workable, add plenty manure or rose feed to the planting hole to give the roots a good start, IF bare rooted, prune off any dried and dead looking roots, then prepare the planting hole as before, you might also want to do a light prune of the stems, cut on a slant away from an outer pointing bud so any rain/moisture dont sit on the buds and cause rotting, depending on how tall the stems are, you could also make a wigwam with canes for the Roses IF heavy snow was to come, cover with plastic bag, but remove through the day so you dont cause rot, let some air in during the day also. Good luck. WeeNel.
amaliayosa
Todd, NC

March 31, 2008
10:53 AM

Post #4734220

Thanks everyone, I am gonna go for it! I'll keep ya posted.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America