-
AuthorContent
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #4725506

I just brought the Pussy Willows for Easter at a store because I liked the colors and I was going to put a little more water in the vase and I found this growing on the bottom is that roots? Can I start to grow this or is it fake I have never seen this before and I am not sure I am in the right forum.Maybe I should wait a few more weeks to see if it will grow. What do you think?
Dimmer(AKA)Kim

Thumbnail by Dimmer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #4725512

And here is a picture with the flowers

Thumbnail by Dimmer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #4725749

Those are real...most types of willows root very easily (they produce a chemical that helps with rooting...some people will root other cuttings using willow water). The things that usually won't root is when you have a stem with a pretty flower of some sort on it, those most often won't root. But what you have here is basically just a bunch of largish cuttings of a plant that roots very easily.
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #4726045

Thanks That makes me feel good
Dimmer
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 31, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #4732681

Place the willow twigs back in the water till there are some more roots, then set them out in the garden or into large pot till they have enough roots to support themselves outdoors, you can either grow a hedge, plant them in different parts of the garden or keep in pots for next years indoor display, I would prune them once potted up so they will throw out more side shoots for even better display or planting out.
Do remember NOT to plant them anywhere near your buildings as willow have the habit of sending roots into drains, foundations etc in search of moisture, so be very careful if you choose a planting site, but they are also truly wonderful shrubs/trees when they have their catkins on show. well done and good luck. WeeNel.
Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #4734506

Thanks I can't plant for a while yet I still have snow so it will be late in May thanks for the infor
Kim

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America