Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Displaying House Plants: Oh my, oh my!

Communities > Forums > Article: Displaying House Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Displaying House PlantsReplies: 9, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4726018

You really are an enabler! LOL
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 29, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #4726090

hehehe :))
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #4726858

Fun article! Reminds me of myself, thanks.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2008
12:33 AM

Post #4727906

Wow, I had never thought of hanging little hanging pots from the big one. But I can say I did the little pots IN the big one--a banana in a basket gave me a nice safe place for a few little pots tucked in around the banana stem.
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #4728623

I'm the same way!! I make my own pot hangers from ribbon and decorative string so I can put a big saucer under the hanging plant. I used to get water all over the floor before that!
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2008
6:59 AM

Post #4729086

Great article. Wish I could get my DW to see things the way you do...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 31, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #4734441

Aaaaahhhhh...A woman after my own heart. You are describing me perfectly. Well, some of you may as well benefit from my dollars spent. Just recently I caved in and called a Professional Organizer. She has been here twice so far. I learned a few very helpful tidbits.

I had loads of plants sitting on the floor in front of a glass door that we don't use to enter or leave. I also had several carts and a medium sized table in our spare bedroom filled with more plants. Somewhere in our conversation on the Organizer's visit she mentioned that when a person begins running out of floor space, they should begin organizing upwards. Since my houseplants were basically taking over a lot of space in a tiny house, I thought of going upwards with them.

I ordered two Baker's Racks that I put in the spare bedroom. By positioning them facing each other, I had room for most of the plants on the 4 shelves of each rack. This is all in front of the standard sized window in that room. It worked very well to give me back some floor space.

While the houseplants are outside this summer, we will be taking out the one window in that room and replacing it with a sliding glass door that will open on to our front deck. When the plants come back inside, I will have enough sunlight coming through the double doors and I will be able to position the racks with their backs to the door. It will be very pretty indeed.

Loved this article. Thanks bunches.

Ruby
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #4744399

Ruby, what else did the organizer say? I've always wanted to hire one too.

I'd love to see pictures of the finished sliding glass door with racks full of plants.

Harper
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 2, 2008
11:18 AM

Post #4744881

I hope that no one will mind me answering this question here. After this initial answer, we will go to dmail regarding the organizing, if that is okay with sofo.

One of the things she started me doing was to have plastic bins for alike sorts of things. Also to label each side of the bin with the contents. What was bothering me the most about disorganization was a spare bedroom that we have that has just been used sort of for storage for about three years now. We do not have a bed in there and thus it became a catch all place. One of my bins is for gift wrap and bubble wrap. Another bin has all my seeds together in it. There are two bins that are holding the little gifts that I buy when they are on sale and give to people throughout the year.

In that room I had a boat load of magazines. They were taking up 4 shelves of a barrister bookcase. She pulled a cartoon out of her satchel to show me regarding a person having all their magazines with them in heaven, because that is the first time that they had a chance to read them all. I had been fooling myself about reading all of them one of these days. So, the first thing I did was begin getting rid of them.

I need to come back later and finish this. I need to scoot along for the moment and shower for an appointment later this morning. Am making note now to dmail you Sofonisba.

Ruby
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #4745999

Okay with me ruby! Take your time. That's so funny about the person reading their magazines in heaven.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Displaying House Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
IN SEARCH OF: buffy704 2 Jun 7, 2012 11:34 PM
cute story jimneyj 1 Mar 31, 2008 5:21 PM
another idea rosa18 0 Mar 31, 2008 2:31 PM
Really Good pearlsanna 1 Mar 31, 2008 5:22 PM
Too many houseplants 53023 0 Apr 1, 2008 6:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America