Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: House Plants as Décor: From Jumbled to Just Right: How do U clean hoyas or houseplants?

Communities > Forums > Article: House Plants as Décor: From Jumbled to Just Right
bookmark
Forum: Article: House Plants as Décor: From Jumbled to Just RightReplies: 8, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JElisabeth
Montague, MI

March 29, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #4726725

I have a large hoya on a ledge above the door in our main room and below trapezoid windows. It has gotten huge and prolific--nice but now a beast to clean.(I need a ladder.)
Anyone have suggestions how to clean this mini monster? (It is about 4' wide and 4-5 tall
and tendrils running the length of the ridge (6-8 ft) between vases, Grecian busts. etc.!
I'd really appreciate any ideas--or do I have to do it leaf by leaf by leaf??
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #4726907

Wow sounds gorgeous! There is a leaf shine product, which I haven't used-just seen commercial plant care companies use, which might work for you. I don't know how it affects the plant though. Otherwise the leaf by leaf thing might be the best. Try looking up the leaf shine- it comes in a spray can/bottle. Maybe someone else will know of something better.
JElisabeth
Montague, MI

April 6, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6372092

A year later and I still haven't thoroughly cleaned the mini-monster hoya. I have taken a long rod with a plastic duster on it, wrapped in soft toweling and dampened it. It helps! I've had 15 spine surgeries so decided ladders are not in my vocabulary! I hate to have someone take it down! It has traveled up 4-5' to the trapezoid windows and along the ledge as mentioned before. It's in a large cache pot, which I've not even seen for over 3 years. Obviously it doesn't need much soil! I just give it fertilzed water--but I know it would look more glossy if I could get to it! Whether plant shine is the answer, I don't know.Hundreds of leaves!
JElisabeth
Montague, MI

April 6, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6372322

One year later and I still haven't fully cleaned my mini-monster hoya! I've had 15 spine surgeries so getting on a ladder is not in my "vocabulary!" I have taken a telescopic pole with a duster on the end and wrapped soft wet towel on it. I know it would be best to clean each leaf but I just cannot take the risk--and know no one who would! So-I go on this way, I guess. Being there is a shadowy urn wallpaper behind the cachepot , I dare not even try to spray it. It's happy so far despite not seeing any dirt in it for 3 years or more (obviously doesn't mind being pot-bound). I fertilze it every 2 weeks and it merrily goes on its way. I hate to think of getting someone to take it down and start all over again. What a shame.

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6374572

I'm so sorry to hear about your surgeries, but I guess you pulled through well! I think probably if the Hoya is happy, leave it be. It is obviously doing okay with no dirt and dusty leaves, probably how it would be in nature anyhow :) Thanks for the update, I like hearing them.
JElisabeth
Montague, MI

August 17, 2009
9:18 AM

Post #6955568

Aug, 2009. Well, the hoya goes on. It's now in my den and the plant, in an 8" pot has sent tendrils up and around the 2 pane crank-out window. This one I can clean---but NO flowers. I've heard to "starve" them a bit and they'll bloom! (One did in the city as we were getting this place ready for occupation and all I saw when going back to move was one flower and others lying in shambles on the floor! A friend took a cutting one week ago, took home in water and it's already getting roots and also a BUD! Here I have these for 10 years---gorgeous leaves but no flowers. Tomorrow I will cut a new tendril and try her experience! Does anyone know how to tease them to flower? I'd appreciate your experiences!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #8078243

Just a thought, but do you think that blowing it with a hair dryer would blow off some of the dust? I've never tried that, but I've heard that it works for things like dried flowers.
grammyfor4
Stanwood, WA

September 6, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #8083304

I have a Hoya from my grandmother, who got it from my mother - 40 years old or more. Mine will bloom over and over--7 or 8 clusters at a time. It's very root-bound and gets water every10 days or so if it's lucky!! I'm allergic to the smell of the flowers (in the evening), so when they are just at their prime, I have to remove them. If I am careful and leave part of the stem of each flower, it blooms right away again at that same spot. I can always tell if there is one blossom hiding--the fragrance is so strong when I get up early in the morning! I'm afraid I've never cleaned its leaves. I gave a start to my aunt a few years ago, and hers, too, bloomed right away. I must have chosen a spot on the vine where a blossom was destined to be!
sherrymarie
Weatherford, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #8093167

[quote="JElisabeth"]Aug, 2009. Well, the hoya goes on... Does anyone know how to tease them to flower? I'd appreciate your experiences![/quote]

My mom had a similar problem. She had one for years, lots of green and glossy leaves; very gorgeous plant, but it never flowered. When she moved she gave it to my cousin. Within a couple of months my cousin reported it covered in flowers. My guess would be the amount of water. My mom doesn't water much at all. Most of her indoor plants are tall and scraggly (both in a north room and a south).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: House Plants as Décor: From Jumbled to Just Right Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! melody 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:25 AM
House Plants orchid8 2 Oct 11, 2007 1:17 PM
I got a daisy tree for Mother's day swedishbaby 0 Oct 31, 2007 2:31 PM
Pick a back plant-tolmeia Sallie13 0 Sep 6, 2010 7:45 AM
Lilac in OH weezie1052 1 Sep 11, 2010 12:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America