Photo by Melody

Article: The Many and Varied Uses of Rosemary: Inhale!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Many and Varied Uses of Rosemary
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Many and Varied Uses of RosemaryReplies: 21, Views: 202
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #4729817

I love to brush my rosemary and inhale deeply! Rosemary and French tarragon are my most used garden herbs. Unfortunately I have moved one zone colder and they do not survive winter here. Next winter I may pot one up and put it in my root cellar... my house is much too dry in winter.

Thanks for the info on rooting, that may be my answer to always having fresh rosemary.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #4729862

I enjoyed the rooting information, too. It's probably my favorite herb aside from Basil.
planolinda
Plano, TX

March 30, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #4730669

i take my rosemary for granted--it just comes back with no help from me and i never do much with it--well now i have all kinds of ideas for what i can do with it! thanks
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #4730917

Rosemary greens make wonderful filler in floral arrangements and we tuck into wreaths too. I enjoyed learning the other suggestions too.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #4731122

Boo Hoo, I can't grow rosemary with our humidity but I loved your article. Rosemary and eucalyptus are my two very favorite fragrances.

Where do you sell your products? I hope I am not in trouble for asking. Maybe you could dmail me with the site.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4732058

Interesting article- I could make more use of my rosemary bush. I was given a sprig of rosemary 'for remembrance" for my wedding day.
Have you ever grown cuttings and trimmed them to be small Xmas tree shapes? Wondered how long it takes to produce the ones I have bought at Xmas time.
karri_sue
Jacumba, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #4733141

Thank you all for your comments! Sally, I am trying topiaries right now and that seems to be a slow process. I think it would be hard to shape the tree but I may just have to try that! Lenjo, I also use them in arrangements, in fact I use a lot of herbs in my arrangements, I forgot to mention that! Herbs are so useful!
Thanks,
Karen
queenbee244
Madison, AL

March 31, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #4734543

How do you dry your Rosemary? I have a storm shelter under the house that would be perfect for drying herbs. What is the best way to do that? (I would much rather find out from peple that know than take a chance and mess things up!)

Thanks!
Bee
Plantedz
Marlborough, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #4734664

Rosemary is by far my favorite herb! I live in zone 6 and have to rebuy Rosemary each year - would love to have it return as a perennial - any suggestions?
604stretch
Maitland, FL

March 31, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #4734931

To gessiegail
Could your area possibly be more humid than Orlando, FL? (9b) I have grown rosemary for years and the humidity has never been a problem. It stays lush and beautiful all year and I use it where I want small evergreen shrubs. I put the prostrate rosemary near walks and paths. When it grows into a path, it releases that wonderful smell when it is stepped on. If you haven't tried it, do.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2008 10:46 AM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #4735024

Plantedz - This was the first time I had success holding it over winter in a cool northeast window. Never ever let the soil go dry but don't overwater either. It lives best indoors far away from any source of heat.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

March 31, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #4735752

I'm interested in how to dry rosemary, too. How long does it take? I have a large plant I'm going to have to move as it's right against the house. I learned recently this is a no-no when you live in a high fire danger area. So I will dry some and get lots of cuttings started before I remove it.

Whoops! Meant to say Great Article, Karen. Look forward to more tips and info.

Kathleen

This message was edited Mar 31, 2008 10:32 AM
EarthMama
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #4737058

When the Pine Boughs on my fireplace mantel have dried after Christmas, I replace them with some fresh Rosemary Boughs from my herb garden... It's a nice, fragrant way to keep the ever-greenery going through the winter, & a good excuse for some light pruning!
karri_sue
Jacumba, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #4737342

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I had to go back to work today. I dry my rosemary wherever I can find a place for it! I have so much so I spread it out on a pegboard that is laying flat across the top of my grow light
frame. I also hang it but don't put too many stems together or it won't dry as fast. I don't pay much attention to how long it takes to dry but it should be dry in 10 days or so. Put it in the driest room of your house. Queenbee, is your storm cellar humid? That would be my concern if it is. Plantedz, have you tried The ARP variety? They say it should come back in zone 6. I would put it in the most sheltered area of your yard that is in full sun. Try taking cuttings each fall, it is really easy, the only problem is that they don't grow very fast. If you only want it for cooking, that should give you enough. Good luck moving your bush, kaperc, I am trying to dig one up that the low branches have rooted all over the place and it is taking forever! Thanks for all your comments and if you have any more questions, let me know.
Karen
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 1, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #4737496

Well, at least this one is standing straight up! Good luck with yours, too.

Kathleen
bobbysmom447
Whiting, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #4739493

I have had great success with the ARP variety here in zone 6 in NJ. A friend just asked if she could try rooting a cutting and I wasn't sure how successful that would be since the plant is so woody. Mine is now a 3 foot tall by almost 3 foot wide evergreen shrub after 2 years. I will try my luck at rooting a few pieces. Thanks for the info!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4741851

Re low branches rooting- That happened to mine and I'm going to trry- keep fingrrs crossed- to dig it and prune it up sort of bonsai-like , I think it just might be really interesting in a pot. Or die.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

April 1, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #4742396

[quote]Or die.[/quote]

LOL. That's what I like, pragmatism!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #4744091

I love rosemary. One year it wintered over in my area--zone 6. I think I bought the ARP (what does that stand for??) at the Nashville Lawn and Garden Show. BTW, a great show to attend-they had five buildings of stuff on the fairgrounds. I remember them saying the rosemary I bought was to grow better in colder zones, but I can't remember what they called it.

I have also kept a container of it near my south patio door in the winter so I can use it for cooking. I love rosemary under the skin of chicken or turkey. It's also wonderful in marinades and salad dressings. I also like it in focacia bread and other breads. I have purchased rosemary and some other fragrance in liquid soaps. Sooo nice!

To root rosemary, I would think you would need to cut a piece that was very "green" yet--not woody??
karri_sue
Jacumba, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #4744394

Birder, Arp is a town in Texas that it is named after. As far as cuttings go, I have ignored most of the rules! I don't take them in the dead of winter but I seem to have sucess any other time. I have started them in water as well but I find theey don't do nearly as well as the ones I put in potting soil. They are usually past the green stage but not too woody either.
Sally, good luck! You'll have to show us a picture of the bonsai rosemary!
dirt_digger
Longwood, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7945913

Thoroughly enjoyed the article and comments. I started with one of those 3" pots of rosemary from the big box store and put it in a large window box size planter. Everything else in the planter died, but the rosemary is still going strong and I can't even remember when I got it (before I got serious about my log). My neighbors got cuttings when they were cooking chicken and some of their cuttings rooted. I loved reading about the different uses you suggest in your article, as my rosemary seems to be here to stay. I don't give the rosemary anything special, and it grows happily. I love easy plants.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7952081

I buy rosemary every year. I enjoy it's culinary qualities and I also really like its form. I had some in a sunny location in the ground that wintered over but my family wanted the garden space for peppers and eggplant. I think I am going to reclaim that spot since it did winter over.
I visited my girlfriend in Phoenix and they have Rosemary shrubs all trimmed along sidewalks. It looked nice and smelled so good. She was rather uninterested. Isn't it funny when you can have all you want of a plant, you lose interest in it?? She used to live in my area and cherished her rosemary plant!

This message was edited Jul 8, 2010 8:31 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Many and Varied Uses of Rosemary Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
'Scuse me.... ottoson 0 Mar 30, 2008 4:00 PM
Rosemary chippykeyboard 0 Apr 2, 2008 11:08 AM
Rabbit Foor Fern nusi2 0 Apr 19, 2008 11:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America