Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: When do turkeys lay eggs.

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 8, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

March 30, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #4730933

Well, the one Narragansett has decided to live on her own and we only see her occasionally. I think she prefers the wild turkeys to the yard. My other one is still watching TV through the window and I have seen no signs of eggs or broody behavior. It certainly isn't for lack or trying on Tom-Toms part. I fell down on the ice and he even tried to breed me! Stop laughing. I did NOT see the humor while I was trying to get out from under the rabbit pen while beating a turkey off my head. He seem so dissapointed and followed me all the way to the house.

Anyway, if anybodys got an answer or a good guess, let me know.
jcomy
Spooner, WI

March 30, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #4730961

I hope you don't mind my laughing at the picture in my mind! Brings back memories of when I was 15 or so and my girl friend's Dad had a field of turkeys --thousands of them! She and I used to have to water them 2x daily. We would take the water tank hooked onto the tractor to the field. 1 of us had to open the gate for entry and beat cheeks back to the tractor so we could beat the turkeys before they left the gate. Then we raced across the field beyond the mass, one of us had to jump down, pull the tank pin and drop the water tank there, race back to the tractor before the mass (and monsterous Toms) would get there and go after us. They were especially blood thirsty during the bluing season...(mating season...early summer I think) Fond memories! :-)
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #4731588

I too am ROTFLMBO at you both. but i don't have an answer. except my ducks an dgeese are nesting so sounds like time for your turkey to nest... poor TomTom
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

March 30, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #4731798

Oh, my God, jyl, you just made my day!!! I also have no answer, but it isn't quite time for the wild ones to be laying, so probably not quite yet. Just check with DNR (google Michigan DNR.gov) for when the spring turkey season is and that is when the toms are displaying and calling mates. It would be about then.
maineiac
Lincolnville, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #4737535

The wild birds in Maine start to lay around the beginning of May end of April. I don't know how the corresponds to domesticated birds tho. I hope you weren't traumatized by Tommy boy. I have Narrie eggs coming soon. The lady I bought them from said they aren't laying yet, although the Royal Palms are laying well now.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 1, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #4738070

Never mind. The egg sucking beagle just brought in a turkey egg. It's really beautiful with the speckles.
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 1, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #4738094

now you're gonna have to find out where they are hidden.
maineiac
Lincolnville, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4738121

Tie a bell on the beagle and listen for the eggs - you may end up with a rabbit for the stew-pot also...
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 1, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #4738147

I swear this dog follows the birds around with her mouth open under their hinies. The egg was still warm!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America