Photo by Melody

Article: Master Gardeners, Who they are, What they do: WV MGs

Communities > Forums > Article: Master Gardeners, Who they are, What they do
bookmark
Forum: Article: Master Gardeners, Who they are, What they doReplies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MrsFroggies
New Oxford, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #4734420

Way to go on your article! I have been a WVU certified MG going on 3 years now and I am always learning something new, whether it be what weeds are bad weeds or good, how to prune grapevines correctly or how to keep tools sharp. Although volunteer and educational hours vary from program to program, since the MG program I am affiliated with is close to three other states, we offer an educational op every month so people can come and get their hours in, in addition to caring for a number of community gardens to get the volunteer hours in. It is interesting to see what other MG programs are doing, too, so that ours might find something new to try. Thank you for your article outlining the program and hopefully by this years' class (we do one a year) we'll have our newly updated 20 pound manual ready! Find our program at http://www.morgancounty-wv.org/MasterGardeners/MasterGardeners-Home.htm or www.myspace.com/MorganCoMasterGardeners !
dbelcher
Florence, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #4742588

Thank you so much for this wonderful aritcle describing the Master Gardener program. I have been a Master Gardener since 2003 and have enjoyed every minute. Our association provides an annual Workshop and Plant Sale in March for the public. The plants are cuttings from our own gardens which we propagate in a greenhouse loaned to us by our County Extension. This is quite a privilege as the extension does experimentation on crops of various types throughout the year. In the last several years our plant sale has included about 1000 annuals, perennials, tropicals and shrubs of different types. We also maintain the gardens on the Extension property. There are perennial, herb and vegetable gardens on the property. In the past years we have landscaped a Habitat Home and we also provid information at our local Farmers Market in the spring and fall, judge the 4-H tomato contest and the flower competition at our regional fair and many other volunteer projects. You are right that there may be one sour note in an organization, but most all MG's are more than willing to offer any help they can to the comminuty. Once again, Thank You, Linda B from SC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Master Gardeners, Who they are, What they do Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
March 15 Master Gardener Day bugme 12 Apr 1, 2008 3:24 PM
Searching for my niche wannadanc 1 Mar 27, 2008 10:09 PM
Fun being a MG happgarden 0 Mar 28, 2008 12:46 AM
thank you for sharing rubyw 0 Mar 31, 2008 2:08 PM
MG's in Oregon jangoodwin 0 Mar 31, 2008 3:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America