Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Thinking Ahead 101: Following the Sun: Shady place

Communities > Forums > Article: Thinking Ahead 101: Following the Sun
bookmark
Forum: Article: Thinking Ahead 101: Following the SunReplies: 1, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Teddytoo
Melbourne Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #4735127

I live in E. Central FL..There is a spot that is shady ALL the time..I have ferns, Impatience, and some ruella there, but none of them look very happy..The rest of my gardens are doing very well, so I do need some advise for this one !
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2008
11:18 AM

Post #4739426

Good morning!
You didn't describe what "not very happy" looks like, but I suspect that if ferns, impatiens, and ruella aren't flourishing in your full shade spot, either the soil doesn't drain well and the plants have wet feet all the time, OR the soil pH is wrong. I'm leaning more toward too much moisture.

I would suggest buying an inexpensive soil moisture meter (I have this one--http://www.treehelp.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=LL-1817 which I purchased at WalMart for about $14. This model also tests soil pH). If the water content of your shade garden is too high, you'll either need to remove the plants, amend the soil with drainage material, and replant OR remove the plants and build a raised bed, then replant.

Another problem with a shade garden is lack of air circulation and slow moisture evaporation from leaves. Impatiens especially need good ventilation to prevent mildew and rot. Thin the plants to about 6-8 inches apart.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you do and how it works out. Good Luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Thinking Ahead 101: Following the Sun Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good advice bigcityal 3 Mar 8, 2008 11:35 PM
Great timing! darius 0 Mar 8, 2008 10:24 PM
ground cover lady4950 1 Mar 10, 2008 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America