Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Keep Your Feline Frisky! Feed Them Fresh Garden Greens: Cats will thank you!

Communities > Forums > Article: Keep Your Feline Frisky! Feed Them Fresh Garden Greens
bookmark
Forum: Article: Keep Your Feline Frisky! Feed Them Fresh Garden GreensReplies: 11, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2008
10:47 AM

Post #4739378

Cats all over will thank you for suggesting that their companions plant greens for them.

I plant bowls of oat grass all winter for the shop cat. He devours it and the excitement shows when I walk in with a fresh bowl. Incidentally, if anyone worries about cat barf from eating it, this guy will barf outdoors grass but never has a problem digesting the oat grass.

I also plant catnip, but that's another story. Thanks for the article.
bhaugh
Norfolk, VA

April 1, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #4739867

great article! I have a cat that will steal the lettuce off your cheeseburger if you turn your back long enough!!

oh, and he will fight you for a piece of pizza or cheese...go figure
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4740256

Informative...my cats and I thank you!!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #4740437

Hi GGG! LLLOOONNNNGGGG time no talk to!

I really enjoyed your article. Do you live anywhere near Trussville? I'll be coming through in May on my way to Orlando...

Pat
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #4740516

Great article with lots of good information. I'll have to try this for our cat. Thanks for sharing! :)
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #4740835

I grow whole oats for my cats alternating pots so that I have a new batch by the time they finish the old one.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #4741202

My cats & dogs eat grasses from the yarden and will eat some of my houseplants - never had a sick cat from that yet - will not touch salads or other greens. And they will not eat the commercial foods that have the veggies in them. They hate potatoes in all forms, will only eat small amounts of shredded carrots in stew, no celery at all, etc. Go figure. Maybe they would eat these grasses tho. Worth a try. I have wheat, rye, barley & milo berries on hand. The wheat & rye are in the freezer tho so that may affect germination.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #4741610

Hmmmm, maybe it's time I tried this... Thanks. :)
Chilko
Precipice Valley, BC
(Zone 2a)

April 7, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #4771408

Glynis, how did you get a picture of MY cat???My Mojo looks identical. He rarely eats the wheat grass I grow for the other cat and my dog, though. Perhaps I should try oats or rye--hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

I've read that all black, short haired cats always have some Siamese in them. Have you heard that?

Rosemary
dianne99
Brookville, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4773693

It works. My cat attacked my false aralia until I got him some grass. He learned very quickly to eat it instead--I'm still experimenting with varieties to find his favorite. He hasn't thrown up on it ever. AYankeeCat is right about needing several pots going. I want to hear about the catnip! I had a sweet cat who bit me hard after his first, and last, encounter with catnip, and have shied away since...I was afraid maybe it caused stress or something?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #4775069

Only a couple of cats of our five cats have the catnip gene. One, Scraps prefers his dried and rolls in it. It does make him a bit more aggressive.

The other one that likes it wants hers fresh. This was an old series of photos with her and the catnip stash...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/607802/

I am not sure what effect it has on them but apparently frees their inhibitions. I won't mess with Scraps the male cat after he has rolled in and eaten his dry 'nip. He can be a little rough.

Pookie May is rough all the time. Doesn't enhance her personality alot. LOL
phillipb
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9103940

My cat seems to like young Arugula... also the wheat grass and fresh cat nip leaves. She is old and her stomach is occasionally upset for one reason on another. Greens seem to help her.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Keep Your Feline Frisky! Feed Them Fresh Garden Greens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Now I see why I couldn't find cat grass vossner 5 May 10, 2012 9:51 AM
My Dolly loves her cat grass!! Sunflower1888 0 May 2, 2011 10:10 AM
Cats and greens dordee 0 May 3, 2011 3:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America