JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #4739611

Well, Today is April's Fool Day!

I just don't want heard any of April's Fool Day... lol...

Have a good day!

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #4740771

Hey thanks Rusty, some of us were still in March. Make sure you read the article today about the rare plants, it is really interesting! http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/695/
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 1, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #4740801

the only april fool here is the weather
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #4740819

I hate that too, Rusty. They are usually so dumb. But Jack always did complain that I have little sense of humor. So much of what the world sees as funny is someone else's misfortune or injuries & I just can't take pleasure in that. Practical jokes don't set well with me either.

Crisp here today. The weather man said there would be a 40* drop in temps over night but I think he missed it a bit. We have had a 20* drop but I think that about it. I won't be weeding until it warms up a bit. This moist cool weather and my body don't get along well. I don't know how some people my age do as much as they do and I am so happy for them that they can, but my body just won't. And pushing it beyond what it wants to do is disasterous as my family, close friends and I, my doctor and the local hospital well know.

Pain meds are starting to work so I will start cleaning drawer fronts and putting the drawers back in. I'm tired of having to look for items I need/want to cook with. Sorting thru the recipe drawer will be a very long job. So much to decide to keep or pitch. I love to cook, but with Jack not here to try new things out on it does seem silly to keep all those wonderful recipes I keep finding. I have had some for years and never have made them for one reason or another. Mostly because they are in the bottom of the drawer and I forgot about them. I am trying one new one today that I found. A zucchini dish with onions, lots of cheeses and cream which will be switched to low fat milk.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #4740838

Don't pitch the recipe cards, save them and pass them to a new bride/groom. A woman I worked with did this for me and I still use many of them.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #4740839

Oz, I could certainly enjoy a nice big boneless fish fillet. I will even cook it myself.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #4740845

I talked to my sister this a.m. and she was dreading April Fools Day. She teaches 2nd Grade. Said she'd be told multiple times today that there was a spider in her hair. LOL!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #4740848

Now you have to love 2nd graders, they are adorable!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #4740851

Cathy, they aren't cards. They are out of or maybe even still in magazines, newspapers, etc. But I'll gladly bring them to the RU and let others go thru and take what they want.

I am certainly enjoying the magazines Rusty brought to the last RU. I need to copy what I want out of them and pass them on at the next one. I hope you bring more, Rusty. They are a gold mine for me. I have learned a lot from them.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #4741291

I teach sixth graders and I have give them all a "pop" quiz. LOL after a few questions about some subject I then ask them what the date is. It really gets them riled up. ha ha.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #4741552

I will bring more magazines for RU and another RU too!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2008
12:33 AM

Post #4743095

Today was a little crazy for me. I had meant to play some jokes (just funny ones) but forgot it was April Fool's Day. Then I was told we had 3 people staying in Daycare instead of 2 like we were told. Even Admin didn't know about that one.

Then I managed to smack my head on a ladder above me and now I have a black eye and a lump on my head. That made me a bit cranky. lol.

And finally I get told we have a seminar after our staff meeting tomorrow so no work will get done in the afternoon. I would much rather work than sit there all afternoon. *sigh* I just can't win today. :~)

I love little kids on April's Fool's. They can get you good! LOL
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #4743114

Oh, pepper, that's too bad about the black eye! I pulled a phone book off the shelf today and smacked myself between the eyes with it. I have a little cut, but no bruises. Rang my bell pretty good. I feel bad for you sitting in a seminar. I agree -- that's gotta be the worst and rather be working.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4743183

That's something that I would do!! LOL.

Yeah, if I work then I can work off all the food I will eat. But by making us sit there they are torturing us. LOL. It's a seminar on lifting properly. Somewhat needed but not really wanted when the weather is nice and there is work to be done to prepare for the crowds next month.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #4743365

I'm so sorry you have hurt yourself, Pepper. Ladders can really get you. So can books on shelves. Sorry to hear about that one McGlory. I don't mind seminars if they are on something I don't already know and am interested in hearing. Proper lifting may need to be retold & reinforced information & practice but it isn't very interesting.

I have the drawers back in and some of them sorted thru and relined. Others will have to wait for that. I had a lot of junk to throw out. Lots of electric cords with only one end or no ends at all filling up a drawer. They are now just in a plastic sack and will go into the garage or hang on a hook in the attic stairwell. We store a lot of things there. There is a pretty good size area at the base and the steps are wide and deep so part way up I have hooks for stuff too.

I'm getting sleepy already so I need to start winding down for the evening, be sure to catch the 9 o'clock news and go to bed. It is already dark outside.

The birds are going thru way too many of those black oily sunflower seeds. It is breaking my budget. Do any of the rest of you use them? My one squirrel(that I see anyway) likes them too. I have seen the chickens over there cleaning up a few times but there are a lot lying on the ground and quite a few sprouting. I think tomorrow I'll take a whisk broom and dust pan out there and clean up those on the ground. I can feed them to the baby chicks or degus.

Pepper, thanks for the notice of the meeting. I talked to Ann and won't be coming up. Fuel is too expensive for just a couple hours of volunteer work. Plenty to do here to do around here.

Bless and keep each of you.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #4743424

We feed our birds sunflower seeds also and we have to refill all of our feeders at least once a week.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4743687

OK I have a question and I am sure it will seem simple to most but I still have to ask it. On the seed packet it has plant spacing recommendations. Are they talking about each seedling or do some seedlings need to grouped for this recommended spacing?

Also here is a pict of my latest project. My roomate was able to borrow a sod cutter and for some reason I decided to transplant my rose of sharon to the corner of the yard and make a planting bed. I have some Fountain Buddleia bushes coming and I thought of a Forsythia mixed in there also. I have some native St. Johns Wart I thought would look nice too. What are some of you guys thoughts? The rain ruined my spring break. I was hoping to have moved all the sod to bare spots in the yard.

Thumbnail by allanme79

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #4743944

As soon as you can, get some newspaper and mulch the area. It will help and you can plant right through it.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #4745797

Allenme, yes, newpapers. And some cardboards. Feed sacks with plastic lining removed it they have it. I say some cardboads because not all cardboard is alike. I have some that deteriorated in less than a month to just mush. Other sheets have been there for 2 years and still in good condition. I never know when I put it down which is which. Most farm feed sacks will last quite a long time. If you really want weed kill and have most of the season in which to do it, black plastic works well. Water the soil well & then lay the plastic. The sun shining on the b.p. heats up the soil underneath and the moisture almost turns to steam which is very hard on seeds and weed roots. Kills most of them. Some people remove the plastic periodically and disturb the soil somewhat to bring a new crop of seeds to the top, rewater, then replace the plastic. This is a common way of 'sterilizing' the soil for future use.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #4746188

What about that black fabric stuff? Is it any count?
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #4746503

Allen, I first saw it at Powell Gardens several years ago when it kind became popular. They had it under an outside bench of plants. The weeds either managed to get thru the tiny micropores or wose yet sprouted on top of it and sent the roots thru the holes. To pull out the weeds you had to remove that section of plastic material. You could cut the roots off on top of the fabric but that wasn't enough to kill many of the grasses and weeds. Total waste of money. I think they removed it that fall. I had gotten some because I thought that if they thought it was a good product I would like it to. WRONG! It was an experiment that didn't work for either of us. I have used old jute backed carpet with about the same results. You can use a herbicide on the plants that spout on or under them tho. It did seem to do some good but certainly not as good as solid heavy weight black plastic. Clear or white plastic yielded only lots of somewhat chlorotic weeds. No reduction in weed population at all that I could tell. I hope this helps you.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #4746660

I am hoping once I get the shrubs in and after a few years they will take care of the undergrowth. I am just wanting to screen off my house from the public road. I am thinking of lining the edges with hostas not sure though. I may be better off with daylilies. I need to watch how the sun affects that area as the summer goes.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #4752630

Quoting:"I talked to my sister this a.m. and she was dreading April Fools Day. She teaches 2nd Grade. Said she'd be told multiple times today that there was a spider in her hair. LOL!

This really made me laugh because it's what I told my 3 yr old gr-d to say to her mom, but she forgot.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #4759535

We are suppose to get some temps in the '70s next week. I've asked Holly and Kyle to help me put in posts and attach fencing so I can actually have potatoes that only get planted once, swiss chard & spinach that I will be able to harvest, etc. If I don't do a good job of fencing the poultry will destroy everything before it gets a good start. Once the plants are going pretty well the birds don't do as much damage to most of them.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #4770145

If you are coming to the RU, please go to the threads for food, etc. and help us keep up to date on the who is coming, what food(s)you are bringing, what plants you have for trade and want from others. It is less than 2 weeks away so we need be getting fine tune organized.

I need to start digging plants for those who want starts. If you want something from me that I have mentioned haveing extras of please let me know by this weekend. I only have today, Thursday, Sat. next Mon., Tues, and Wed. to have myself totally ready.
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #4772427

Just checking in here to see whats happening. Want more time outside to work in the yard and garden but it needs to warm up again like this past weekend. 70 degree weather would sure be nice and it can just stay that way. Cleaned branches up from the Dec. ice storm and will do that a little at a time. Some will need a chainsaw near the edge of the timber. Filled my gas cans and bought a little diesel for the small tractor. Wow is that getting to be expensive. I heard name brand cereals are really going to shoot up in price. We don't buy to much name brand anyway. What you say about this??

Cuckoo
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #4772445

we switched to oats, less boxed cereal. I make muffins with bananas, too, for breakfast.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #4772454

Oatmeal at my house too. Cheerios when the great niece comes to visit. :-) Why are they supposed to shoot up in price anyway?
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #4772466

cathy 4... Love that kind of food anyway. Most food, gas, etc. is going up and up. We are milk drinkers and that has continued to shoot up.
Cuckoo
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #4772563

It is killing my daughter & the grands, you can't cut back on milk for the kids. The price of cereal is going up for several reasons, the cost of fuel for machines/trucks, etc. and making corn into fuel instead of food. This means the meat producers have to pay more for animal food, too. It just spreads up the food ladder.
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #4772612

Yep... and were caught in the middle too. No escape from eating and buying gas and petroleum products.
Cuckoo
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2008
4:12 AM

Post #4774266

YEP is right, the pumpkins used to be able to select a favorite cereal when we grocery shopped, Post's Banana Crunch, but the price went from $3.29 to $5.99! At that price , maybe we'll dip a banana in some corn flakes and sprinkle some choppped walnuts over it! Don't know if the pumpkins will like it...oh well... it's going to be more of cream of wheat and bagels with cream cheese at our house.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
5:25 AM

Post #4774544

put a small scoop of ice cream in the bowl like grandma did for my kids, they ate any cereal she had that way.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #4775313

Cathy~ Thanks...that's a great idea..even for snacks!
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #4775887

Hey guys I have been thinking of some flowing yuccas for a part of my flower bed. They just seem like something that would be easy care and look good in the winter. I don't know anything about them other than I see them in a lot of different places. What do you guys think?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #4775911

I personally think yuccas are the ugliest plant alive if they aren't cut back regularly. Just my 2 cents. If you like the look, get some.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4775954

Well I am being indecisive on what to plant in my flower bed for anchor plants. I know with my limited gardening experience I need hardy plants. I would prefer something that will grow less than 5 tall and look fair in the winter for a corner section of my house. There was a Rose of Sharon and looked great but it covered the kitchen window.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #4776054

I haven't grown yuccas yet, but plan to add some soon. I like them!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #4778324

Just a warning on yuccas. If you plant them, plant them where you will never dig them up. They can get invasive in some yards and are a pain to dig up. But other than that there's no major problems. lol
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #4778748

For something to look green during our winters yucca and Arum Italicum are about it.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4778999

I have some dwarf hollies that are really nice in the winter. They have been very hardy, and bought small they weren't expensive.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4779026

I have a large holly in my front yard. I like it pretty well. I need to trim it though. I would really like a Japanese Maple however I don't really have a green thumb or a large wallet.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #4779164

I'm not up to babying any Japanese Maple either. They don't like wind, and I have lots, and there are few hardy to Zone 5. Sigh. Sure are pretty though.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #4779427

I forgot, Globe Arborvita aren't very tall and they stay green. So does Blue Rug Juniper. Be aware tho that bag worms love arborvitas. I've eventurally lost all of mine to them. If I had been more observent tho it wouldn't have happened.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008
12:22 PM

Post #4780545

Ugg bag worms. They killed a spruce and a juniper of mine. Luckly I was going to cut them down anyways. They had done the damage before I bought the house.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 9, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #4782764

these are the flower we got right now
we start are green house but it not doing good to cold
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 9, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #4782778

here is what new here
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #4783696

I started using Yucca in the heavy gravel and stone area along the lake front on top of the seawall. Wife is totally against it but they look right down there and we will not have to ever move them. We haqd yacca a couple of other places in the yard when we bought this place and it took severall years to get rid of them.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #4783732

Question do some plants need darkness to germinate? I have some seeds that have not came out yet and I have the lights on 24/7.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #4785069

Most seeds need darkness to germinate. Especially if they are self sowers in natural settings. Length of light/dark, temps during each period, moisture, etc. all play a part in germination. I can only think of a few that will germinate in nature that don't need darkness. Since seeds lying on the surface of the soil are likely to be eaten by birds, insects, critters, etc. those must either have a bad taste or smell or some repellent.

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #4786048

humm, does this mean that they won't germinate now since I have had the lights one for so long or should will they be OK if I start turning thiem off?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #4786580

Row, Row, Row my boat...boy is it raining again, everyone stay dry!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #4786608

We've got it here too.
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

April 10, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4786671

Here tooo.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #4786705

It's raining here too..a nice chili and orange cornbread muffins kind of day!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #4786737

Yum, we are having veg soup with cornbread pancakes.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4786769

Uhmmmm!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #4786915

Oh, you guys! I'm stuck at work with microwave popcorn and PopTarts because I forgot my lunch. Someone want to bring me cornbread? ;-)
daltri_z5
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #4787002

I'd bring you lunch, but it wouldn't be homemade. I have to take my son to the Dr. at 11:30 so I could pick up some fast food somewhere.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #4787073

Well, last night it so bad T-storm and sure it got flooding into my crawling space full so I final lucky for sump pump for that and sure it really bad!

Anyway, I just watch the dvds and sure I just love the movie is "The Water Horse" and "I am Legend"

It 9 more days to Round-Up... I got all ready and I gonna make pumpkin muffins next week before I go Round-Up...

Rusty couldn't wait to get on road trip! lol...

Pepper23, please entry for me at PG's ticket...

See all ya...

Pic- Tulip curly bloom 3 days ago...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #4787098

LOL! You are such a sweetheart, daltri! I have a car, could pick up fast food, but much too lazy. Sweet of you to offer, but I'll make do with popcorn. I am looking forward to beef stew from the Crock Pot when I get home from work. The house will smell so good!

Rusty, you have tulips in bloom??!! I'm so jealous! I have buds on some of the older daffodils, but nothing blooming yet. That's really a pretty one too. I like the curlies.

Handsome Man just called that a big box came in the mail. Am expecting a UPS one today too. Wish the weather report for the weekend was better. I weeded and did some general clean-up Tuesday night until it got dark. That sure felt good.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 10, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #4787163

here rain too
we can not go play lol
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4787638

Let me see, which is closer, Lansing, KS or ST Louis, Mo? Both meals sound so good I want each of them. lol I'm having a Nutrisystem chicken salad pouch with Romaine lettuce on 1/2 of a 12" spinach totilla. And water. I don't care what 'they' are now saying about us not needing 64 oz. of water a day I'm going to make an effort to continue to do it because I know I feel better and can lose weight better if I do.

I have a job interview at a new local cafe' at 2 this afternoon. May GOD's will be done. I feel as tho HE sent me there to apply for work in the first place and prompted me to follow up on it last week. So when I found the call on my answer machine when I came into the house last night I called them back. I just have to make sure I don't accept too many hours and overdo. I'm sure it will cut into my volunteering time somewhat. If this doesn't work out I've pursue advertising that I will do light housecleaning and light garden and yard work this season. I will only work by the job as hourly wages can either get a customer in over their heads or me cheated.

I got my one large Hansa rose stalk(?)staked and tied up with old knee length panty hose this morning. I set a box of the starts from PG out on a table and need to get more out of the van. I checked the weather online for this area and don't see the frost they were talking about in the K.C. area the other day so I'll start planting outside when I get back from the interview. Lots of pretty red lettuce, some mustard that isn't too peppery for me at this size anyway, dozens of zinna & petunia starts, etc. I'll share with Holly of course and plant a few pots for Kris to take home when she comes next time or at the RU.

It rained off and on here during the night and early morning. Nothing for a few hours now and it is soaking in fairly well. With our heavy poorly draining black gumbo soil it is foolish to expect fast drainage. The ducks and geese love the low places in the yarden and are swimming around in them. It's hard on the worm population tho.

Rusty, that is a lovely tulip. None of our are in bloom or even bud that I can see. Daffs are blooming everywhere tho. The bees must be starving. They are all over the Henbit and Gill Over the Ground blooms.

The forsythia that Geraldine gave me a few years ago is in full bloom and beautiful The clove shrub will be blooming soon. It is so fragrant and blooms a long time.

Must get moving. GOD bless and keep each of you.

garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #4787679

Leaflady~ you know you are more than welcomed to chili anytime! Prayers for your job interview with GOD's favor granted.

My yard is mucky right now too. The pumpkins won't be happy, they sulked yesterday because they couldn't play out back! Funny little pumpkins.. if the sun was out they would complain about the insects flying about, but I do prefer fresh air playtime anyday..bugs or not!

Well, guess it's time to get off the computer...
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

April 10, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #4787851

Hey Eva Mae, I planted my mexican sunflower seeds from you and they are sprouted. Yea. I started them in starofoam cups. Also all the other seeds I got from the RU are sprouting. I don't know if we will make the RU this time or not. We will have the kids that week end and unless misty is free I wouldn't attempt to take all three with us. They are fairly good kids, but keeping up with them is another story.LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #4789615

It only rained this morning for the most part at work today. We did get a strong rain surge about 2:30. Wind was so strong it was blowing the rain sideways. Kinda like watching a hurricane or tornado. Didn't last long though and the sun was back out again.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #4789622

Oh and I have bunching tulips blooming and daffies have buds on them.
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4789935

After all the rain and the sunshine coming out I went out mushroom hunting (morels) none found. Need more warm days. But I did find this in the woods , my first violet for the spring season

Thumbnail by Lindawalkabout

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #4790680

Ally, I will totally understand if you don't come with the children. There is so much women our ages can do. And you will have your DH to look after too. I'm so glad your Tithtonia seeds have sprouted. That gives me hope that they may just self sow. On the other hand you kept yours inside where it was warm & I'm hoping just leaving them outside in the cold was ok. Time will tell.

The interview consisted of 2 questions. Can you wash dishes? & can you be here at 5 o'clock? The answer to both was yes so I was there about 4:45 & washed dishes, cleaned the bottom and part way up the walls of a freezer that really needed it. Did quite a bit of other cleaning that really needed to be done but over all it wasn't too bad. I was told I was fine for the job if I wanted it. Then he mentioned that I can also prep, grill, deep fry, steam table, etc. I said yes & that the only place they never want to put me is out front as a waitress. The only 'uniform' is black pants and a green shirt. Any shade green is fine. Any kind of black pants seem to be ok. I will give notice a my old job tomorrow. Actually I'll email the youngest daughter who does the hiring of help tonight. So everyone will know by the time I get there at 2 tomorrow. I want them to have plenty of time to find a replacement for me. Since the place is on the market they may not bother to hire anyone. And the place may have sold this week. All I do know it that I felt GOD told me to apply at this new job so I did. And gave GOD as the way I knew about it. The new bosses know the old ones and say they hope there are no hard feeling about my change. One thing is sure different. At Lazy Days(been there 7 years)there was often a terrible amount of dirty dishes left until the next day. Not here. Everything is cleaned and put away before anyone leaves.

Linda, the violets are blooming here too. Both the solid blue and the white with lavender centers. I have found the Freckles plants but no blooms so far this year. I haven't fertilized for about 3 years and that may make a difference. I know it does for a lot of plants I raise. I need to be getting the roses fed their special foods. And go to Starbucks to see if they still have free coffee grounds. If not I'll just buy some coffee grounds and use them. I also need to be saving my egg shells for them.

Elle, the plants look nice. Most greenhouses need heat to do well in early spring. That will deminish profits considerably. I have a good size stack of 6 pack cell packs for you and a few more plug trays of varying sizes.

I'm getting rather sleepy so I think I need to go to bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4792239

Congratulations on the new job, leaflady! It does sound like just the right one. :-)
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #4792344

Heres another congrats leaflady on your new job.

Have a great weekend everyone
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 11, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #4792457

congrats about the new job
i can write much
working night shift still
it killing me no sleep
can not help with animal
because trying to sleep or working
windy today
god bless every one
elle
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #4792564

Congratulations four here, Leaflady!

It's very windy here as well. But planted out a few conifers and pruned the knockout rose. Would have been much more fun if the sun was out, but did get some dirt time, which is good!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #4792624

"Dirt time", I know exactly what you mean and how happy that makes us!

Congratulations 5, Leaflady, I hope this job is perfect.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #4793100

CONGRATULATION 6 on you job, Leaflady!

Darn so cold here and windy, too! BBBBrrrr it now 44 and wind chill 38...
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #4794456

Way to go leaflady!!!!!! Now don't let them work you so hard you can't enjoy the outdoors and yours plants this spring and summer. Nothing is worth giving up growing flowers, vegetables, etc. Hope you like the new job alot.

Cuckoo
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #4794480

Rusty56 Your right it is really cold. It's windy and around 40 degrees and dropping here in N.W. Missouri. I hope to prune my fruit trees tomorrow weather it's cold or warm.
I need to get it done. Warmer weather is coming though.

Cuckoo
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #4794971

Windy and cold here also. That wind really made it hard to work outside but those of us who had to deal with it managed. :~)

I am really, really, looking forwards to the warm weather next week. We need it baad!!
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #4795065

Do I need to put some mulch on my daff and tulips? I hear they are calling for snow.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #4795100

It depends on whether there are buds on them. I have lots of buds on my tulips so I went ahead and put sheets on them so I wouldn't lose them. I want a show this year before I move them to make room for blueberries. Otherwise they should be ok.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4795187

Well, I did check out for the weather next week sooooo, it will be raining and next day Sunday is partly cloud...

I wish to dance (Native American) for clearing day... lol...

Just don't say words! lol...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4795242

DON'T SAY IT!!! It will not happen. It will be nice and sunny and WARM. LOL
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #4795789

It was so hard to tell them I am no longer going to be there. The girls assured me that there is a good reason for it. I did quite a bit of crying. Yvonne had to hold back tears too. Dale was glad I have a job that pays better and was very nice all evening. He was the one I expected to be mad at me. One of the girls told him tho before I got a chance to. I wanted to tell both Dale and Yvonne at the same time. But that didn't work out. Anyway, I sneaked out without all the teary goodbyes and cried half the way home. I'll make sure I go there to eat sometimes when I'm off. Cuckoo, I will indeed have to watch how many hours I get scheduled for. I told her this morning I only want about 20 hours and would like them in 2 long days. She seemed to like that idea. We'll finally meet and talk tomorrow. I have to be there at 8 in the morning.

I need to get to bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #4805276

I'm glad all went so well for you, leaflady. It does sound like you are doing the right thing.

I did get out in the yarden this weekend, although yesterday was pretty cold and both days were super windy. I got cleaning up and weeding done in three out of four flower beds, planted 35 lilies, potted up 49 plants that came in the mail and am hoping they will live through a few more nights of freezing temps. They're in the garage. (Crossing fingers)

Still need to get to that fourth flower bed and the vegetable garden. My muscles sure ache tonight, and I swear my ears are still frozen! Too bad weeds are coming up so well.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #4806630

McGlory, it has been chilly outside. I think you got hit very hard last night. Right? Or did they miss you?
daltri_z5
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #4806705

Oh my goodness McGlory, you're industrious. The weather was too cold for me to be out working--I'm kind of a weiny that way. I can take the heat, I just can't take the cold.

I took a class on garden photography Saturday afternoon but due to the weather and lack of blooms yet, we didn't go outside to take any pictures.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4806764

I'm not sure how cold it got last night, leaflady, but we haven't had precipitation since Thursday. We had some good rain, so it made weeding easier. Originally we were predicted to have 28 degrees last night and 24 tonight, but I see the forecast has changed to stay above freezing tonight. Let's hope they're right for once.

I looked like a dork out there weeding and cleaning up. LOL! Turtleneck, sweatpants, sweatshirt, parka with hood up and tied, thick white socks, garden shoes, and garden gloves. I'd have to go in and thaw out when my hands got wet. LOL!

Supposed to have better weather, so I'm planning to be out there tonight and tomorrow night after work. Hope my babies in the garage survive.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #4806818

McG, you are not alone in your gardening attire, haha.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #4809660

I need to uncover my tulips. Just got home from celebrating so I better do it now since it will be warm tomorrow.
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #4809906

McGlory I'm trying to get some things done too and it's stayed cold and icky way to long for me. I cleaned the garage this past weekend and had to dress warm because it was windy and snow flurries were falling from the sky.The garage was cold and later I put a little electric oil heater in there to warm it up so I could get the pit (garage)cleaned up!! When it warms up someday I am going to be overwhelmed with stuff to try and do all at once.
Cuckoo
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
1:27 AM

Post #4809919

It is supposed to warm up tomorrow. I hope it stays warm all week cause I have stuff to do outside too!!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #4809937

I got about one-third through the last flower bed before dark. Why are the dangblasted weeds here already??? ARGH! All I did was weed! I didn't even get last year's perennials cleaned up.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4809984

I was out partying today so no outside work got done. But we are still sopping wet so I couldn't do much anyways. lol
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4809993

Not only are the weeds here...some of them as big as small shrubs!!!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2008 8:38 PM
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4810003

It's suppose to warm up tomorrow... They keep saying that now whens it going to happen and last for more than a day? ha ha
Cuckoo
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4810004

With roots extending to China!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #4810068

LOL. I wish it would stay warm for awhile. The plants need it as badly as we do!!

McGlory, EvaMae kills her weeds with diesel fuel. A bunch of us have some good stories on that. LOLOL
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #4810334

I like to chase their roots clear across the yard. :-) If that doesn't work, I might write EvaMae for the diesel fuel secret. (Giggle)
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #4813175

No secret, just diesel fuel mixed equal parts with weed or brush killer. Apply to what ever part of the plant the weed or brush killer says to. With huge tap roots I often use Tordon RTU with the diesel fuel and apply it to the root after I cut off the plant at ground level. That seems to work quite well. You need to remember tho that Tordon can spread out init surrounding soil several feet so think twice before applying it close to perennials. I nearly killed our huge Hansa Shrub rose with it but the poke weed had just taken over the area and I couldn't get rid of it any other way. The roots were way too big to dig out and some of them were intangled with the rose bush roots. That is where the real killing of it came into play.

New job is keeping me very tired. I need to go back to bed for an hour and then leave.

McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #4813271

Oh my goodness! I find it hard to believe that the new job is making you tired, because you're obviously one tough cookie! Diesel fuel AND Torton? Holy cow! Wait until I tell Handsome Man! You'll have his undying respect for sure. :-)

Hope you have a good day and that the new job is going well. Two ten-hour days on your feet sounds exhausting to me.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #4813376

I'd be dead keeping those hours!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4814770

Well, I did plant 10 Colorado Blue Spruce baby trees... So, I trying clean up the mess from Webb House all the wood at my home which I remove the look alike floor thing so I notice what is this? Oh, I just bother the 3 tiny spotted eggs in nest is small orange wern... That why Rusty been bugging it...
So, I did put it back belong and not bother it!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #4814886

I've done 2 tens before and it has thrown me for a loop for a few days before. Plus last year when we had our Spooktacular at Halloween I worked Friday, Fri nite, Sat nite and all day Sunday. Then came back to work on Monday for normal work. I was out of it pretty good. lol

I hope that the eggs hatch!!
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #4815140

Well I have been pretty busy this week. I have transplanted a bush (not sure what kind), a runt bradford pear, and planted two white pines. Let me tell ya my arms are wore our. I have also ordered a sunburst honeylocust from nature hills. I looked at their reviews it was mixed but it was the only place online that I could find one. None of the nursery's here have it. I just hope my labor in a few years pans out with a nice lawn. My seedlings are coming a long pretty good but I have noticed than some of the plants tap root is small and not going into the mix. The plant is a few inches tall and looks good but I wonder why the root isn't going in very well?

This message was edited Apr 15, 2008 7:41 PM
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2008
11:34 AM

Post #4816199

I didn't get my 10 hour days but I have done them before many times. As a nurse I worked a lot of 12 hour shifts. As it is I usually work 6 hours at a time on this job on the evening shift and 7 on the day shift. Usually I'm only scheduled for 3 shifts a week but I worked an extra shift this week because the evening dishwasher couldn't come last night to fill in. There were lots of prayers going up for me from some of the other help. One of them knows I have been disabled by strokes and fibromyalgia for years. What she didn't know is that I am not working for the fun of it. Many people around here think I inherited the farm when Jack died so I would have the income from it. They don't know that he only had the right to live here and use the income and that as soon as he died it became the children's. So I am at their loving mercy in living here. But my youngest DD took the house since her son who Jack & I helped raise said this was HIS house. That means I am sure of a home here as long as I am able to live alone. And when I am no longer able to live alone in this house or live here at all even with someone with me the funeral home will pick up my dead body. I have no intention of ever living in a facility of any kind.

Must go and get myself ready for PG. GOD bless and keep each of you.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #4816474

Sounds like everyone is busy with one thing or another. Last night I planted out some Platycodon that came in the mail. Horribly windy here, but my spot was somewhat protected from wind, so I planted all 21 of them. That's all I got done. My neck and shoulders hurt today, so I can tell gardening season has started. A couple of days ago it was my fanny muscles. LOL!
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #4816528

Just watch the long hours. I used to do about 60 or more a week for weeks on end. I missed a lot. I am afraid I passed that on to my son. He will sometimes work for months on end without a full day off and most of those days will strech well beyond 8 hours.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 16, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #4818867

i hear that about all them hour.
i went i night shift 10pm-6am
i leve at 6.30am,
3 or 4 night in a row
can not sleep in the day
i lay around all day
get 2 day
1 day in bed all day
the next 1 i get to do some thing
trying to get back to my 2 pm - 10 pm
well need to go need to eat and get ready to go to work
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4818969

elle, why don't you ask your doctor for a sleeping aid so you can get some sleep? Sleep deprivation is dangerous to your body and mind. You can function well when you have not had enough sleep. Meletonin works for some people, Benedryl helps some people. Others need a prescription med to sleep. That is where I am. Sometimes I need all three.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #4824315

WOW, I had a busy day today. I teach at a middle school and outside our classroom there were a few large garden beds that were overgrown with weeds. So I decided to do a two day service learning project to clean them out. Before the day was over I had a truck full of brush. The kids loved it!! Some of them said they never worked so hard. lol. I have several cheap annuals and some veggies seeds they are going to plant in tomorrow. I was amazed at how some kids who I figured would never get their hands dirty jumped right in there and pulled those weeds.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #4824340

Another generation of gardeners born. Yeah!!!
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4824469

I'm sure your tired allanme79 but you've got to feel good about putting the bug in their ear to garden. You said they loved it and I bet you did too!! Wait until those seeds come up...!!and when they bloom...!!and...then like pepper said another generation of gardeners are born!!

Cuckoo
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #4824785

Oh I did love it, course I have gotten the itch since I have bought this house. I have converted a few to think about taking Ag Classes in HS. It was a wonderful discussion about the types of plants and how landscaping adding value to property. I should have planned better and had them bring in seeds of their own. Course with only 6 weeks left of school I doubt any of them flower. But I live close so I will stop by in the summer and take pictures.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #4824966

If you plant sunflowers, they will probably wait to bloom until closer to school starting again, I've never met a child who didn't love them.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #4825322

Way to go, Allen. It did those children good to learn a bit about where food comes from and how hard weeds can be to get rid of. K.C.(?) had a large hollow tree fall over today exposing a huge colony of bees which were none to happy about the event. Channel 4 on TV showed beekeepers out there smoking them and collecting them. I suppose they were put into hives somewhere. The children were given lessons on the importance of bees in the food chain.

I spend some of the day clearing a few raised beds of tons of weeds and grasses. The job needs to be finished next week when I have more energy. It is a big heavy job. The soil is so wet and heavy and stuck to the roots badly leaving large holes in her beds. I told her she needs professional potting type soil to mix in and fill in the holes and low areas. I have been doing that a lot here at home. I also told her about coffee grounds and corn meal to feed the worm who will areate the soil for her. She has a lot of nice worms. Both red wigglers and night crawlers.

O meed tp get to bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #4852527

Well I ordered a couple of roses from Antique Rose Emporium, I decided on Marie Pavie
and The Fairy. I am planning using them to sort of frame up my perinnial bed. Are there any plants that I need to be aware of that won't "play nice" with them? I have been getting geared up and harding off some of my starters. I love this weather.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2008
11:26 AM

Post #4856123

I wasn't on here at all last night. We were in the path of the storm and there was too much lightning going on. Heavy rains and lightning. Rusty also had some bad storms her way.
dave719
Humansville, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #4857088

We shut down but only had a couple rounds of thunder and lighting but it rained all night gauge says two inches it quit about 7:30 this morning

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #4858050

I just trying get thru the Internet was down and sure there's alot of t-storm and raining then flooding...

I just let Pepper23 that happen here last night...

So, Rusty enjoy to see the rain pour so fast (he was away from the rain drop under the roof) and he got a little bit wet on his fur...

As yesterday, I went to Lowe's and saw Organic Choice Compost Bin for $10.00 clearance it has 3 boxes left so I took one and I just put up for save...

As last April 21, I was up in North Mo and see my old house which still stand and I would not live there that it too many dogs! (There is 4 or 5 rotts and alot of small dogs for breeding) So, I just forget it and leave town...

I just pass Powell Garden at 2:00pm and get home before the storm hit...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #4858091

Rusty~glad you made it home safely. I'm glad Spring is really here and not a tease!! ;0)

This message was edited Apr 24, 2008 1:06 PM

Thumbnail by garden6

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2008
7:29 PM

Post #4858503

Rusty, I'm glad you got home safely.

Pepper, I saw on channel 5 before I left for church that you were getting hit hard by that storm. It rained lightly here about that time but hit us hard later. Did the gardens get damaged by the winds and hard rains? How about your lovely beds?

G6, lovely picture. Thank you for sharing it with us.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #4859819

Just a few more limbs in the yard is the only damage. Our yard is covered in them. Flowers still look fine.

We are supposed to get hit again before dawn. Flooding almost garuanteed.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4859962

I saw that on the channel 5 at 6. My area is under flood watch due to the rains last night. I think we are suppose to get more tonight too. I need to turn on the TV.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #4859985

More tonight right around dawn.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #4860167

I get more again tomorrow! Aaaahhhh make them stop! lol...

I has to plant some bulbs from RU... And some ornament peppers to be plant sooner...

I did brough some nice plants from North Mo... It was 2 tomatoes (single pot) and 6-pk tomatoes some other plants...

My pelvis and tailbone start to get hurt sooner as the weather is coming... I feel hurt pretty bad to walk... Just happen that way goes... I have one more week from now to CRIARU...I better get busy for next trip again...

Here Rusty was resting...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #4860248

I am hoping to still go there too. Gonna try to make plans this weekend and see if I make it.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #4860456

Rusty is such a beautiful dog, I love when you include pictures. C
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 25, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #4864163

my little dog need home but i can not find one here
the one that eating

Thumbnail by ellesgh

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #4864185

Oh it so cute!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

April 25, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4864249

thank-you i trying hard to find her a good home
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4865429

What kind of dog is she? Spayed? Age? Any other information might help.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #4879907

It's been so very quietly in here!

Well, I has been not feel well that something bugging me and feel my stomach bad for 2 days and got infection again! So, as today, I did mow taller grass in back yard and front not bad easy push but back yard is giving me hard time to push it sheesh! So, I got all done then I have to do tomorrow for my test earth box and get mixed up the 2 bags each humus and potting soil...Plant some what I got from RU last April 19...

Wonder how Leaflady doing and not heard from yet..

I got this nice plant last time I was up North...

Fuchsia

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #4879941

Neat plant!! Busy here. Been doing what little planting that I can. Put some marigolds in the ground Saturday and today. Still have a bunch more to put in.

Am also getting ready for the IA RU. It appears that I am gonna be able to stay with family up there so I am really happy now. :~)

I used up the last of the rabbit compost that I got from Dave at the fall RU on Sat by putting them around some daylilies and peonies. Had to pull the chickweed out away from them first but I mounded the stuff really good so hopefully it will control the chickweed til I get mulch.

Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4879975

Hi all , Hope you get to feeling better Rusty56, getting outside helps : )

That grass gets hard to mow when tall and wet , pretty plants

Amanda , sure glad you got some friends to stay with

Are any of you covering up things tonight b/c of the frost tonight ? : (
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #4880013

I just covered up a pot that I planted today and that's it. I should have covered my callas but forgot about them til just now. lol. They are in the ground at the base of a tree so I think they will be ok. I hope anyways.

I remember a few years ago I was mowing my grandma's and a neighbor's place and we had to wait 3 weeks before mowing. Grass was too wet. Finally it was over 2ft tall working to 3ft when we finally realized wet or not it can't get much higher since our mower can't handle much higher or thicker grass. I was stopping after every lap to clean out the deck for several more weeks. I was mowing over clippings before I could ever get to the grass. It was crazy during that time.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4880045

I think it is okay for plants last frost day at 12 am to Tuesday 9 am..

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2008
1:07 PM

Post #4881276

We got hit with a hard frost last night. I had been at the food bank all day and went straight to work. Got home about 9:30. I listened to the 10 p.m. news so I knew the frost was going. But I forgot that all my house plants are outside. No blanket over them or anything. Geesh. I have no idea what has been killed.

I am so irratated with Gurneys. I ordered blackberry vines and a magnolig tree from them but said to NOT mail them until after May 15th. I got them the first week of April. Now they have been thru 3 or more frosts & don't look very healthy. Then I find out they didn't charge it to my credit card like I said to. I'm going to call them today and tell them I owe them nothing for a bunch of dead plants that they sent too early. I doubt I'll order from them again. I hate it when companies pay no attention to my instructions.

Holly mowed the lawn yesterday. I could tell when I drove in last night she had done it. It looks nice. Lots of clippings here too. I need to rake them up and add them to the compost pile.

I'm home(?)all day today. The van is in serious need of maintenance work tho so I need to make an appointment for that. And get spark plugs. Kyle can put in the front ones but I need the dealer to do the back ones while it is up on the rack. I need to take some things to the cafe' too. I'm customizing my job. lol. I made a list last night. And I really NEED to spend some time at home cleaning, etc. It seems this has been a busy week and isn't over yet. PG tomorrow & the PG plant sale on Sat. I was going to stay at PG all day Sat. but have been scheduled to work 3 - 9. I'll have to have Pepper get extra plants for me if there are any I want. I'm prepared to buy some that I want if they have them. I haven't looked up the list on the website yet. My want list is really short this year.

Must take my meds and get moving. GOD bless and keep each of you.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #4884211

I just make some humus & potting soil mixed up good and put 4 earth box...

Back row on left is ornament peppers and right is 2 tomatoes...
Front row on left is purple kales and right is 6 tomatoes..

Here's pic:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #4884270

EvaMae, have fun at the Plant Sale. If things go my way I will be in Cedar Rapids this weekend. Still waiting on ok to bunk with family up there. If not able to go then I will go blow some money at the sale while Jay (head gardener of perennial garden at PG) sits there and laughs at me and calls me crazy. LOL. I need to park my cart behind his garden truck again and tell him the cart broke and so did my legs so I couldn't move it. hehehehe. I love picking on him. He's an easy target. lol

Rusty, plants look great!!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #4885306

I'm tired. I got the van maintenance done about 2 this afternoon. I had them put in the 3 back plugs. Kyle will do the front ones. $40 labor. I had supplied the new plugs. Then I got fuel and stopped at the cafe' with some more things to make the dishwasher job more efficient, etc. Gues what? The evening dish washer had called in sick. He no longer has a job. So I volunteered to come home and get my work clothes and be right back. Clocked in about 4 or so and just got home a bit ago. Too late to watch 10 p.m. news. I need to go to bed. I'm going to start carrying a set of work clothes and shoes with me. They have my cell # if they need me. Wonderful Christian people to work for.

I dropped something this evening and grabbed for it with my sore left arm. Man that hurt. Still does. If it isn't better I won't go to PG tomorrow. But some meds and the heat pad all night may make it ok again. Or at least as ok as it had been. As long as I don't move it there is little if any discomfort. As long as I have it in the correct position.

Must go and get some zzzs. GOD bless and keep each of you.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #4888545

I was see Pepper23 at PG today and trying to find the house or land around here and no lucky yet! lol...

So, I keep looking for...

Rusty been chew on his new toy dog that it has green hair so he chewing off the toy dog's left ear (top of the ear!)

Here's pic:'

Thumbnail by JuJu55

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #4889359

I'm so glad that Rusty is enjoying his new toy. : )
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #4889705

Well, not gonna make Iowa RU. My parents really didn't want me going so I am staying home. But the good part about that is I can buy more plants at out PG Plant sale on Friday. LOL. I already got one plant today for a really, really good price and it is a boat lily. Has purple, pink and yellow striped leaves. Really gorgeous!!

Saw Rusty today but no places to look at. One was under contract and the broker for the other one didn't answer phone so we didn't have directions to it. Eventually she will find the right place. :~)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #4891122

I made new forum for May..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/841865/
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #4891346

Best wishes in finding just the right place for you and your doggie, Rusty. I'm sure you have things in mind that you have to have to want a place.

Pepper, I'm glad I'll get to see you on Sat. I looked at the list and found the tomatoes and eggplants I want. Maybe some coleus and a few other things.

Much to get done today. I want to get the woodchips so the neighbor boy can clean the bird house.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America