April 2008 FORUM

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, Today is April's Fool Day!

I just don't want heard any of April's Fool Day... lol...

Have a good day!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hey thanks Rusty, some of us were still in March. Make sure you read the article today about the rare plants, it is really interesting! http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/695/

Humansville, MO

the only april fool here is the weather
elle

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I hate that too, Rusty. They are usually so dumb. But Jack always did complain that I have little sense of humor. So much of what the world sees as funny is someone else's misfortune or injuries & I just can't take pleasure in that. Practical jokes don't set well with me either.

Crisp here today. The weather man said there would be a 40* drop in temps over night but I think he missed it a bit. We have had a 20* drop but I think that about it. I won't be weeding until it warms up a bit. This moist cool weather and my body don't get along well. I don't know how some people my age do as much as they do and I am so happy for them that they can, but my body just won't. And pushing it beyond what it wants to do is disasterous as my family, close friends and I, my doctor and the local hospital well know.

Pain meds are starting to work so I will start cleaning drawer fronts and putting the drawers back in. I'm tired of having to look for items I need/want to cook with. Sorting thru the recipe drawer will be a very long job. So much to decide to keep or pitch. I love to cook, but with Jack not here to try new things out on it does seem silly to keep all those wonderful recipes I keep finding. I have had some for years and never have made them for one reason or another. Mostly because they are in the bottom of the drawer and I forgot about them. I am trying one new one today that I found. A zucchini dish with onions, lots of cheeses and cream which will be switched to low fat milk.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Don't pitch the recipe cards, save them and pass them to a new bride/groom. A woman I worked with did this for me and I still use many of them.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oz, I could certainly enjoy a nice big boneless fish fillet. I will even cook it myself.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I talked to my sister this a.m. and she was dreading April Fools Day. She teaches 2nd Grade. Said she'd be told multiple times today that there was a spider in her hair. LOL!

Now you have to love 2nd graders, they are adorable!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Cathy, they aren't cards. They are out of or maybe even still in magazines, newspapers, etc. But I'll gladly bring them to the RU and let others go thru and take what they want.

I am certainly enjoying the magazines Rusty brought to the last RU. I need to copy what I want out of them and pass them on at the next one. I hope you bring more, Rusty. They are a gold mine for me. I have learned a lot from them.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I teach sixth graders and I have give them all a "pop" quiz. LOL after a few questions about some subject I then ask them what the date is. It really gets them riled up. ha ha.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I will bring more magazines for RU and another RU too!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Today was a little crazy for me. I had meant to play some jokes (just funny ones) but forgot it was April Fool's Day. Then I was told we had 3 people staying in Daycare instead of 2 like we were told. Even Admin didn't know about that one.

Then I managed to smack my head on a ladder above me and now I have a black eye and a lump on my head. That made me a bit cranky. lol.

And finally I get told we have a seminar after our staff meeting tomorrow so no work will get done in the afternoon. I would much rather work than sit there all afternoon. *sigh* I just can't win today. :~)

I love little kids on April's Fool's. They can get you good! LOL

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh, pepper, that's too bad about the black eye! I pulled a phone book off the shelf today and smacked myself between the eyes with it. I have a little cut, but no bruises. Rang my bell pretty good. I feel bad for you sitting in a seminar. I agree -- that's gotta be the worst and rather be working.

That's something that I would do!! LOL.

Yeah, if I work then I can work off all the food I will eat. But by making us sit there they are torturing us. LOL. It's a seminar on lifting properly. Somewhat needed but not really wanted when the weather is nice and there is work to be done to prepare for the crowds next month.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm so sorry you have hurt yourself, Pepper. Ladders can really get you. So can books on shelves. Sorry to hear about that one McGlory. I don't mind seminars if they are on something I don't already know and am interested in hearing. Proper lifting may need to be retold & reinforced information & practice but it isn't very interesting.

I have the drawers back in and some of them sorted thru and relined. Others will have to wait for that. I had a lot of junk to throw out. Lots of electric cords with only one end or no ends at all filling up a drawer. They are now just in a plastic sack and will go into the garage or hang on a hook in the attic stairwell. We store a lot of things there. There is a pretty good size area at the base and the steps are wide and deep so part way up I have hooks for stuff too.

I'm getting sleepy already so I need to start winding down for the evening, be sure to catch the 9 o'clock news and go to bed. It is already dark outside.

The birds are going thru way too many of those black oily sunflower seeds. It is breaking my budget. Do any of the rest of you use them? My one squirrel(that I see anyway) likes them too. I have seen the chickens over there cleaning up a few times but there are a lot lying on the ground and quite a few sprouting. I think tomorrow I'll take a whisk broom and dust pan out there and clean up those on the ground. I can feed them to the baby chicks or degus.

Pepper, thanks for the notice of the meeting. I talked to Ann and won't be coming up. Fuel is too expensive for just a couple hours of volunteer work. Plenty to do here to do around here.

Bless and keep each of you.

We feed our birds sunflower seeds also and we have to refill all of our feeders at least once a week.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

OK I have a question and I am sure it will seem simple to most but I still have to ask it. On the seed packet it has plant spacing recommendations. Are they talking about each seedling or do some seedlings need to grouped for this recommended spacing?

Also here is a pict of my latest project. My roomate was able to borrow a sod cutter and for some reason I decided to transplant my rose of sharon to the corner of the yard and make a planting bed. I have some Fountain Buddleia bushes coming and I thought of a Forsythia mixed in there also. I have some native St. Johns Wart I thought would look nice too. What are some of you guys thoughts? The rain ruined my spring break. I was hoping to have moved all the sod to bare spots in the yard.

Thumbnail by allanme79

As soon as you can, get some newspaper and mulch the area. It will help and you can plant right through it.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Allenme, yes, newpapers. And some cardboards. Feed sacks with plastic lining removed it they have it. I say some cardboads because not all cardboard is alike. I have some that deteriorated in less than a month to just mush. Other sheets have been there for 2 years and still in good condition. I never know when I put it down which is which. Most farm feed sacks will last quite a long time. If you really want weed kill and have most of the season in which to do it, black plastic works well. Water the soil well & then lay the plastic. The sun shining on the b.p. heats up the soil underneath and the moisture almost turns to steam which is very hard on seeds and weed roots. Kills most of them. Some people remove the plastic periodically and disturb the soil somewhat to bring a new crop of seeds to the top, rewater, then replace the plastic. This is a common way of 'sterilizing' the soil for future use.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

What about that black fabric stuff? Is it any count?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Allen, I first saw it at Powell Gardens several years ago when it kind became popular. They had it under an outside bench of plants. The weeds either managed to get thru the tiny micropores or wose yet sprouted on top of it and sent the roots thru the holes. To pull out the weeds you had to remove that section of plastic material. You could cut the roots off on top of the fabric but that wasn't enough to kill many of the grasses and weeds. Total waste of money. I think they removed it that fall. I had gotten some because I thought that if they thought it was a good product I would like it to. WRONG! It was an experiment that didn't work for either of us. I have used old jute backed carpet with about the same results. You can use a herbicide on the plants that spout on or under them tho. It did seem to do some good but certainly not as good as solid heavy weight black plastic. Clear or white plastic yielded only lots of somewhat chlorotic weeds. No reduction in weed population at all that I could tell. I hope this helps you.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am hoping once I get the shrubs in and after a few years they will take care of the undergrowth. I am just wanting to screen off my house from the public road. I am thinking of lining the edges with hostas not sure though. I may be better off with daylilies. I need to watch how the sun affects that area as the summer goes.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
"I talked to my sister this a.m. and she was dreading April Fools Day. She teaches 2nd Grade. Said she'd be told multiple times today that there was a spider in her hair. LOL!

This really made me laugh because it's what I told my 3 yr old gr-d to say to her mom, but she forgot.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We are suppose to get some temps in the '70s next week. I've asked Holly and Kyle to help me put in posts and attach fencing so I can actually have potatoes that only get planted once, swiss chard & spinach that I will be able to harvest, etc. If I don't do a good job of fencing the poultry will destroy everything before it gets a good start. Once the plants are going pretty well the birds don't do as much damage to most of them.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

If you are coming to the RU, please go to the threads for food, etc. and help us keep up to date on the who is coming, what food(s)you are bringing, what plants you have for trade and want from others. It is less than 2 weeks away so we need be getting fine tune organized.

I need to start digging plants for those who want starts. If you want something from me that I have mentioned haveing extras of please let me know by this weekend. I only have today, Thursday, Sat. next Mon., Tues, and Wed. to have myself totally ready.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Just checking in here to see whats happening. Want more time outside to work in the yard and garden but it needs to warm up again like this past weekend. 70 degree weather would sure be nice and it can just stay that way. Cleaned branches up from the Dec. ice storm and will do that a little at a time. Some will need a chainsaw near the edge of the timber. Filled my gas cans and bought a little diesel for the small tractor. Wow is that getting to be expensive. I heard name brand cereals are really going to shoot up in price. We don't buy to much name brand anyway. What you say about this??

Cuckoo

we switched to oats, less boxed cereal. I make muffins with bananas, too, for breakfast.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oatmeal at my house too. Cheerios when the great niece comes to visit. :-) Why are they supposed to shoot up in price anyway?

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

cathy 4.......... Love that kind of food anyway. Most food, gas, etc. is going up and up. We are milk drinkers and that has continued to shoot up.
Cuckoo

It is killing my daughter & the grands, you can't cut back on milk for the kids. The price of cereal is going up for several reasons, the cost of fuel for machines/trucks, etc. and making corn into fuel instead of food. This means the meat producers have to pay more for animal food, too. It just spreads up the food ladder.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Yep.......... and were caught in the middle too. No escape from eating and buying gas and petroleum products.
Cuckoo

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

YEP is right, the pumpkins used to be able to select a favorite cereal when we grocery shopped, Post's Banana Crunch, but the price went from $3.29 to $5.99! At that price , maybe we'll dip a banana in some corn flakes and sprinkle some choppped walnuts over it! Don't know if the pumpkins will like it...oh well... it's going to be more of cream of wheat and bagels with cream cheese at our house.

put a small scoop of ice cream in the bowl like grandma did for my kids, they ate any cereal she had that way.

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

Cathy~ Thanks.....that's a great idea..even for snacks!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey guys I have been thinking of some flowing yuccas for a part of my flower bed. They just seem like something that would be easy care and look good in the winter. I don't know anything about them other than I see them in a lot of different places. What do you guys think?

I personally think yuccas are the ugliest plant alive if they aren't cut back regularly. Just my 2 cents. If you like the look, get some.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Well I am being indecisive on what to plant in my flower bed for anchor plants. I know with my limited gardening experience I need hardy plants. I would prefer something that will grow less than 5 tall and look fair in the winter for a corner section of my house. There was a Rose of Sharon and looked great but it covered the kitchen window.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I haven't grown yuccas yet, but plan to add some soon. I like them!

Just a warning on yuccas. If you plant them, plant them where you will never dig them up. They can get invasive in some yards and are a pain to dig up. But other than that there's no major problems. lol

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

For something to look green during our winters yucca and Arum Italicum are about it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.