Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

High Yield Gardening: Square Foot Gardening...Planting without Dirt?

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tlgrace
Newville, PA

April 1, 2008
5:16 PM

Post #4741058

Has anyone ever tried square foot gardening? I am going to give this method a try because the soil in my area of South Central Pennsylvania is horrible. It is hard, rocky, and almost impossible to dig so I thought maybe this method would work much, much better for me. I have read that you should use a dirtless mixture of equal parts of sphagnum peat moss, vermiculite, and compost. Does this type of "soil" work well for vegetable gardening and can I use it to plant berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)? Also, is it better to use the vermiculite of perlite...or a combination of both? I have not had much success with gardening in the past so I am hopeful that this method will allow me freedom to grow bigger and healthier crops. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #4752915

I live in SC. I use peat moss and compost for every thing I plant. You can't go wrong with those. I am not sure about the perl or the vermi.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

April 4, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #4753367

It REALLY WORKS! Do it. Seriously. You can start with just good potting soil. You will LOVE IT.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America