Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Fruits: Sunquat

Communities > Forums > Tropical Fruits
bookmark
Forum: Tropical FruitsReplies: 7, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dybbuk

dybbuk
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #4741689

Hi,

I have a new sunquat which I'm growing indoors that is now about 2 feet tall. Just one stem. It is COVERED with pending blossoms (about 40) and I am wondering if I should let them remain or clip them? I'm not savvy with citrus but thought I'd give one a try. Any ideas??

Thanks...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #4741698

I'll start by saying that I've never grown (nor heard of!) a sunquat. But that being said, I'd leave the blossoms alone...once they turn into fruit then if you have too many you can think about thinning, but more blooms maximizes your chance of getting a decent number of fruit, so I'd leave them alone.

dybbuk

dybbuk
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #4741710

Thanks,

It's a cross between a kumquat and orange.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #4741713

Interesting...have you tasted them? It sounds yummy!

You may want to try hand pollinating your flowers too--I just noticed that you're growing it indoors so you won't have the bees, etc to help you out.

dybbuk

dybbuk
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #4741724

Oops. I lied. It's a cross between kumquat and lemon. No I haven't tasted one yet...

dybbuk

dybbuk
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #4741736

Here's a description of it from Logee's, where I purchased it:

Citrus 'Sunquat'
Mix the sweet taste of a Meiwa kumquat with a little bit of sour from a lemon and you get our newest fruiting variety called 'Sunquat'. This citrus is one of the most prolific and free-fruiting citruses we’ve grown. It blooms year-round with highly fragrant flowers much like a kumquat. Unlike other citruses there is no uniformity to the size of the fruit which is determined more by the size of the plant and the amount of fruit on the tree. This fruit is intended to be eaten like a giant kumquat: the whole thing rind and all. Grow in full sun and to keep the root system healthy grow in a clay pot.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #4743967

Still sounds interesting...but I have to say I was more interested in tasting one when you said it was a cross between kumquat and orange! I prefer my citrus on the sweeter side and the lemon might make it too sour for me. Still would be fun to try, I'll have to keep my eye out and see if they sell those here. Can't buy it from Logees unfortunatey, California won't allow any out of state citrus across the border.
dwallace59
Bradenton, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #4935608

I have a 5 foot one in a 75 gallon pot. They have the taste of a mild lemon but the thin skin of a kumquat. They produce a lot of fruit several times a year and are very juicy. We use it like a lemon.

I also have a limequat which I like very much. It also produces a lot of fruit several times a year. They both grow very well in pots and can be keep to a reasonable size.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America