Photo by Melody

Perennials: Is it too late (warm) to sow outside?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 2, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #4741941

I bought several different poppy varieties, most are the "opium" (can't remember the scientific name right now) type. The daytime temps are around mid 50's to mid 60's with nights high 30's to mid 40's. I normally just scatter my Lauren's Grape in the fall, when they make seed, and only have sporadic germination and wanted to try these new ones, then forgot I had them :-(
Chimacum, WA

April 3, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #4748334

You could plant the poppy seeds for several months yet. Just make sure you water them - keep them damp to ensure they will come up. I have had some poppies come up in June!
I would plant them at my place after the last frost. (Have frost into April)
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4748531

Thanks for the info, if I don't see anything coming up in the next month, I'll sow some more. I went ahead and surface sowed a few yesterday evening but have plenty left in case they don't come up. I've never grown any except for Lauren's Grape and I'm really excited and impatient to see some new ones bloom :-) Our ground is saturated with more rain falling every week, I just hope they don't wash away!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Mum's the Word... SILLYLILY 18 Nov 23, 2009 6:47 PM
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America