Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poppies: Is it too late (warm) to sow outside?

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 2, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #4741941

I bought several different poppy varieties, most are the "opium" (can't remember the scientific name right now) type. The daytime temps are around mid 50's to mid 60's with nights high 30's to mid 40's. I normally just scatter my Lauren's Grape in the fall, when they make seed, and only have sporadic germination and wanted to try these new ones, then forgot I had them :-(
Thanks!
WILLIEB
Chimacum, WA

April 3, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #4748334

You could plant the poppy seeds for several months yet. Just make sure you water them - keep them damp to ensure they will come up. I have had some poppies come up in June!
I would plant them at my place after the last frost. (Have frost into April)
sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4748531

Thanks for the info, if I don't see anything coming up in the next month, I'll sow some more. I went ahead and surface sowed a few yesterday evening but have plenty left in case they don't come up. I've never grown any except for Lauren's Grape and I'm really excited and impatient to see some new ones bloom :-) Our ground is saturated with more rain falling every week, I just hope they don't wash away!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America