Best breed of hog for meat ?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

We've raised 2 pigs when our son was in school. He showed both of them One was a Duroc (sp ?)
and the other was a Hampshire.

We didn't eat either one, as they were both sold at an Ag auction at the school.

Now we are thinking about raising one for butchering for us.

Anyone know the best breed for meat.......... and easy temperment, since DS is grown up and not here to take care of it... ?

Also, where are reputable breeders in or near our area ?

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

Peggy, Both breeds you mentioned are good as well as the Yorkshire and what we call here in Texas Blue Buts (Yorkshire & Hampshire) cross. Then you have those that wouldn't raise anything but a Heritage breed. As for finding a breeder, contact your County Extension Agent. He's in the Phone Book or your local High School Ag Teacher. If they can't give you an answer call the State Extension Service. You should be able to find it on OSU's site.

Kim

londonderry, Australia

ive heard that a hampshire is good

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I didn't even think to contact the Ag dept at the school here.

We have since moved away from the little town where our son went to school.

(Guess I must have thought that was the only school that had students
that raised pigs............. Duh ! )

Surely the Ag teacher here at Claremore has students that show pigs too.

Thanks again !

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

We are hoping to get a couple of black and white belted piglets-my DH called a fellow that we have bought from before and he has a litter that was born 2 weeks ago. If the weather perks up a bit today we are going to take a drive over. We missed out on buying 3 piglets from last years sow-this gentleman lives on a road that my DH takes to go to work. He told me he saw three little piglets running about with mama so I asked him to stop in and inquire about them. Well, 4 weeks passed before he did-they were sold that morning! I'm a bit disappointed as they are so friendly-people stop all the time to take pics and give out snacks to their pigs so they just love people from the get-go! Plus they were very tasty! Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be!

Good luck on finding your little piggies!
Here's a pic from last years.

Thumbnail by saanansandy
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We have raised many piglets. We like to butcher them before they get to 100#. The meat is so sweet and tender then. We didn't know back then that you don't have to do the scraping, scalding, etc. with pigs. A neighbor gave us one a few years ago and told us we could skin it out like a deer. I'll not likely pay to have a pig butchered again.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

We've been thinking about doing our own butchering too. Do you have a bandsaw for cutting them up?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

No, just a good hand operated bone saw, an electric circular saw, and some good heavy duty butchering knives that we keep sharp. When there were men around here to help they sharpened the knives on the electric grinding wheel.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

We always get at least two for butchering so maybe we'll try one and see how it goes! I like the idea of just skinning them. My fil used to do his own(40 years ago!) and he said scraping was a royal pain.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

How will you feed your pigs Peggy are you going to pasture them or grain feed ? that also makes a differnece in meat quality and flavor
I can't wait for raising our own food.
Hope it all goes well with you.
Let us know if you got yoru piggies yet
i would love to know what you decided :)
sue

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I would suggest a crossbred.............a 3 way is usually good, get those nice long, lean meaty hogs. Besides, gives them that "hybred vigor".............LOL

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Greenhorn here with a hog-raising 101 question....

At what age and/or weight is a hog ready to be butchered??

~~ Glenda

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Optimum weight is around 250 or so. Figure 6 months from birth to butchering, tho really lean, fast growing meaty hogs have been known to make market in 4 1/2 months.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images