Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Bee balm (Monarda): Now I've got to grow some Monarda!

Communities > Forums > Article: Bee balm (Monarda)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bee balm (Monarda)Replies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Fleurs
Columbia, SC

April 2, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #4746416

What about its potential for invasiveness, especially here in the Southeast?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #4747315

One of my favorites! Thank you.
kmm44
Dayton, OH

April 9, 2008
3:32 AM

Post #4779537

Keep in mind that monarda is a mint, so it will spread readily. If I have too much, I just pull it out. Sometimes I have takers and sometimes not. I don't know if it matters where you live. I am on the border between zones 6a and 5b here and in 5b at the lake.
I have Marshall's Delight (pink) and a lavender variety, but my absolute favorite is Gardenview Scarlet. It looks like the red ones in the picture with the article. I have a "thing" for red flowers and am always looking for more.
It is a hybrid that is mildew resistant. I had a large patch at one time and gave some to a friend. Then we had a really dry summer and the patch became a lot smaller. I did bring some up to our weekend home at the lake, an hour N. of Dayton. It's spreading slowly and I wouldn't mind if it invaded a bit. My son had some dark purple at his old house and I'm kicking myself for not taking some of it before he moved.
Monarda looks good with almost any color combination, but I do have one patch of the pink ones planted with echinacea and tall phlox. The red ones at the lake are in a large perennial bed with, shasta daisies, echinacea, russian sage, May Night salvia, gooseneck loostrife, coreopsis Early Sunrise, agastache blue (annis hyssop), Joe Pye Weed, swamp milkweed, among others. They each have their own space (not crowded together) and the colors are spectacular together.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bee balm (Monarda) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article debi_k 4 Apr 2, 2008 11:29 PM
Great article doccat5 1 Apr 3, 2008 3:29 AM
Any tips on germination? tucsonjill 2 Apr 2, 2008 5:32 PM
yellow bee balm NDFarmgirl 1 Aug 7, 2008 10:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America