Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Zone Gardening: wild pig repellant?????

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 84, Views: 482
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 3, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #4748362

I brought in several 30 yard truck loads of mulch that I discovered too late had macadamia nuts in it, and now that it is spread I am being invaded by every wild pig in the forest. I have killed a few, but they just keep coming. Every morning reveals more pig destruction. They have destroyed hundreds of dollars of plants and trees. They are not afraid of my large dogs or motion detector outdoor lights. They tear down and trample my scarecrows. I ordered some very expensive mountain lion urine from the US continent, advertised as a guaranteed pig repellant, but Hawai'i pigs aren't fazed by the stuff. Does anyone know of a repellant, or any way to keep them away without having to kill all of them?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #4748376

Red pepper? Cayenne powder? Those usually will keep any critter away but I don't know for sure about wild pigs.
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 3, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #4748541

Pepper 23, I spread 10# of Korean red pepper flakes around some plants but did not bother the pigs.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 3, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4748630

Can you advertise (or ask around) for someone who likes to hunt them? I don't know what your regulations are but you might find someone who's happy to knock them off for you.

Good luck. They can be horrible.

katiebear
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #4749325

Oh, I feel so very sorry for you, those pigs are extremely destructive and cause some of our pools and rivers to be dangerous to swim in because of the bacterial they leave in the water. They are responsible for destroying a good deal of the forest in Hana way so I can imagine the devastation to your garden. It's open season here on hunting them here on Maui, our attitude is the only good wild pig is a dead wild pig.

I don't know if you have looked into electric fencing? 'Bout the only thing I think will work other than mass slaughter and an enormous luau..

Be careful, I have heard that they can be very dangerous if confronted, especially if they have piglets.

Perhaps Carol will have some ideas, she lives in your area.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #4750324

Pepper sent me your link because I have problems with several a couple types of animals. Here in missouri it is Deer, Squirrels and Armadillos. The Armadillo problem( 1st time in history they have gotten a range this large) has just emerged over the past few years since our winters have become less severe and they can survive them. I would think you locale govermant conservation organization should have some realization of the problem and be taking steps to control them.

Let me say right now I would not qualify for memebership in petta. I believe in elimination of over populations of problem causing animals. The deer herd in missouri has grown so large that there is a expanded and more liberal hunting season. Last year in one short season there were over 100,000 deer taken in the state by hunters and it has not made a dent in the population. This over population has resulted in cougar and black bear showing up in odd places all over the state. Squirrels are something else that will overpopulate in short order. One pair of squirrels can result in 50 squirrels in about a year. since the young of a couple breedings will be breeding themselves in the next cycle following there birth. Over population will result in weakened conditions and this intern can bring about disease that can effect humans as well. While i will shoot squirrels and armadillos outright I do not shoot deer to kill I am able to hold them at bay with a 410 shotgun loaded with target load number 9 shot. I shoot them in the rump and it will not penatreate the thick hide in that area but it will leave a leave a sting and a hurt for several weeks and they never forget it. As a matter of fact I think they go up in the woods and talk about it in deer atlk because all you have to do is one behind and they all stay away. I do not know if that would work on wild pigs. If it won't ,and they are doing the damage it seems from these post that they are, I would just start shooting them to eliminate them.
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 3, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #4752608

Thanks for the suggestions. I shot two myself, but they were so big two of us couldn't lift them into the truck, so I borrowed a backhoe and buried them. I hired a professional pig hunter recommended by Mauna Loa Macadamia plantation, but he charges $100 to kill and remove a pig. He killed six, and that hasn't even dented the population. I have 12 acres on the edge of the Puna forest reserve, so the pig supply seems to be endless. Braveheartsmom suggestion of mass slaughter and a big luau sounds great to me, but I don't think I can pull it off. If anyone hears of any more ideas, please let me know. These pigs are miniature bulldozers.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4753810

Sounds like we are neighbors!!!! We haven't had problems with pigs although we know they are around...the dogs kill one every once in a while. I have heard that if you kill one...drag it around the property leaving the smell around and that will deter other pigs. Don't know for sure. Have you called Ag? Sometimes they will come with traps...or someone will. A fried of mine in Fern Forest sets out snares and gets them... The PigHunters Club are supposed to be delighted to come out and kill them for you for free...train their kids (hahaha). Hey...give me a call...I am in the book under Carol Noel -

I feel for you!!!
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #4753850

Please do be careful. The javelinas in Arizona chased me while I was pushing my baby in a stroller. They are very dangerous when they have babies around. I would hope the mulch company would be reminbursing you for the mulch at least.
SolarBear
Maple Ridge, BC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #4757238

What breed of dogs do you have ? Perhaps you have a breed that has a herding temperment and not a sporting/guarding temperment ? If so perhaps need to get a dog from a breed inclined to at least chase off, if not kill , the invaders.
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 4, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #4757383

Alohahoya, I see the stickers for Big Island Pig Hunters on trucks all the time. They are not in the phone book, and didn't find them through Google. If you hear of any way to contact the Pig Hunters Club, PLEASE let me know. I will try your suggestion of dragging a carcass around this weekend. Terichris, I won't mess with a mama pig with babies. The mulch is free from the county. They grind up all the green waste at the dump, and will load any size truck for free. Unfortunately, the macadamia nut market tanked, and the plantations are dumping the lower grade nuts. They don't want them around because they are a magnet for pigs.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #4757437

Note of caution: That macnut mulch also attracts a tiny little boring (yes, that too) flying beetle...in the summer they fly around the lights, they are so small they come thru the screen and are specific to macnuts. We spread macnut mulch down 7 years ago...and which it is wonderful...the beetles drive us NUTS! Still do!!!

I will see what i can find out. There IS an assn. - you might try calling Hawaiian Ag 974-4114 or the Master Gardeners on Tues. and friday mornings at 981 5199. They might know where you could find the number.

At the Makuu Market, every Sunday there is a fellow, Marvin, who sells lots of different bananas and heliconias. He is on the Hilo end of the market. He has been having lots of problems with pigs digging up his bananas/garden and has talked to some hunters. He might be a source too...He is particular about who he lets on his property...no drinkers...so I bet he has lots of hunters he won't use! LOL

I know it is a problem...we keep thinking it is our dogs and the fact that we walk and run them around the property a couple of times a day and that keeps them away. We had one walk down our driveway once...he is now in Pig Heaven. We never see any damage from them altho, according to the dogs, we know they are out there in the bush.
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 4, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #4757559

Solarbear, you bring up a very good point that never occurred to me. I have Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dogs. The ranches on the island work them to find and gather range cattle. They are popular with pig and goat hunters, but they hunt by herding the prey to the hunter. They are very aggressive if anyone comes close to the house, but they pretty much ignore the rest of the property. Can you suggest a large dog that would be inclined to drive off or attack pigs? After dark, the pigs are not afraid of my Catahoula's at all.
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 4, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #4757648

Alohahoya, thank you for the phone numbers. I have met Marvin - he lives in farm lots up Kopua road. He also gets lots of mulch from the dump - he must have got the same mac nut batch that I did. Will see if he can give me some pig killer leads. Thanks again.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 4, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #4758142

Keaau - our dogs are Chesapeake Bay Retriever/Labrador mix - Thelma has come home with a tusk mark, about a foot long, that shaved the hair off her side but did not gore her. The two of them are fearless and gentle but really go after the pigs. You might talk to Jenny down at the Humane Society and see if she has any dogs she could recommend...she is very knowledgeable about dogs... We see the pig 'scat' in the orchards but they seem to steer clear of the gardens and the plantings. We, too, are at the edge of a Forest Reserve...with 12 acres...and the pigs could really do a number on us, but they seem to really stay away...and our dogs are in a kennel at night.
lorien4
Camarillo, CA

April 5, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #4758957

Is fencing an option? I know the Nat'l Park Service has found it an effective measure to keep pigs and goats out of parts of Haleakala (and I think Hawai'i Volcanoes Nat'l Park).
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 5, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4758987

lorien...our area is on a very old lava flow...in order to put anything in the ground you have to hammer thru lava...and 12 acres is a lot of fence posts. The trees have very shallow roots but the root ball is 8-10 feet in diameter!!!
SolarBear
Maple Ridge, BC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2008
7:01 AM

Post #4760140

Well, any dog you pick is going to have to be raised with your own dogs from a small pup and you will have to accept it might not be exactly receptive to strange dogs . Dogo Argentino is one, looks like a pitbull but not same breed, its been bred for hunting big game including peccaries ( wild pigs) . http://www.bulldoginformation.com/argentina-dog.html
Bull Terriers of a larger size in general would be good.Rottweilers might work as long as you take into account dark coats and need for shade on hot days .Heres a description of difference between a watch dog and a guard dog http://caninebreeds.bulldoginformation.com/guardian-dogs.html . Basically its the difference between action and reaction. My rottweiler will guard the yard... she doesnt like cats dogs or anything else in her space. If i introduce someone to her and she gets a good sniff and introduction then they are added to her " allowed " list. Like any big dog half the battle is to remember that they are prey driven on instincts and you have to ensure "you are the boss". But i think if you talk to a few breeders locally you will find one that is suited for your climate. Remember large dogs with small muzzles do poorer in hot humid than large dogs with long muzzles.I remember even a good old shepherd cross as a kid on my uncles ranch who was more than happy to chase black bears halfway up the mountain to keep them away. Good luck on the pig invasion.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4761361

Well, I can tell you that although Great Danes were bred to hunt boar, they are nothing but couch potatoes! Christi can confirm that Candy doesn't do pig! How awful about Thelma coming home with a tusk mark Carol, she could so easily have been gored, those pig stand their ground...

Although I feel your pain Keaau, you have brought a very interesting subject to the forum! Do let us know how you get on with Marvin or the Big Island Pig Hunters...

Aloha.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 6, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #4763592

If you play recordings of Hillary campaign speeches, this will at least keep the male chauvinist pigs away.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #4763635

ROTFL!!!!
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #4764333

I think an electric fence would work well for your situation. The plastic posts are only set about 6 inches deep or you can get insulted brackets to attach to trees or shrubs. With pigs you would only need one wire (since they aren't known for jumping) set at snout height. I've used electric fence on cows, horses, sheep and dogs and they all seem to learn pretty quick that they don't want to mess with that wire. If you buy a charger, make sure it's rated for livestock and large enough for the length of fence you need to charge. Since you only have a pig problem at night you could leave it off during the day so you don't shock yourself.

It sounds like somebody needs to start a sausage factory out there! (Or maybe a spam factory since that seemed oddly popular on Oahu)
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 6, 2008
5:06 AM

Post #4764568

Wild Pig is consumed quickly here!!!

Officials are slow to respond to invasive species: a frog came in, the Coqui, which could have been contained easily at first. "Let's see if it becomes a problem", they said...ignoring the history of this beast. Now it is so invasive it cannot be controlled - BUT - "they" controll the methods that are legal or illegal to kill them - regardless of the success. Boggles the mind. The more houses that are built, the more forests are tamed, the more concentrated the pigs become...

We still love it here...ANYway.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2008
11:37 AM

Post #4765067

Hoya that is the case with the in the Ozarks. Just too many people. Officials here are well aware of the problem but they are skiddish about giving advise,but at the same time will turn there heads to some human killing. One of the odd things I have noticed in recent years is a sharp increase increase of deer birthing twins. Makes me wonder if in some way climate change is involved. Would not surprise me. We have Armadillos now for the first time ever and Cougar have returned to Missouri. Thanks to Arkansas's poor wildlife management we also have black bear poping up all over the place. Ark decided about 10 years ago to restock black bear and promote some silly program. They always did have black bear but they had to pushed it. Now there is black bear showing up in St Louis burbs.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 6, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #4766403

Crazy. Perhaps the deer are trying to repopulate so they can kick the humans out. Poor things haven't got a chance!!!!

You know, i think sometimes 'government' makes silly rules so they can employ silly people to try to inforce them!!!!
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 7, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #4772498

Tracked down a Feral Ungulate Control Officer on Oahu this morning. Learned Hawai'i is having a wild pig population explosion, even Honolulu neighborhoods. He said: 1. Poison illegal. 2.Too many for me to kill enough to make a difference. 3. No effective repellant. 4. No effective affordable fence. 5. Large dogs work best, but loose dogs are illegal off your own property unless in designated dog hunting area, and illegal to knowingly let dogs kill pig. 6. The Hawai'i Legislature is discussing the problem (God Help Us). 7. He has no suggestions. But, "some people" suggest that bloody pig gore be dragged around the property being invaded, then placed at the ends of pig trails with some scent of the dogs belonging to the property, ie, kukaeilio. Pigs will assume your dog is a pig killer, and will go someplace else to eat. On the Big Island we are lucky - we can legally shoot pigs. On Oahu, they have to grab them and stab them. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Combined, they are pretty much what the State "expert" suggests. Will let you know how it works.
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #4772539

Grab them and stab them, are they serious?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 8, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #4772796

Gee, Keaau...you have your work cut out for you!!!!

Good luck.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #4773337

I say let the gov officials try to grab and stab. I think they would change that rule real quick.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 8, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #4773426

Pepper...the old way of pig hunting is with dogs and knives! I have seen a group of teenage boys with their dogs and long knives, setting off into the bush! One kid carried a gun just in case there was a 'need'. Guess it is more macho with just a knife... Crazy if you ask me!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #4773439

Sounds crazy to me too!!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 8, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #4773462

Saw a pig killed by a Maori in NZ - that's the way they do it. Dogs were really mean!!! Down there they call the wild mean pigs Captain Cookers - Pigs let go wild by Capt. Cook that have bred with domestic ones...really REALLY big!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2008
6:22 AM

Post #4774656

Keaau, love number 6 - don't hold your breath!
Rather gross to have to spread entrails all over the place, I wonder if it works! All I can imagine is the flies and maggots - yuk!
I haven't heard that there is a pig explosion of numbers here on Maui, but I don't live on the windward side. We have mostly deer and wild goats. Any luck with the pig hunter guys?
Remind me not to go to a Maori dinner party...
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 8, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #4778044

My nephew is coming to help tonight, and we have no intention of grabbing and stabbing. We are going to ambush and shoot. When I was in college on Oahu I knew fellows who hunted pig that way. I thought they were just showing off to the girls, not knowing that was how it had to be done there.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 9, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4778199

Grab and GET stabbed is more like it --check the tusks on this thing!

This message was edited Apr 8, 2008 8:13 PM

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gumlla

gumlla
Mirpur (A.K)
Pakistan
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #4782311

Why I missed this threa????
After few weeks I am moving to a new home but there are lots of wild pigs and these are enemy of plants especially veggis, is there any plants which are known as pig resistant plants? How can I push them away from my garden?
Kaleem

Here you can see my new house

Thumbnail by gumlla

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 9, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #4782333

Lovely house!!!!!

From what I understand...there is nothing except for large mean dogs...maybe.

gumlla

gumlla
Mirpur (A.K)
Pakistan
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #4782360

AlohaHoya
Thank you, dogs are not allowed , there are no boundary walls with these houses because of strict security but pigs can roam every where...
Kaleem
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #4782583

Are there wild pigs in Pakistan? DH grew up eating them but he is from Texas.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2008
5:33 AM

Post #4785582

Aloha Kaleem, and welcome! Your new house looks very pretty and the garden is so nice and green. What is the red bush we can just see peeking out on the right side of the photo, it's really a beautiful bright red - bouganvilla? So sorry to hear you have pig problems there too, we are all waiting to see if Keaau can make a dent in the population tomorrow with the help of his (?)nephew...
Jen

gumlla

gumlla
Mirpur (A.K)
Pakistan
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4786948

Jen
Thank you. Yes you are right that is bouganvilla. This is the most favorite vine here because need less maintenance and give lots of colors.
ByndeweedBeth
I wish you DH should live near my new house...
Kaleem
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #4787155

LOL, he would be fat and happy!
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 10, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #4789221

Last night no pigs came past where we dragged pig parts. Heard them making noises in their tunnels in the uluhe, (nasty, branching, climbing fern that forms acres of dense tangles) but none came into the cleared areas. Also put a shovel of dog droppings at the ends of pig tunnels, and threw pig parts down the tunnels in the uluhe. Not sure just what kept them away, but this is the first night in at least six weeks that there was no pig damage. Hope this was not a fluke, and that it keeps up.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 11, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #4789318

OH GOOD!!!! Keep it up...running out of pig parts?????

Maybe you could go by the Keaau Shelter and get a random collection of dog poop...there is safety in numbers!!!!!

gumlla

gumlla
Mirpur (A.K)
Pakistan
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #4790711

Is there any body know who can tell me that pigs like Hostas? I am really worry about my Hostas , here Hostas are not avaiable and the Hostas I have are from DG friends so these are my most preciouse plants.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 11, 2008
5:21 AM

Post #4790879

Pigs love tubers, worms, fermented anythings. The preferences of pigs in Pakistan are probably not different from here...wherever they can find anything, they dig (root it up). I would grow your hostas in pots or within a fence. Pigs are not picky...they can plow up ground as if they were a tractor looking for grubs, worms etc...

I would look at your local authorities rather than us... They probably have a better idea of what to do.

Good luck!

Carol
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 11, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #4791083

At least after following this post, I no longer feel our squirrels and moles are such a big problem here in DC.
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 11, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #4794143

Gumlla, the pigs dug up and ate a lot of my hostas corms, as well as decimated most of my lilies. I completely lost three or four different hostas that cannot be replaced. About the only fleshy roots pigs don't like are colocasias, alocasias and xanthosomas. They all contain oxalic acid which pigs don't like. Some of the euphorbia with white sap is also distasteful to pigs. (now watch some hungry pigs prove me wrong). I notice your hostas are in pots, which should protect them from pigs.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 11, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #4794501

OH, keaau...i just remembered that a friend of mine laced some sweetpotatos with poison...might give that a try!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #4802038

Wondering if the pig guts are still working Keaau?
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

April 14, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #4804489

BHMom,

Let's hope no one quotes you out of context on that one.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2008
5:32 AM

Post #4805639

Golly - don't tell me I've put my trotter in my mouth again!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #4810192

LOL. I actually like that post. I get a good laugh out of it every time I read it.
keaau749
Kea'au, HI

April 16, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #4815056

Braveheartsmom, the pig guts and dog poop worked for almost a week. Pigs were back with a vengeance last night. I am quite upset with the damage. Alohahoya, met Marvin from Kopua Farms over the weekend. He gave me contact info to a reliable pig hunter he uses. Marvin says he has had major pig damage this year to his commercial crops, which is his livelihood, poor fellow. He also gave me contact info for fellow with 33 yd dump truck who delivers mulch for $100 less per load than the fellow I use. Now I can get another 200,000 lbs of pig attraction cheap! Unless anyone can come up with a better idea, I am back to trying to kill them off one by one.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4815136

The only other thing I can think of is skunks. But I really don't think you want to be smelling them all the time. lol
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 16, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #4815272

I like my wild foraging pigs really dead!!!! Goferit!

Is the guy's name Bob with the truck? Yes...you need more macnut mulch!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4819184

I'm soooo sorry that Paradise has such a problem. We who don't normally know of such are really traumatized to realize that all is not as it seems. We all wish for what the other has until we know the real troubles they endure. Will pray that a solution soon presents itself. Oddly East Texas has the same problems. Don't leave a dog outside after dark. Also a lot of what is termed Texas Hill Country. Mankind's irresponsibility is to blame. God save us all.

Princess Kilikina
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #4820400

So sorry to hear the guts and poop were only a short term fix - I think the only thing you are going to be able to do long term is electric wire strung tree to tree, or perhaps you are off the grid?
What poison did your friend bait with Carol? Of course it's got to be something the dogs won't get into...
Good luck with the hunting...
Jenny
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 17, 2008
7:06 AM

Post #4821086

The poison was arsenic or cyanide...i forgot which. MOST dogs wouldn't eat sweetpotatoes... (mine would!!!!)... This seems to be a really serious problem.

Aside from Coqui frogs...there are few pests in paradise. I think perhaps more pressure on the local government to help with the pigs is in order...

Don't you, keaau/
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

April 21, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #4842909

We don't have any pigs on Kwaj, it is waaay too small. But the outer islands have come up with a rather unique solution. They raise (?) pigs on the smaller uninhabited islands - then go there to get one or two when they are wanted. No damage - no problems. Too bad you can't do the same within Hawaii. Sure hope you can find a solution...I think Carol may have it right...lots of people screaming to the local government folks to do SOMETHING may prove your best bet.

Good luck!
Shari
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2008
5:20 AM

Post #4931649

Bumping this thread because I want to know how Keaau is getting on with the pig problem...
Keaau, are you there?
I hope all is well...

Aloha,

Jenny

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

May 10, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #4934252

Hey Keaau,

Sounds like you have gone through the ringers dealing with pigs. Being on the edge of Wao Kele O Puna means you have an endless supply of Sus.
They investigate anything newly planted and molest anything with a scent.

I caution you to avoid getting the free mulch. It comes along with many plant disease and pest problems, as well as inviting the pigs.

Spreading pig parts won't distract pigs, as the living pigs will eat dead pigs when they're hungry.

Setting snares on the pig trails may help. It will cause the caught pig to freak-out and it's partners will run.

To maintain a kitchen garden, you will need fencing. Keep your flower beds near your house. Established fruit trees are ok in the open.

Feral pig populations are higher now than they have ever been.

Get a freezer and sausage grinder; smoke the product with the invasive strawberry guava. Invite your friends over for dinner!

Aloha, Dave
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

May 11, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #4935080

Dave,

If Life serves up lemons, we're supposed to make lemonade --you've provided a corollary: when Life serves up Wild Hogs, make sausage.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

May 11, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #4935216

Hey JPlunket,

Wild pigs make the best sausage that you can catch in your backyard! The invasive strawberry guava (Psidium cattleianum) is excellant firewood for smoking the meat.
In Puna you can be a good environmentalist / conservationist just by making sausage!

Dave
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

May 12, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #4938850

It all makes sense --animal pests, taken down, ground up and smoked, using plant pests, pulled up. All problems in the world should be as neatly and symmetrically resolved.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 12, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #4939373

I nominate Dave for President. Maybe his unique and conservationist attitude would cure the rest of the ills this poor planet faces.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 12, 2008
5:31 AM

Post #4939527

we may all be reduced (enticed) to this as our food becomes too expensive to be flown in...THAT may solve the problem of wild pigs. We may be talking, soon, about saving the 'last wild pigs on the island;
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2008
5:40 AM

Post #4939548

Our paper had an article this week about how the vog was harming some of the plants on the BI. I guess vog and rain equal acid rain... Anybody notice anything? I thought a couple of weeks ago when we had two bouts of vog coming up from the BI that the garden looked "thin". Almost as if it were autumn-y (is that a word?). Everything seems to have recovered though, even without any rain.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 12, 2008
5:42 AM

Post #4939551

I have seen no harm but I read that Protea nurseries are decimated! but they are in Ka'u and in the direct path of the so2

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

May 12, 2008
6:11 AM

Post #4939577

A lot of the damage can be seen in the National Park. The sulfur acidifies and kills plants in the native forest; weeds too. If you are driving in the Park towards Pahala, you will begin to see a lot of invasive silver oak (Grevillea robusta) in the native forest, and you will see that it is turning sickly yellow. This is from the vog.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 12, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #4941167

AH. So, the natives never adjusted to Pele's tantrums...or is it just killing the exotics?

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

May 12, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #4941651

No Carol, I wish Pele was selective about picking exotics out from the natives, but the smoke is hard on all plants in it's path.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 12, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #4942563

Aren't we lucky over here...????? Bless those Trade Winds!!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #4943544

Not a very good comparison but---Dallas, Texas is one of the most polluted cities in the US. Having been here forever I did not realize just how bad it is. That is---until I visited Maui. Such clean, clear wonderful air. Something we all take for granted and yet it is no longer what it was meant to be. Of all the wonderful memories of just 3 months ago---the clean air is what I miss most. We live in VOG everyday.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #4943861

And here in the Houston area it's even worse than Dallas. We used to love to go to Dallas to breathe the "clean air"!

It is true that island life cannot be beat, that is for sure! (The scenery in particular, those gorgeous mountains, blue sky, and blue blue water. Here it is mucky water.

Edited to say I think that our pollution is worse than Dallas. Fortunately we don't have VOG here!! Sorry that y'all have to experience that. I'm sure that it is not pleasant.

This message was edited May 13, 2008 7:28 PM
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 13, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #4943944

Well, I also hate pollution, but I don't think much other than maybe Mexico City could actually compare to a real VOG situation. One more reason I love where I live. Miss the comraderie, but like to breath. ha ha.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 13, 2008
5:32 AM

Post #4944023

My selfish love for the Trades brings grief to those on the West Coast of the other islands...and i am sorry for that. When I go to Honolulu on thursday...they are supposed to have a lot of vog... It is a real demon for people with breathing problems...as well as plants!
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #4945422

I just returned from the Big Island and heard all the talk about VOG, but I didn't notice anything or have any breathing problems.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #4945607

I am glad you didn't run across the VOG BwBeth. It can be really nasty, sore throat and stinging eyes as well as difficulty breathing. Maui sits sort of back in the curve of the island chain so we only get the VOG when there is a southerly flow weather pattern, which isn't too often. Now if only Maui stops the cane burning - it's quite bad on some parts of the island and they even get "Maui snow" which is pieces of black burnt cane floating down!
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #4946355

I did read in the newspaper about it affecting athsma in childred and some adults.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5225533

jjonhawaii wrote on LouC's thread about Feral Hogs:

"Guys...Have friends who live in Fern Forest who
will come and pig hunt for you with their quarry of
dogs and knives only. Let me know if you need this
and I'll give you Isaiah's number. They have helped
me immensely ridding my pig problems in Volcano. "

mlassi
Kealakekua, HI

July 8, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5225633

The pigs must all have gone south. I am in Kainaliu and this is the first year we haven't had a pig problem.
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5229413

Very odd, apparently they have a "wild pig fountain" at the Butchart Gardens.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5227520

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 9, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5230876

If you folks are missing pigs in Kainaliu, please come to the windward side; they've been having a convention in the Hilo and Puna Forest Reserves.
mlassi
Kealakekua, HI

July 9, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5231775

I dont miss the pigs. We have a problem with wild cattle though. They arent as destructive as the pigs though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America