Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: How deep to transplant broccoli?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 16, Views: 196
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bearcreek10
Cumberland, MD

April 3, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4749073

How deep can you transplant broccoli? I know you can transplant tomatoes and peppers almost up to the first leaves, but I cannot find anything about broccoli. What other plants can you transplant deep? Thanks for any replies.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4750609

The stems do not root on brassicas, so I plant them just a shade deeper, than thier normal growing depth. Putting them in too deep encourages stem rot. Her is an example of a just transplanted broccoli.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bearcreek10
Cumberland, MD

April 3, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #4752625

Thank you for the reply, that helps.
bearcreek10
Cumberland, MD

April 4, 2008
6:32 AM

Post #4755061

Forgot to add this in, are there any other garden vegetables that you can transplant deep like tomatoes and peppers?
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #4757273

Nothing I can think of off the top of my head. You can "hill" your corn seedling with dirt once they get some size, it helps the stalks stay upright. I plant my taters on the ground and cover them with leaves/straw. I interplant my lettuce, mesclin, spinach, that sort thing with beans and tomatoes. The lettuce type plants like the shade and the beans and tomatoes like the cool feet, plus it keeps down weeds.
bearcreek10
Cumberland, MD

April 5, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #4761411

Another question, my tomato seedlings have been purple underneath the leaves and now the bottom leaves are turning yellow. I have read that this is a phosphorus deficiency due to low soil temperature. I have them under fluorescent lights, the room temperature never falls below 64 at night and rises to 75 on warm days. I used Ferry Morse Seed Starter Mix, and they were started about a month ago. I thought I read somewhere that you should not add any fertilizer for at least two months because the stater soil has everything they need. Should I add anything to help them out or try a heating pad. I hate to purchase a heating pad if I dont need it.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2008
4:14 PM

Post #4761501

You surely don't need a heating pad for tomatoes. They may be root bound if you have not repotted them. A month is a long time for them to set in one place. I have never had to add fertilizer, but many folks and nurseries do use a water soluble complete fertilizer like Miracle -Gro after the plants are repotted. Makes a more lush looking plant.
bearcreek10
Cumberland, MD

April 5, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #4761532

Thank you for the fast reply. They are still in the 1" x 1" starter trays so I will transplant later today. Can I use the starter soil in the transplant?
bearcreek10
Cumberland, MD

April 5, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #4761535

Just checked, it has only been 3 weeks.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #4761753

I am not familiar with the Ferry- Morse mix. Use Pro- mix myself. But you definitely need a good growing mix without the water retaining granules. The Miracle-Gro mix is readily available here at Lowes, Home Depot etc and lots of folks use it, so it seems to work ok. There are lots of other brands out there.
elaine107
McKeesport, PA

April 5, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #4761917

Thank you for thias thred.
My husband and I just love fresh broccoli and thanks to your posts here we are going to try planting some this year.
We don't have a lot of space for vegetables without giving up some of my flower garden spacd but we do have a small area behind the garage.
I'm sure I will be back for help
Thanks again,'
Elaine
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #4762064

Broccoli is very easy to grow, Get a little DIPEL dust (Bacillus Thuringiensis , kurstaki strain) to take care of the imported cabbage worms and cabbage loopers. These really love broccoli but are about the only insect pests that bother them. Bt keeps the broccoli heads clean. After you cut the central head, most cultivars will keep putting out small side shoots (Florets) for a condiderable period of time.

good luck

dill

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

deanna8
Raeford, NC

April 6, 2008
4:52 AM

Post #4764531

Does anyone have any info about the spray-n-grow products/ have you tried them. Are they safe? Bill's perfect fertilizer. Thanks deanna
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #4765134

Deanna, I looked it up on the web and it should be fine, it looks like a souped up compost tea and it's organic. So it should help your plants do well. Keep adding amendments to your soil as well, the stronger and healthier your soil the stronger and healthier your plants will be. You'll get increase production and they will a lot less susceptible to insect damage. :) Home grown broccoli is soooooooo good!!
elaine107
McKeesport, PA

April 8, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #4776934

Just reading this thread has made me hungry for fresh broccoli.
I guess that will be a new addition to the growing list of plants for what was going to be a very small vegetable garden.
This is our first ever vegetable garden so it should be interesting.
Thanks for all the good information.

Elaine
deanna8
Raeford, NC

April 11, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #4792697

Thanks doccat5. One more question about fert. Anyone tried Messenger looks wonderful all the things they say about it.I got my free sample of Dynamite fert in the mail.I gave my granddaughters 6&3 tomatoes plants to grow and forgot the fert., so they called and asked when I was bringing it so I used the Dynamite(says works for 9 months) They are so excited about growing their plants. deanna
DeannaC
Oviedo, FL

February 23, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9017087

Deanna, I use spray and grow on all my veggies and roses and everything, even my papayas. It WORKS! I use the whole thing, CocoWet, Bills Perfect Fertilizer and Spray and Grow (instructions on how to mix it come with it) every week as a foliar fertilizer. This removes any chance of my plants getting burned. Any that's left over, I use as a root soak on whatever needs it.

You can over fertilize (I fertilized, then the hubby did the same the next day, not realizing I'd already done it)...NO burns whatsoever. My toms (from seed) are producing already, the broccoli, collards, cauliflower, spinach, carrots and cabbage are BLUE!

With the spray and grow, I've found that ONE broccoli plant will feed not only my husband and I, but also my next door neighbor and his wife for 2 months...Last year, my broccoli was almost 4' tall and produced appx 11 LBS of broccoli. I'm sold on SnG

Another HUGE plus is that when I remove the medium from the beds for a rest season, I can mix it all back into the compost heap and not worry about undissolved fertilizer ending up in my seed pots.

FWIW, I constantly move plants and I'm not careful about it at all...the way I figure it, if it's that delicate, I don't have time for it. I had 5 plants pop up (maybe seed stuck together or maybe seed dropped into the compost heap last year) in between my collards and broccoli...I just pull them up by the stem, if the roots come up, great..if not...oh well, the chickens appreciate the mutilated plants. I've not had one transplant die and have never had one NOT produce (and I've got em in weirdo things, like beach buckets and old paint buckets).

I do, however, plant my broccoli about a half inch deeper than recommended as we get a lot of wind this time of year, and I'd rather wait an extra week for the plant to appear than to have to shore up all those plants...broccoli's top heavy, lol.

Hope this helps!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America