-
AuthorContent
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #4749453

Thanks for a great memory. When my Mother was in the nursing home, her roommate's name was also Helen. She gave me her blue/purple hyacinth when it started to fade. I brought it home and planted it in my garden. It has multiplied into several plants. My Mother and Helen have both passed away. I looked this morning and Helen's hyacinths are sticking their noses out of the ground. Thanks for a great article.

DEMinPA
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2008
5:24 AM

Post #4749476

This is a really sweet article, heartwarming. Thank you.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 3, 2008
9:45 AM

Post #4749683

Very nice.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #4749941

Lovely story... and lovely thought! I would always ask the nurses to save the inexpensive flower vases I used to bring cut flowers weekly to my mother in the nursing home (they get expensive if you have to buy lots of them) but I never thought to ask about potted plants brought for others. Thanks.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #4750343

Yes, sweet. Well done, the article and the rescuing!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #4750845

Lovely article! My mom's assisted living place had a raised garden for those who liked to putter in the garden, it was amazing how this made the residents smile. This article made me smile and remember the better times. Thank you.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #4750857

Sweet article and a great idea. Thank you.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #4751764

In my article about tete-a-tete daffodils http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/747/
I discussed haunting the halls of my dad's assisted living center looking for more daffodils, but i never found any. I guess it's time to do that again! Thank you for the sweet reminder.
xx, Carrie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4753124

That's right! I knew somebody else had written about rescuing fading plants from a nursing home... It was Carrie and those little daffs!

Nancy, thanks for a wonderful article and a great story! I've got hyacinths blooming in my garden this week... and now they'll remind me of a couple of Helens I've never met. :-)

It sounds like you've made a "gardening friend" in Helen's roommate... and I'll bet she'll gather some treasures for you!
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4753891

I had never given this much thought. Will have to check into that possibility. I am sure there are some around here that do not have landscapers to take care of the grounds. I wonder if any of them would let me plant the soon to be discarded bulbs around their grounds? Definately something to look into!
arbs
Boalsburg, PA

March 3, 2010
12:43 AM

Post #7600808

Delighted to know that so many gardeners are aware of the floral discards and then recycling and beautifying with them when able. Last year the local branch bank grounds were being tidied at the end of the spring bulb season and hundreds of spent tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths were being pulled out in great clumps. When the landscapers told me the discards would go to the "Landfill," I asked if I could have them because I hated to think that so many beautiful potential flowers were being discarded. They said that it was not allowed. What a dreadful waste but I hope they are blooming at the "Landfill."
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7604330

The millions of bulbs at the Keukenhoff are discarded at the end of the season, also... I was appalled at the thought, but one of the head gardeners explained to me that since the foliage was not allowed to mature (how untidy), the bulbs didn't amount to much when they were removed, so there would be no point in saving them or giving them away.
wildyellow
Ottawa
Canada

March 5, 2010
10:57 PM

Post #7607951

I am so glad to read this post. For a few years several years ago, I 'forced' hyacinths during the winter so we had early blooms in February through to Easter. When I was taught to 'force' these bulbs, I was told that these bulbs were useless once they were forced and bloomed and should be discarded. But I am one who cannot bear to discard anything that nature has made, so I planted them, most of them in inconspicuous little nooks, or in areas which are not completely hospitable. Every spring, I am surprised when I notice these little blooms in unexpected places. I am so glad that I gave these blubs a second chance and it amazing how long they survive. There is a nursing home which I pass on my walks almost daily. I must stop in a see if I can 'rescue' a few.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7610962

Excellent re-reading!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Second Chance For Helen's Hyacinths Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice story MistyPetals 1 Apr 3, 2008 4:40 PM
Charming story. chrisw99 0 Apr 3, 2008 5:58 PM
Wonderful story doccat5 0 Apr 3, 2008 8:50 PM
I'll remember this! karri_sue 0 Apr 4, 2008 3:08 AM
Mom's Lillies KansasRose 0 Apr 7, 2008 4:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America