Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dolphin1252
Orlando, FL

April 3, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #4750972

I've been reading alot about Roll Out mats that all you have to do is roll out and water. It seems pretty easy. I live in Florida and wanted to know if anyone has had an experience with this product.
merpeg
Midwest City, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #4751678

I haven't tried them but have had several friends that have in the past. I'm sorry, Dolphin, but they were very disappointed in what they ended up with. Nothing as lush as the advertisement looked like. Maybe they have been improved, but I don't know. A mixed seed packet from a reputable dealer would have been a better look than what they got.

Good luck, Merpeg

Thumbnail by merpeg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

2zeus

(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #4751722

I tried those eons ago when I first started gardening, and had no luck at all, I don't think a single thing came up!

If you are looking for easy plants, try some annuals like:

Calendula - orange, yellow
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/143911/

Bachelor's Buttons - blue, pink, purple, white
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/2046/

Shirley Poppy - white, pinks, reds
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/11137/

Candytuft - white, purples, pinks
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/80763/

Those are all easy to find, and easy to grow, and very rewarding when you are just getting started gardening. I'm sure lots of other DG'ers can suggest things I've forgotten.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #4757253

Same here, I'm sorry to say the results were very disappointing.

2zeus has some excellent suggestions, and you might want to include pansies, coreopsis, for contrast some lirope, petunias, & as a rose freak, of course roses...LOL Even one of those "cans" of wildflowers would be great, just cover the seed with some straw so you aren't feeding the birds :)
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #4764465

Along with the others above:
Cosmos, portulaca or moss roses, bachelor buttons, 4 o'clocks and alyssum are all very easy to grow also.

doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2008
12:05 PM

Post #4765122

Oh yes, dmac, I love the portulaca...they are tough little flowers and just produce such lovely flowers and can take the heat without much problem.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #4765788

Yeah, they're awesome! I used them all the time when I lived in NM. We were always on water restrictions in the summer so I started finding drought tolerant plants. I'm ridiculous enough to even save the seeds from those tiny things:lol: They just keep on flowering right up until frost and I don't have to deadhead. I usually get the mixes but I noticed that I think Stokes had individual colors available which would be good if you had color combos in mind.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #4765817

I actually prefer the mixes...it's like "finding jewels" where you least expect it, because you're never sure what you're going to get. :) I use them liberally all over the place, I enjoy them so much. They make me smile.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4765828

Ditto! The doubles are my favorites, all ruffly, they sort of remind me of little bit of crepe paper flowers like on floats.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #4765873

Actually, those look very much like true big moss roses, one of my favorites. I'm fascinated with the petal structure and most of them are sooooooooooo fragrant.
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #4780416

Dolphin,
I started gardening in the middle of the summer, so not much experience. However, I was blessed with a yard that had many flowers already in it. I have to say that I have two very impressive flowers I can't get enough of. The first is the true blue Bachlor's buttons. Apparently it reseeds A LOT but the color is so beautiful, I just love it. I took this and did no enhancements to it.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/187868/

I plopped this pincushion flower down before I knew what I was doing. It is a perennial and has approximately 100 blooms and bulbs on it. Both of these flowers are great in arrangements and the bachelor's button can be dried. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/177154/ This was a month ago. It continued blooming in my zone all winter and has doubled in size, but has maintained a nice mounded shape. I haven't applied fertilizer and only dead head it. I see more of these in the future. Also, blanket flower and trailing verbena are nice punches of color with little maintenence.

Another Bachelor's button in purple...

Thumbnail by pupilpropogtr

glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #4783905

My grandson bought his mom one of those "wildflower" mixes in a can. You do NOT want to know the trash/junk that came up. Except for two California poppies, nothing bloomed! I personally would not recommend them.

So, I agree with the others about buying the easy-to-grow flowers in the packets and liberally sowing them. Just remember, don't weed the bed until you know for sure what it is that's growing there. I sowed a variety of seeds in some of my beds several weeks ago. I have lots of "things" coming up, but the only one I can ID at this point are the nasturtiums.

Karen

kelli1993
Allentown, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2008
5:47 PM

Post #4792860

A rollout was one of the things that got me into gardening in the first place. The one I bought is no longer available, but it was absolutely gorgeous.

It was 3 or 4 rolls, separated by color & height. I got so many compliments, and saved seeds from each year.

It doesn't hurt to try it.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #4794473

I haven't tried one since I was a teenager but I do see them offered on either QVC or HSN in the spring. You could search either place for them and read the customer reviews to see if that particular brand worked out.

Since you live in FL I would also search out any of the great varieties of Lantana which most butterflies love. Here it is mainly grown as an annual but they spread beautifully and flower practically non-stop. They would probably be like a perennial in FL.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4797279

There are a large variety of seed rolls on Amazon and they ship free with a $25 order:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=outdoor&field-brandtextbin=Creative Garden Concepts

Lantanas are one of my favorites. They are perennial here, coming back from the roots. Butterflies love them and they bloom all summer.

Karen
kelli1993
Allentown, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #4833868

The roll out I got contained the following: (NutraGro... via QVC): Batchelors button (pink, purple, fuschia, white); shirley & california poppy; tall, fragrant alyssum; short alyssum, baby's breath; cosmos; lavatera (fuschia, pink, & white); and marigolds (red w/ gold, gold w/ some red, and just gold... varying sizes.).

The height & color variations w/ each roll grew in an absolutely gorgeous way that everyone thought I was educated in gardening. Since then, I've save those seeds & have had invested in more than 72 varieties.

I'm uncertain which type & brand you got, but if you section off one little parcel specifically for this, you probably won't be sorry. IF you follow the directions.

I wish you the best & hope this is a great start, or a new direction.

Kelli
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #4838223

Dolphin,

Your best bet is to go to a good garden center and get advice. Florida has a very tough climate compared to our neighbors to the north. If you have time go to Leu Gardens and take a look at what they are growing.

If you see something you like that is in full bloom it may too late to plant. We have two seasons of flowers here, the winter flowers>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4838232

And the summer flowers>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #4838240

Some folks like the year round look of colorful foilage>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4838269

It will take time and lots of observing other folks success>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #4838284

I have been living in Tampa for 6 years (we have exactly the same climate) and I am still learning. I take lots of digital photos>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #4838311

I go to places like Bok Tower, Disney and the botanical gardens (Leu in Orlando & Selby in Sarasota) those folks have decades of experience in this area.

Selby>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #4838321

Bok Tower>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #4838334

Disney is the best, Epcot>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #4838344

Disney has a huge budget>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #4838367

My advice is keep the camera handy and get a bumper sticker that says "I brake for flower beds"

reenygarden
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #4877093

Thanks Dale!

I live in Jacksonville, FL - close to the St. Johns River so I am in Zone 9a. Most nurseries will send catalogs saying I am Zone 8 which caused me to lose many plants last year. The garden centers sell many beautiful flowers that make it about 2 weeks in our hot Florida sun. Also, my area is full of Live Oak Trees which make the soil quite acidic. When I find something that works, I stick with it! Lantana, Daylilies, Roses, Lithriope, Azaleas, Impatiens, Caladium, Hydrangea, Camelias and Budhist pine all do well here. This year I added knockout roses, gallardia and coneflowers because they do so well in the garden at my corporation. The petunias, pansies and snapdragons I planted in January are already beginning to droop in the heat. I may get another 2 weeks to a month. They were so beautiful, I will definitely plant them again in the fall (December here). This new hobby is so much fun!
verobeachreneej
Vero Beach, FL

July 15, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #5263500

Hello my name is Renee and I'm new at this...I tried to plant a summer garden here in vero and none of my seeds sprouted...I'd like to try again for fall...my question is this...when do I start the seeds and what kind of seeds should I try...Please help any advise is welcomed
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #5277959

Hi Renee,

Welcome to DG!

As for seeds not sprouting, I don't have much luck at that either. I get good results from cosmos, zinnias, bachelor buttons, nasturtiums, morning glories, and four o'clocks. Big seeds, you know. Unfortunately, I don't know how these would do in your area. Very fine, fussy seeds, I never get those to come up.

You might want to start a new thread to ask this question, that way it will be more noticeable to the others and you can get more suggestions.

Karen

reenygarden
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #5281350

Hi Renee!

I am not an oldtimer by any means, but in Florida I suggest using established plants rather than seeds. Our Florida sun and unpredictable water conditions are very difficult for growing from seeds.

There are many plants listed above that would be wonderful in your area. There are also many tropicals you can grow: Gingers, Elephant Ears, Caladium (in shade), rubber plants, banana plants...I could go on and on. If you are a subscribed member, there is a forum for Florida. I also have a terrific book at home specifically designed month by month for the Flordia gardener. I read it weekly.

Good luck and happy gardening!

Doreen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America