-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #4753231

I think it is great that people are learning not to be afraid of snakes if they are harmless. But, just the other day here on Padre Island a small 4 year old child was bitten twice by a rattlesnake in the sand dunes and was in intensive care at Driscoll Children's Hospital in Corpus Christi. He did fully recover but required surgery on both legs.

I normally kill about 3-5 rattlesnakes in the spring and summer here at the house along with Coral snakes which seem to never go away. The good part about the coral snake is that I have time to get a hoe without fear of him striking which he can't do. When I lived on a wooded lot in southwest Houston I killed several coral snakes in the back yard.

I am not questioning, as a veterinarian, that you know a whole lot more than I do but water moccasions, rattlesnakes and coral snakes are just part of our habitat in south Texas. We grew up with the poisonous snakes also here at the farm.
dot1941
Houston, TX

April 26, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8522049

NEW QUESTION:

I live in NW Houston. I have been trying to find someone who could identify a black snake about as big around as a #2 pencil, about 8" long with red bands. I did not see any other color on it. I was afraid it was a coral snake but could not remember seeing any yellow on it.

It was in my fish pond. I do not know if coral snakes swim or not. I have several very small 10 for $1 gold fish in there along with a one gold fish about 4" long. By the time I got back to check on him again he was gone.

Any information anyone could give me would be appreciated.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8522739

Not a coral snake, I can guarantee you... photo?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Snakes- Good for the Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
applause Dutchlady1 13 Apr 8, 2008 12:35 AM
snakes fleurone 1 Apr 5, 2008 11:04 AM
snakes in the garden fleurone 0 Apr 3, 2008 12:27 PM
Ode to Thamnophis wannadanc 3 Apr 3, 2008 3:29 PM
I tried! GrammysGardenAZ 1 Apr 4, 2008 1:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America