Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Invaders: Lily of the Valley: Good article

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Lily of the Valley
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: Lily of the ValleyReplies: 12, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #4755338

Good information, I had no idea this plant was an invasive. Thanks for sharing the information.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

April 4, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #4756172

Our clumps are in dark shade under the north side of a large pine tree. There is ginger and a small trilliam with it, but it can happily spread there to its heart's content.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #4756512

A great article. I love these little invaders!

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2008
9:42 PM

Post #4757949

Very informative article and it kept me from making a big mistake by planting it. The small area I had in mind is not suitable for anything invasive. I had that experience once in another yard with mint and don't need to repeat it!

June
littlemick
Maryville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #4758077

Thanks for a very informative article. You saved me also from making a big mistake. I will leave mine where they are, in between the house and the driveway, and under my bedroom window. I noticed them coming up today. Yeah.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #4758169

New Mexico is not the ideal climate for this plant. It likes things cool and moist.
w9nwrwi
Stevens Point, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #4758825

Nice timely article,

I just spent 4 solid hours with a tiller, shovel, axe, shear brut strength, digging up huge softball size or bigger bundles of this stuff out of a 2 foot by 10 foot bed. I may be pushing it but I swear those roots went a foot deep. ( It sure felt like it) They get so root bound and compact that they really get tough to deal with. They are also under a sidewalk next to that bed and some roots grew along the edge and base of the sidewalk almost into a massive rope like structure. Soil level in the bed dropped 3 inches with all that stuff removed. They have also invaded a 15 x 15 foot bed next to the original bed, here we go again. Previous owner of the home must of planted them 5 years ago.
First time I saw them in others gardens, gee those are neat. Now, they aggravate me. Out the go, never to return. Well maybe on their terms, not mine.

Pretty name, little pretty flowers, but be darn careful what you wish for, you may get it.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

April 5, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #4759570

I always grin w/ understanding how our needs and loves and tolerances are very different - usually based on available space, but not always. I have 5 acres - and so you have to know that I LOVE running bamboo and such as that. Therefore, pretty LOV's are also welcomed with open arms. Vinca major and minor, St. John's wort, creeping Jenny, Charlie - all of them - come on down!!!! Now some of the native creepers, like bracken fern and scouring rush, are not appreciated - but I am not vying for "gardens glamorous". Mother Nature is at work 24/7 - I have to sleep every now and again.
JulieWeatherby
Windsor Locks, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5144859

Yes, great article!

A friend gave me a Lily of the Valley plant as she heard I need plants that will grow in shade. But I had set it in the pot for a few weeks where I was thinking of planting it, while I thought about whether I really wanted to do it... Well, I did it just today. It is in an area just north of a tall evergreen hedge and under a Norway Maple tree, where grass does not grow and I am trying various groundcover candidates.

I generally prefer native plants (trying to be a good steward of a natural ravine with a stream in my back yard), but I too have very fond childhood memories of a large bed of Lilies of the Valley at my grandmother's house in Columbia, Missouri. It filled in an area completely between the driveway and the house, and they were lovely. And besides, someone gave this plant to me! So it's just fate.

Thank you for the warning about hostas. There is a good size hosta colony about 6 feet away from the LOV I put in today. So I will pull out the plants that head in the direction of the hosta. But I understand that I may not be able to fight it if the LOV is determined to go that way.

I wonder if they will grow under the evergreen hedge. (I think it is tall arborvitae.) I don't think I would mind that. There is a plastic membrane under the evergreen planting bed, but I suspect the Lilies of the Valley may find their way through it. There's a wooden barrier between my hedge and my neighbors' driveway edge plantings, so I'm hopeful it wouldn't invade their property on the other side of the hedge in excess. It should help that the other side of the hedge is very sunny, being on the south side of the evergreens.

I've heard of a native plant called false lily-of-the-valley. I'm sure they aren't such rampant spreaders, but I may try to find some and try them in the same area too. And maybe some wintergreen or partridgeberry, also, although those two are very low growing and also likely to get overwhelmed by the Lily of the Valley and anything else in the vicinity. But I'd like to try those two, as they are natives that should have green foliage even in the winter.

I've been finding Virginia Creeper all over the yard this spring, which I'm sure would grow in that shady area next to the hedge. But that might not be so desirable either.

Also, I wonder why it works to just mow the Lilies of the Valley if they get into the lawn. That will probably happen in my yard, too, so I hope it is really as simple as just mowing them.

LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #5144985

Yes, I also have discovered that mowing seems to put a stop to the LoV invasion of the lawn. I wish this were also the case with English ivy!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 23, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5145104

I think your "false" LOV may be wild LOV also known as Candian Mayflower. Ours has spread into a good part of the front "lawn" but with it being all under trees, we're happy with that.
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

May 11, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6533054

In the Pinebrook Children's Garden Lily of the Valley are at three spots. One is in "Consider the Lilies" (where a friend of Laura's gave a sampling of a pink LOV), one in "Grama's Place" - a starter LOV from the house in which my sister Laura was born (this whole garden is a memorial to her) and the third is in "It's a Small World" where they line a miniature sandy path because of the song "White Coral Bells upon a slender stalk; Lily of the Valley deck my garden walk. Oh, don't you wish that you could hear them ring? That will happen only when the fairies sing." As an added detail, LOV was Laura's favorite cologne fragrance, which she used year-round. As of yesterday the LOV were gloriously blooming in the Poconos and I'm hoping to drive up to take some digital pictures to enjoy in the off season.

Thanks for the alert though to vigorously remove rambunctious offspring! =)
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6533448

Mine are blooming at the moment. Love the scent.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Lily of the Valley Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I wish I had your problem! dragonfly53 9 Apr 7, 2008 8:17 PM
Me too! I wish I had your problem... LiliMerci 6 Jul 6, 2010 11:46 AM
Can they jump sidewalks? Bookerc1 1 Apr 13, 2008 3:05 PM
I can't get them go grow! andi_lynne 0 Apr 16, 2012 7:00 PM
banana plant Dung 0 Jan 25, 2013 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America