Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Invaders: Lily of the Valley: I wish I had your problem!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Lily of the Valley
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: Lily of the ValleyReplies: 9, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

dragonfly53

dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #4755429

I love Lily of the Valley and always had it growing at my first house. But, after 3 major moves, I still am not able to successfully get it to grow and spread, waah! It grew in almost pure sand, in full sun at that first house. The soil has been better and more shaded in the past few houses, yet every year I plant 10 pips and get 4 flowers the following spring. By my estimate, having been in this house for 2 springs now, I should have 20 plants giving me blooms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is the year I get enough to fill a vase!

Thank you for the well written article, I will gladly take donations, LOL!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #4755768

I'm with you, Dragonfly. I can't grow it for anything. I think our soil is too heavy and doesn't drain well.
Plantedz
Marlborough, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #4755789

I'm in my second year of growth and so far I'm very pleased with them. My soil is not one which will allow for it's roaming ways.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #4755977

I don't have good luck with ALL invasives. I see people complaining about periwinkle, and I am constantly trying to get mine to grow.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #4756536

Same here with lily-of-the-valley. I've tried it a couple times and it didn't survive. It's too alkaline, or hot, or dry, or something here. Lois, you can have all of the bushels and bushels of periwinkle in my yard. Agh! (One man's meat is another man's poison.) Great article, though.

Have you ever tried perennial sweet peas? I'm convinced they're impossible to get rid of. Our neighbor planted some and they spread into our yard. She is very sorry she planted them. She wanted something to remind her of her childhood, but I guess they were better-behaved in South Dakota.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #4756544

L Tilton, it took my periwinkle about 3 or 4 years to take off. Even 10+ years later it still spreads slowly. The rule of thumb around here seems to be that if most people like something I can't grow it well if at all. If most people hate something it will grow like crazy for me.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #4756642

Kelli - I'll have to try them now!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4759473

L Tilton, I think I can find you some seedlings of the perennial sweet peas. If not, I'll save you some seeds this summer if I don't have any right now. I only have 3 colors of them and they aren't fragrant but very hardy here in central MO.
rosewood513
Lanoka Harbor, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #4771676

I wish I could grow these I love them but I plant them an they die??
I wish I knew why, I just love the smell and have several places I would love for something to take over there.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #4771781

leaflady, I read about the perennial sweet peas, and they scared me

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Lily of the Valley Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article doccat5 12 May 11, 2009 2:19 PM
Me too! I wish I had your problem... LiliMerci 6 Jul 6, 2010 11:46 AM
Can they jump sidewalks? Bookerc1 1 Apr 13, 2008 3:05 PM
I can't get them go grow! andi_lynne 0 Apr 16, 2012 7:00 PM
banana plant Dung 0 Jan 25, 2013 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America