Photo by Melody

Article: The Mascareignes Archipelago: Wonderful!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Mascareignes Archipelago
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Mascareignes ArchipelagoReplies: 14, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #4757701

You are a great addition to our global group of writers. I loved learning about your island and am looking forward to reading more.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #4757839

Is Mauritius where the dodo used to live? A while back, I read something about a palm tree that was located on the same island as the dodo and the tree was in danger of going extinct because the seeds only germinated after going through the digestived tract of a dodo. Scientists were looking for some other bird that might have the same effect.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4758800

You have given us a glimpse into your world, and it is beautiful! Thank you for an excellent article.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 5, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #4759436

Nice warm reactions! Thanks all!
Yes, Mauritius hosted the dodo bird, as well as Reunion, it was an easy prey for sailors at it could not fly and had never seen humans so would not even be afraid, people used to hunt them with a stick! I know the story about the dodo's digestive track and seeds but it was not a palm but a tree called 'tambalacoque' (Sideroxylon grandiflorum) of the Sapotaceae family. People first used turkeys as seeds starters and then found out a simpler way by using acid, so the tree which was on the verge of extinction is now saved but it is too late for our poor dodo...
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 5, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #4762595

I'm glad the found a way to save the tree. (I don't know if the report said that it was a palm tree, that's just how I remember it.) The subject would make a good article. (Hint, hint)

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 6, 2008
6:18 AM

Post #4764793

Hi Kelli,
Mmh, yes good hint! Endemic species saving in an important issue here, many have been lost but people are attached to the plants and many try to grow them in the backyard, though this is not sceintific it is effective.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4802687

jjacques, I just now read this article after coming across your other one today. What great topics and info, it is like coming to visit you and the island(s)!

Many thanks! I'll be looking forward to more!

Shoe

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 14, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #4806495

Shoe,
When even half the people who want to come visit the island will do so it will become quite crowded over here! You're welcome anytime;))
JJ
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #4806915

I reckon you better appease us with some more articles, eh? That'll keep your island from becoming a metropolis then! Guess we'll visit via internet!

Happy Gardening in All the Gardens of Life!

Shoe

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

April 14, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #4806964

No worry, articles will keep you folks awake and start staring at this remote part of the world, my next article (next sunday I guess) is on some amazing plants and animals from Madagascar.
Happy gardening to you too!
JJ
PS; does your nickname comes from the game? I played it in Montana many years ago...
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #4807134

OH boy, gonna include some animals this time! Great!

Will be watching.

As for my name, nope, haven't played horseshoes in years. The name came about 'cus I found one once (and that's another story altogether!).

Keep smiilin'!
Shoe
TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

May 9, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #4926609

JJ...

Loved it! Now am waiting for an article with lots and lots and lots of photographs of the lepidoptera from your island :o)

~ Cat

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 9, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #4927901

Hi Cat,
Mmmh, I will have to fix my wings back and go after those Lepidopteras then!!
JJ

FlyPoison

FlyPoison
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9514910

526 species endemic to the archipelago have been described so far.

Staggering, although that may not be a good enough adjective to describe this!

Most definitely an area on my top '25 places to visit' list.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 10, 2013
5:46 AM

Post #9515446

Yes, and some are still discovered like a new tree fern endemic to Mauritius. Small archipelago but sure worth a visit amongst your 25 places!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Mascareignes Archipelago Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How lovely! doccat5 8 Apr 8, 2008 9:38 AM
Hello fellow islander! Islandshari 3 Aug 12, 2009 7:36 AM
Madagascar martinleguaan 1 Apr 30, 2013 6:29 AM
Is everyone aware... prickersnall 4 May 3, 2013 10:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America