Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Aunt Bett, Bee Balm and Battling Bees: Apple Sauce

Communities > Forums > Article: Aunt Bett, Bee Balm and Battling Bees
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aunt Bett, Bee Balm and Battling BeesReplies: 2, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

April 5, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #4758705

The way I learned to make apple butter is to (1) wash the apples. (2) Quarter the apples into a heavy pot, such as an iron kettle. Don't bother to peel or core the apples. (3) Add cider or water to cover. (4) Bring to a boil and then simmer until the apples look like apple butter. You can add sugar if the apples are not sweet enough, but it is not necessary. Optional. You can add cinnamon and/or cloves.

(5) When done process the apples through a food press to remove skin and seeds.

http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Canning/tool-food-press.html

Since most of the nutrients of apples is in their skin it is best not to peel the apples first. And don't use apples that have been sprayed with insecticide or fungicide.

Serve the apple butter on fresh baked bread slices and with home made butter.

Excellent article, Sharran. Once again.

gloria
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #4758753

Ahhhh, that's it, Gloria. The food strainer! That is exactly what was used to make the apple butter...it also was used for blackberry jelly, strawberry jelly, raspberry, and for tomato juice. How could I have forgotten.

It has been so long since I cooked like that, I didn't even remember. And somewhere I have my Mom's food strainer stored away.

Thank you...you just solved a piece of the puzzle that I could not find in my memory stash.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

April 5, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #4760574

You are welcome. Ill send you my address for a jar of apple butter, please.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett, Bee Balm and Battling Bees Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! Just wonderful doccat5 4 Apr 5, 2008 2:18 AM
love Love LOVE Aunt Bett stories!!! ottoson 9 Apr 5, 2008 12:53 PM
Dear Aunt Bett Bettypauze 4 Apr 5, 2008 2:17 AM
Informative weedsfree 3 Apr 7, 2008 5:47 AM
The Official Aunt Bett Fan Club darius 20 Apr 16, 2008 3:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America