Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Heirloom Vegetables: Black Krim vs. Cherokee Purple

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 36, Views: 716
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

April 6, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #4763122

How does the BK compare to the CP in taste? I just purchased tomato plants, including quite a few BK, since I couldn't find CP, and am hoping the taste will be as delicious as the CP, which is one of the best tomatoes I've ever had. Thanks for your feedback.
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #4813552

Some people prefer Black Krim, some people prefer Cherokee Purple. Some people prefer a slightly different variety which is called, oddly, Noir de Crimee which is French for Black Krim! You won't know until you grow it out and try it!

You will have an opportunity to taste those two plus many other purple, pink, yellow, red, and other color tomatoes at Tomatopalooza in Efland, NC (just west of Raleigh) on July 26th. I went last year to the 5th annual event. Over 150 tomato varieties available to taste. http://www.tomatopalooza.org/

This message was edited Apr 15, 2008 2:48 PM

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #4813567

I like both. They are similar but not, if that makes any difference. I think CP is just a touch sweeter, and so does my husband. he hates the taste of raw tomatoes, but likes all of the 'black' types for some reason. Paul Robeson is another black tomato that is excellent.
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #4813984

I'm growing 3 plants of Paul Robeson and it's loading up. :)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #4814117

That's the avatar you are using over at SSE by the way. Great tomato. Got 6 plants started, but will give away 3.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #4832261

This is the first time I've run across folks who have grown Paul Robeson. I'm growing that this year. Is it productive?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #4832543

I found it to be so. It's a favorite here at our house.

Thumbnail by melody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #4837075

Wow, those are beauties! I am so ready for home-grown maters.
jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #4863280

My favorite is Cherokee Purple. It is a delicious tomato!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5095807

i luv cherokee purple~ I will be trying black krim for the first time this yr!
i never knew how good tomatoes could taste compared to the ones i had always grown
I will never go back to those old ones-Im hooked on heirlooms!!!
upforachallenge
Livingston, MT
(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #5096192

I sold Cherokee Purple at our Farmer's Market last year and after a few markets I had people waiting in line before the bell rang. The first few times took a bit of explaining to convince people that they were not rotten and what they lacked in looks, they made up in taste. I think they are beautiful, and it was fun getting people out of the "perfect round red tomato" way of thinking. I really want to try Black Krim and Paul Robeson next year.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #5096260

Well, I ended up without a single PR or CP in the garden! Due to my generous nature, they all found their ways to new homes. I was down to my last CP, and Uncle Joe shows up wanting just 4 plants. He's had 2 hips and 1 knee replaced in the last 18 months or so, and the family threatened him with bodily harm if he tried to put out a garden. Well, he begged so passionately, he got a Blackfoot, Uncle Mark Bagby, Kellogg's Breakfast, and my last Cherokee Purple. He claims that he's only planting these 4 plants and nothing else. The last Paul Robeson went to a former teacher that I ran into on Primary Day.

(I still have 50 plants of various other varieties...when vowing to only plant 30)
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #5097355

i have over 40 kinds this yr and have planted about 100 plants in all!!! cant wait!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #5147110

I just tasted my very first Black Krim yesterday... Oh My GAWD.. I wish I would have planted like a hundred.. I think I have like 10 or 12 plants. I've had plenty of home grown tomatoes in my lifetime.. but I have never tasted such a perfect tomato ever!
I see canning in my very near future.. Forget giving them away.. they are gonna have to fight me for um!! LOL

I'm already excited about next year.. I will have more varieties for sure. Wow..

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5147464

"Resistance is futile...you have been assimilated..." heh, heh, heh, (evil laugh)
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5148556

LOL I've got it bad.. I can't stand having to wait... This is torture! Not like I can run out and get me another one at the store or something.. I HAVE to wait! I can't stop thinking about it.. LOL I bet I would have made myself sick if I had more.. LOL
I ran out and tended them all day yesterday.. I cleaned em up nice... (bottom leaves in the mud, etc) and I am working on fixing the cages.. I didn't cage all of them and now I'm paying for it!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

July 10, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5232133

Thanks to everyone who responded about the Black Krim. We've just cut the first one and it was delish, but I'm thinking later ones will be even better than that first one, which had a good amount of hot weather right off the bat and not much water. We're starting to get some rain and not quite so hot now (even in July), so I'm reserving my opinion. Those CP's are going to be hard to beat, though.

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 10, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5232177

I had a couple of Black Krim that I picked early and they didn't impress me much.. I really was surprised.. They are all starting to blush now.. I'm so jazzed.. I can hardly wait!
sgriffith
Beaver, WV
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #5256336

I've never tried the Black Krim, but I love the C. Purple. Here is a question for those who have tried both. Cherokee Purple tomatoes do not keep well after ripe. Do the Krims do any better at keeping?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #5256387

no, they are both pretty fragile.
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 6, 2008
9:36 AM

Post #5375673

Well I think they are magnificent. I *love* that photograph!

Someone has promised me a Cherokee black this year and I'm really looking forward to it.

Melis
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 6, 2008
11:01 AM

Post #5375780

Having now harvested some BK's and German Johnsons, I can honestly say that the taste for both is wonderful. However, the GJ's do not keep as well and some of them are suffering from what I think is sun scald. The stem ends are getting lightish, soft areas on them before getting ripe. I'll try to remember to snap a photo and post it so somebody can help ID what this is. But the tomatoes which have ripened are lucious!
lavendark373
Marine City, MI

August 10, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5394395

I just harvested my first Black Krim two days ago, and I am WOWED by the slightly salty, sweet flavor! I am growing all my tomatoes in 2-gallon black buckets this year with Miracle Gro Moisture Mix potting soil (added lime to combat BER), and Black Krim is the winner in size so far. My other heirloom varieties are: Black Prince, Black Sea Man, Paul Robeson, Powers, and New Moon. Has anyone else grown these varieties before?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5394417

Paul Robeson is very good. Great flavor and good size.
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

August 27, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5472553

I believe I've heard this question before, and what was said about the Krim was that is was the 'most reliable' the superior producer when weather or other conditions aren't ideal. And as has been said, the Cherokee is supposed to be the sweeter of the two.

All gossip and rumors though, as far as I'm concerned, as I haven't tasted any yet. But as one who has always said if I were the last yoomin on earth and all the grocery stores had disappeared I still wouldn't take up canning...Well. I'm buying jars lids and rings in anticipation of all the good I've heard of these black wonders.

Can't wait.

M

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 10:29 PM
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

September 20, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5574036

I grew one BK last year and liked it so much I saved seed and am growing 9 this year. It was the earliest beefsteak to ripen in my garden, and very productive. It split a little though, sometimes before it was fully ripe, something to watch for.

I have a few CP this year for the first time, just had to find out for myself what the difference is. My seedlings are still being kept warm inside, and only a few inches tall. I usually plant out in october. Waiting is hard!

Lena
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

September 20, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5574116

Hope you like those CPs. They're just as tasty as the BKs.
cpgmar
Heflin, AL

January 1, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #5951868

I have found that the flavor is intensified and the plants are more productive when Cherokee Purples are kept drier than other tomatoes. Our best season was the drought year before last and early planting finished in about 70 days!
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #5952702

melody, you were totally right about the Paul Robeson. This was a really tasty tomato and very beautiful as well. I made a ton of sauce from them. It is on my list of tomatoes to grow from now on, that and Carbon.
tomakers
Middleboro, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #5955243

Carbon was the first tomato I picked last year(70 days). It was terrific. BK and CP are great also, but CP does not keep well at all. BK is a little better and I personally like it's taste better.
upforachallenge
Livingston, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 2, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #5956475

Can anyone explain their experience with Paul Robeson compared with CP or BK, such as productivity, how it keeps, flavor, etc.

Thanks!
cpgmar
Heflin, AL

January 2, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #5957634

Paul Robesons seem to be larger, more knarly shaped. More deep red/brick colored than purple and slightly milder in flavor than Cherokee but IMHO every tomato is.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #5958025

CP is more of a consistently uniform shaped tomato in my garden. It is also sweeter in flavor than the PR and the BK. In my opinion, PR is more intense than the BK, but it could have just been the year. None were grown in the same season, so differences in weather can always affect the flavor.

All are quite delicate and bruise easily. Do not store stem end down as they tend to get bruised shoulders. I use mine as quickly as possible. (which is not an issue, as I eat fresh tomatoes with every meal during the season)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #5959434

I told myself "NO MORE TOMATO SEEDS" but I have already found PR seeds so I guess I will buy them and give it a try.
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #5967464

I told myself the same thing, 1lisac. So far I have 17 varieties to try next year.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #5967476

I'm at 17 also. Some are in pots some will go in the garden and the others I sell. Its alot of work but so much fun.
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

January 10, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #5987006

Anyone here have seeds for Robeson, Cherokee or Krim? Anyone seen people here on DG selling or trading them?

Melis

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America