Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Starting 101: Setting up Light Shelves for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors, Without a Greenhouse: Do you germinate seeds in the dark?

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: Setting up Light Shelves for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors, Without a Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: Setting up Light Shelves for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors, Without a GreenhouseReplies: 3, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Flower_Luver
Ontario
Canada

April 6, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4763140

Hi everyone...do you germinate seeds in the dark? I thought it was best to put the planted seeds in light immediately? I never heard of germinating in the dark...this was suggested on the back of some seed starting mix.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THanks!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #4764010

Some seeds (pansies come to mind) germinate better in the dark, yes. You can do this simply by putting a piece of cardboard over the seed flat... be sure to check it regularly so you can get them in the light at the first sign of germination!

Some seeds need light to germinate, but at Tom DeBaggio says, that doesn't mean they need to get a tan (his turns of phrase stick with me!)... generally enough light for the purpose will penetrate a very light covering of potting soil. I sow most tiny seeds by just pressing them into the surface of moist potting mix.

Hope that helps!
Flower_Luver
Ontario
Canada

April 6, 2008
4:35 AM

Post #4764483

Thanks Critterologist, I have a ton of different veggies seeds, flower seeds and herbs which I just planted today, so I guess a little light won't hurt them. (No pansies). I was fortunate to purchase an excellent light stand at a reasonable price so I'm anxious to start using it. In the past I have always placed my trays in a west window with no problems...some of course germinate faster than others.. thanks again for your input.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2008
5:40 AM

Post #4764684

I was (pleasantly) surprised to see how much difference it made when I switched from windowsill light to fluorescent lights for seed starting... I hope you have great results this year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: Setting up Light Shelves for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors, Without a Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great information! doccat5 12 Jan 20, 2008 2:20 AM
Great article! wind 9 Jan 17, 2008 8:35 PM
Wonderful! gloriag 1 Jan 17, 2008 9:51 PM
Thanks Critter! Seandor 3 Jan 21, 2008 5:28 PM
Planting Out Probs Jax4ever 3 Jan 18, 2008 12:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America