Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Don't try this at home

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 16, Views: 284
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #4765546

I needed a heat pad to start peppers and cane up with this idea.
Took a heat pad, wrapped it in plastic wrap, put into a cookie sheet, placed a sheet of foam, wrapped that in plastic, turned the cookie sheet (with heating pad inside) over and wrapped all of it in foil (to protect from water).
Orange = Heat pad
Silver = foam

This is before I turned it over.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2008 10:10 AM

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #4765552

Turned over and wrapping with foil

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #4767716

That looks like a neat idea. Can you tell how hot is gets with the insulation on top of it?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #4767892

On high soil temp runs about 90
Med about 80
Low about 70
That's with the GH temp at 65
The cookie sheet is turned upside down, the heating pad is inside the cookie sheet and the foam is now on the bottom. Then everything wrapped with foil.

Love Compost Tea
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #4797524

Even with the precautions you've taken, I'm just not a fan of using home heating pads in this way. Newer heating pads come with auto shut-offs, partly because they're not designed for constant use. I use a lot of things in ways they're not originally intended -- but I heed the warnings on electrical stuff.

I know a lot of folks have heard me get on this soap box before! :-)

I did suggest some alternatives to buying "official" seedling heat mats in this article, if you want to check it out: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/556/
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2008
9:54 AM

Post #4800877

I'm surprised there haven't been more post as yours, Critter, and I respect your opinion.
I have read your pages and received lots of great info, but a lot of people would never go
sky diving...that's why I tittled it 'Don't do this' :-)
Many caution's on products are a bit much, 'Don't use this Hair Dryer in the Shower'
My GH is constructed of metal and glass and the bench the heat pad is on is metal,
so I may have cooked seeds, blown fuse or some nice peppers.

Dwight , Love Compost Tea

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
12:00 PM

Post #4801028

As I said, you've taken some precautions, and I figured you were using it out in your GH... but despite the title of the thread, I didn't want somebody to think this might be an ideal way to use a heating pad to start some seeds on a table by their living room window, next to the drapes, using an ungrounded outlet...

I think I'd rather take my chances some other way than by courting electrical fires. But I don't think I'll try using my hair dryer in the shower any time soon, either! LOL

Thanks for reassuring me that if anything goes wrong with your arrangement, your house, life, etc. aren't endangered.

My own "don't try this at home!" thread involved trying to sterilize too-dry potting mix in the microwave.. Fire in the hole! :-)
Sonoita
Sonoita, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #4808025

Your idea got me thinking, around 2AM this morning. I have a waterbed heater I am not using and was thinking of how to concoct a heating pad setup. It has a thermostat already in place and is designed to stay on.
What are your thoughts?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #4810010

My thought is that the waterbed heater is designed to heat a much bigger volume of water than the tray of sand or water reservoir or whatever you're thinking of putting it in under your seedlings... Unless you're really comfortable with home wiring projects (some people are completely competent electricians even if they're not certified professionals), I wouldn't suggest "concocting" something of that nature. If you want to concoct, try making a light box or using Christmas rope lights... even those heating cables that growers use are cheaper than the official seedling heat mats... but please be careful. :-)
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #4811709

I used a back heating pad for years as a propagation mat, but I don't think it's a good idea to wrap them in anything. I have cats, and sometimes they would decide that the mat where I was warming seeds was a good place to hatch an egg. I would notice often that the seeds underneath them would get cooked. This year I finally graduated to real propagation mats. I went to throw out the old "propagation mat" and saw that it was discolored in a pattern tracing the wires inside. Scary.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #4813969

Yes you must be careful with anything you do.
Sonoita if I had a water bed heater and thermostat I would try it , with caution , as Critter says.
I lay a Thermometer on top of the soil to check the temp...nothing is perfect and a DIY can save you lots of $$$$$
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 15, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #4814014

Y'all remind me of the "Red Green Show".
I would never try any of his ideas and schemes either.
But it is sure fun to see the results

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #4814356

Red at Possum Lodge is something...:-)
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #4814388

I know someone that used the whole waterbed as a seed starting mat and it worked in their gh very well but then they were the only ones using it. However I doubt that it would be energy efficient for a small grower. It is designed to turn on and off with the built in thermostat.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #4815165

Using a whole waterbed is different from taking the heater and thermostat out of a waterbed and putting it to a use it wasn't really designed for. If you don't quite know what you're doing, you can get yourself into trouble trying to re-purpose electrical equipment. It's just not worth the risk, IMO. Buy a seedling heat mat, or opt for another inexpensive alternative, or just let your peppers take longer to germinate. :-)
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

April 16, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #4815451

I wonder if I put my plants on the waterbed ,will the Aphids and Gnats get seasick and go somewhere else? :)

Sonoita
Sonoita, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2008
7:33 AM

Post #4821095

Thanks for the fedback. I may try the heater, I may not...I've worked with electricity, though I am not an electrician and the notion of experimenting with the waterbed heater is less scary than the heating pad to me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America