Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nanaluvsflwrs
Rogers, AR

April 8, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #4775153

I did it this year! I love the smell of hyacinth but arthritis makes it difficult for me to get low enough to the ground to smell them. So I planted them in a long planter box last Dec or Jan (here in the southern end of Zone 6), lined a hole in the ground with cardboard to kind of keep the mud off and buried them planter box and all. Then I mulched the whole thing with lots of chopped leaves. They have sprouted, I dug up the box and hosed it off outside and let it dry off and now I have a whole planter box of hyacinth on a table in my house where I can smell them anytime I want to. I did the same with some aromatic jonquils (or is it daffodils--I never know the difference. It worked for them also.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #4775220

Congratulations!! Good for you! Esp for not letting arthritis stop you from getting what you love.
Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoyed!
PS A jonquil is a kind of daffodil, for those that want to get picky. I just happen to know at the moment because I was reading about them. But don't ask me what kind! Need the book for that. I'm calling them all daffodils for now.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #4776019

LOL - calling them all daffodils for now works for me too!

Wonderful article, Sally, I've always wondered EXACTLY more or less how to do those things. Thank you.

xx, Carrie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #4778123

smile- well carrie, I guess I did tell exactly more or less how to do it , huh? my style of living~~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #4778184

I'm with you, sister!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hyacinth Forcing- My First Attempt Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful article! critterologist 4 Apr 9, 2008 12:59 PM
great article onewish1 1 Apr 8, 2008 12:59 PM
Excellent!! doccat5 0 Apr 8, 2008 1:13 PM
hyacinth forcing FLANNIGAN 0 Apr 8, 2008 10:31 PM
How Exciting! gessiegail 1 Apr 9, 2008 1:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America