-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 10, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #4786763

Shar, can just see you on the hunt for anything you could find to dye..love the spiderwort as well...

Your article brought back memories as well, when my beloved grandmother had her mom live with us (I was but a child) and our Friday morning outings was a walk up town to the dairy, a glass of cold buttermilk .. lordy I hated that white stuff...but back then you dare not say 'no thank you'..we've come a long way..lol..then darling Great Great Grandmother would have her afternoon 'porter' remember it was brown, thick and ucky...but she thought all the hardships of the week would be made well by her Friday outings..

Thanks once again for sharing..
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #4786908

Thank you, Betty.
The best part of remembering and writing about Aunt Bett is the mountain memories. But I also love finding her recipes and directions for the things she did.
I don't like buttermilk either, but I remember that she loved it!
Thanks again.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #4787731

Sharran you should right a book on your adventures with Aunt Bett and include the recipes. I promise I would be the first in line to buy one!!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2008
4:55 AM

Post #4790814

I do enjoy the stories. I had never seen spiderwort until after I married Jack. I guess it just didn't grow where my parents lived. Anyway, Jack's mother had another name for it. Snotweed. For the sap of the stems. She loved the plants too but regretted they weren't good cut flowers. I had dug some and moved them to our yard after I fell in love with them. I now have the wild one, a bright pink shorter one, and Ospre(?), a white one with lavender in the center of the bloom.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #4790833

Thanks, Leaflady...they are lovely flowers. I have a cluster of the wild ones, too, the pure blues. Also have the pinks and purples, but have never had the white ones. I will be on the look out for them.
I have also heard it called Snotweed, but hated to call such a pretty flower such a yucky name!
Thanks, again.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #4791671

I hate that name too but for years it was the only name I knew for it. There is another white one out now too. Iceburg or something like that I think. It doesn't seem to spread like the others.The bright pink one spreads like wild fire!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #4796769

Another great read about dear Aunt Bett. How old was she when she died, Sharon?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #4796792

She was in her 80's, maybe 85. I need to look in my records before I answer this. I will do just that before I write again! She was born about 1890, died sometime in the early 70's.

Thanks Pirl.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #4796852

You were blessed to have her, Sharon.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #4797697

thanks, Pirl. I do know that.
adoresaiken
Clemmons, NC

April 14, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #4807581

Sharron,

I love your Aunt Bet srories! We had an "Aunt Min" in our neighborhood when I was a kid. She was the local "medicine man"! She cured all kinds of ills with poultices, and herbs. She wasn't our real Aunt, but that's what everyone called her.

She walked everywhere she went and carried a large walking stick. She always wore an apron and a sun bonnet that tied under her chin. She always had a "dip" of snuff in her mouth! She was a skinny lady that laughed a lot, but very homely and no teeth!

My sister had an infection in her knee when she was about 4 years old (back before penicillin) that the doctor's said was hopeless. Aunt Min came and brought her medical supplies and knowledge to the rescue! My sister recovered completely and never had any trouble with that knee! She is now 73 and can outwalk me!

What wonderful memories your stories bring back! Thank you so much!

Pat
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4808728

I am so glad you enjoy the stories. Aunt Bett was very much like your Aunt Min, except I don't think she ever used snuff. She did wear a bonnet and an apron, though. I have one of her bonnets, the homemade kind.

Glad about your sister too.

Thanks for your words. Makes me feel good.
adoresaiken
Clemmons, NC

April 15, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #4812298

Looking forward to more Aunt Bet stories!

Pat
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4815135

shar, another masterpeice!! just love your writtings, aunt bett would be so proud
cant wait for the next chapter thank you my friend
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #4815171

How sweet, Liz, thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spiderwebs, Spiderwort, and Aunt Bett Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Loved it! Another great adventure! Horseshoe 40 Feb 22, 2012 2:18 PM
etymology of "spiderwort." Dollykat 1 Apr 14, 2008 9:44 PM
blue dye rubyw 0 Apr 15, 2008 7:50 AM
your story is such a delightful treat! florida_newbie 3 Jun 9, 2008 3:10 PM
Capturing the color of Spiderwort LaFleurBonne 1 May 15, 2010 5:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America