Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Aunt Bett, Bee Balm and Battling Bees: Like reading a great novel!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Aunt Bett, Bee Balm and Battling Bees
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aunt Bett, Bee Balm and Battling BeesReplies: 7, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #4788610

Sharon - I can't tell you how much I thoroughly enjoyed reading this latest article in your Aunt Bett series! You are a natural writer! What a treasure to have such wonderful memories of this special lady! The knowledge and experiences she exposed you to have surely enriched your life in more ways than you probably even realize! I also love that you thoughtfully included the recipe for the stack cake. That photo of it makes my mouth water!! I hope you can find the apple butter recipe with the mondarda leaves! Please keep these coming!! No wonder you have such a following already! I'm thinking published novel...Louise
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7109332

Louise,
I was looking back at old articles today, and here you are, and I never answered you. How did that happen? I am so sorry, it is always such a pleasure to hear from you.
So a belated Thank You.
I hate that I let your words slide past without answering.

Have a great day, I hope you are enjoying this sunshine, too.
Sharon

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #7109599

Sharon - I thought you DID respond...obviously no biggie if not! But I really think you did! ...maybe in a separate d-mail!

We are having a nice rainy day today...good for the 40+ plants that were left with us after our RU last weekend! Enjoy your sunny day, Sharon!
Louise
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #7110958

And I came home with about that many from our RU last weekend, plus some others that kind folks had sent me...yesterday and today I have spent digging and digging and digging. I still have a mimosa and a mountain laurel to plant, plus a strange variegated thing that I was given, don't have a clue what it is, but it will be wonderful for sure..

But our weather is wonderful this week...high 70's...and sunshine...WOW!
You take care, and let me know when you head out for the southern shores.

We'll do better about keeping in touch.
Promise.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #7111879

Aren't the RUs a lot of fun? I really enjoy them, and Hank does as well. This year it worked out well that we had one here, because we coincidentally had planted a few new gardens after putting in a new driveway, so all the plants that were left here had somewhere to go.

I'm curious about your view on something regarding the RUs. I tend to like going to different people's houses in order to see "new" gardens. We have some people up here who tend to want to have repeat RUs each summer at their homes. That leaves little opportunity for those who haven't had an RU, since no one up here wants to go to more than a couple each season, given the busy lives everyone has. I'm not sure how to suggest that repeaters wait to see if others who haven't yet hosted an RU declare their intentions before scheduling one. I don't want to offend anyone who is generous enough to hold one, but I would prefer to go to different places.

What is your opinion of this?

Thanks, Sharon!! Louise
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #7112203

KY's RU is a little different. We meet every year for about 3 days on the 3rd weekend in September. That's the only one we have. We go a little south of me to a marina resort that by then is fairly empty because after Labor Day, most boating stops. The rates are reasonable for those who want to camp, or who want to rent a cabin, or a condo. All these places are right on the lake. Most of the same people come every year, and some stay for a week and others for 2 or 3 days.

On Friday a couple from Minnesota always has breakfast for everyone, on Sunday we have a big gathering for lunch in one of the condos, and on Saturday afternoon we have entertainment, we do a garden related craft, we have door prizes and we have a plant swap. After all these years it is fairly well organized. And our people come from all over, Arizona, Tennessee, KY, Minnesota, Virginia, NC, because ours is one of the oldest RU's, and most look forward to it as a mini vacation.

So to answer your question, I've never been to one at anyone's home. Those in Ohio are held in different homes each year, twice a year. Most other states too, and so I can see you might have an issue, but somehow I can't relate to that very easily because I've only ever been to those in KY in the same place and at the same time.

The condos and cabins have kitchens, so most also bring things to contribute to the meal gatherings.

This is of no help to you, I know...but I don't have the experience to talk about doing it any other way. We are pretty well laid back, and enjoy the beauty of the area with little or no pressure since we know we'll be there for 2 or 3 days...or more for some.

Maybe at the end of each of your RU's, you ask if anyone wants to host the next one, and go from there. Maybe you could get it organized to the point where the RU's rotate if there are several who want to host one...You can't always please all people, but if you got in the habit of giving everyone the opportunity there should not be any hurt feelings. You could set up a 2 year calendar in advance, would that help. That would involve 4 different homes. And have standbys in case someone had to opt out for whatever reason.

You can go to the RU Photos forum and see pictures from our most recent one, though the group photo didn't include everybody.

Sigh...sorry I am no help.
I guess those of us in KY are just plain different.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7113327

That is very interesting to see how they are done in your area. Our issue is not getting someone to volunteer; in this case, there is someone who has mentioned being willing to have one next summer, and most of us really want to see the gorgeous gardens and stone walls he has built and posted. The issue is that a couple people who have had RUs in the past have mentioned that they will have RUs next summer, and I'm thinking there should be some tactful way to suggest that those of us who have had them defer initially to others who have not had a chance to share their gardens with us. It's no big deal; I just wondered if you had come up against that. I certainly don't want to discourage people from having them, and neither do I want to hurt anyone's feelings, so I'm sure it will just work itself out. Yours sounds like a wonderful, low-stress, fun gathering. I wish we were heading south around that time, but no way will my DH miss the fall foliage here in early October!! We,too, have a great group of people who attend the RUs in this area. Some drove 7 and a half hours from upstate NY to come to ours last weekend. It was great fun and we had a gorgeous fall day for it. Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts on it, Sharon. Of course, that conversation remains just between us, as I would not want to hurt a single, solitary feeling! LOL Louise
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7113556

Absolutely.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett, Bee Balm and Battling Bees Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! Just wonderful doccat5 4 Apr 5, 2008 2:18 AM
love Love LOVE Aunt Bett stories!!! ottoson 9 Apr 5, 2008 12:53 PM
Dear Aunt Bett Bettypauze 4 Apr 5, 2008 2:17 AM
Informative weedsfree 3 Apr 7, 2008 5:47 AM
The Official Aunt Bett Fan Club darius 20 Apr 16, 2008 3:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America