MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2008
9:56 AM

Post #4791078

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/829307/

Everyone is welcome! Please feel free to join us in our daily walk.

Se_eds - I hope your Daffs and hyacinths make it through the next freeze. Youve been busy! You should post pics when your garden is ready!
Adina - Beautiful peach!

61.2 F / 16.2 C
Fog
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 59 F / 15 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 0.1 miles / 0.2 kilometers
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Now
Through 10 am...patchy dense fog will reduce the visibility to a quarter of a mile or less at times. Be on the lookout for sudden changes in visibility. Motorists should drive with caution and allow additional travel time. Use low beams...reduce driving speed...and allow for plenty of room between you and other cars. In addition navigation will be hazardous along the St Johns River and Intracoastal Waterway due to the reduced visibilities. The fog will lift by around 10 am.

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 79. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2008
11:50 AM

Post #4791274

Wow what a beautiful sunrise Sharon. Thanks for your help
I hope you like the campground at Rosebud Marylyn. Hope the time there is great.
My family had a campground at Sansaba. If it's still there it's the Matsler Campground. Also their community outside of Plainview was "Happy Union". Another great old Texas name.
I'm zombieish!
;)

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #4791280

Sharon: GREAT beach photo--love it!! It will be saved for wallpaper. Those brugs of yours are HUGE. I dare not succumb to them--I will become addicted and have to have a greenhouse! LOL
Celia: love your beach photos, too, with all the interesting "sculptures". I agree with Sharon--you seem to have a bad case of "spring fever". ☺☺☺
Ric: what is that pretty plant with the spotted leaves and pink and purple flowers?
We are expecting a cold front through here over the week-end, too. :o((
Adina: that is a beautiful peach blossom!
Marylyn: you and the girls (is little bunny going, too?) have a great time on the camp-out. We have a Rose Bud here in Arkansas, too. A neat name, indeed!
Rann: I need a greenhouse like yours! LOL (maybe not--I would be in it all the time!)
Kelli: we have a big C130 base just about 10 miles from us (Jacksonville Air Force Base). The C130's make their training runs-usually in groups of 3 or 5--all around the central Ark. area on a daily basis. They are a common sight around here.
Kayly: it was a yucky day here yesterday, too, although not as cold as you were. We literally had buckets of rain dropped on us plus the threat of tornadoes. It got quite "hairy" for about an hour. Later in the afternoon, things cleared off somewhat and the sun came out.
Se_eds: you amaze me--running the tiller!! What do you plan on planting in your garden?

Detailed Local Forecast:
Today: Sunny. High 68F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph.
Tonight: Mainly clear. Low 44F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.
Tomorrow: Partly cloudy. High 59F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph.
Tomorrow night: Partly cloudy skies. Low 38F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.
Sunday: Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 50s and lows in the upper 30s.

We are expecting a light freeze Sunday night so I guess it is a good thing I haven't been able to get my seedlings planted outside. However, next week promises to be an absolutely gorgeous week with warm temps and lots of sunshine. We'll see if the weather people are correct in their predictions. I'm SO READY for spring to get here and stay!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #4791282

We cross-posted, Sidney. Get some sleep!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #4791469

The little bunny is staying home with Daddy. They'll have a great time, too. :-) Today I need to do lots of laundry and get the house cleaned up for them. Ugh. LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #4791823

Ugh!!! is right...I have lots of that to do, too.

That;s the most beautiful beach shot I've seen yet. I'm jealous.

30F
Feels like: 22F

Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 25
Humidity: 81%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 9 mph N
Sunrise: 6:53 AM
Sunset: 8:03 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #4792097

Looks like we're going to have a nice sunny afternoon. I heard the dreaded "F" word (frost) mentioned in the forecast for Sunday. I'm SURE they're wrong. :)

I thought I posted this a couple of days ago, but ...apparently.. I had a senior moment.
So, here ya go Marsue:

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 11, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #4792306

Adina, I am honored that you are using my picture as a desktop. :-)

If I stand outside and wave my arms, do you think I can get some of this CA heat to reach the rest of you? It's not hot now but they're calling for it to be hot later. And look at this - the wind is calm. Will wonders never cease?

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 7:51 AM PDT on April 11, 2008
55 F / 13 C
Clear
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 41 F / 5 C

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #4792578

Hi everyone! Glad yall like the sunrise, I took it last month. I just heard that our high on Tuesday is 60*???? Whats up with that?

Sidney Hope you get some much needed rest this weekend!
Marsue The brugs smell as good as they look! Youre famous you have a street named after you! LOL!
Celia Thank you!
Kelli Start waving those arms! Its going to get cold again! LOL!

79.0 F / 26 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/hfrom the ESE
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa(Falling)
Heat Index: 79 F / 26 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 11 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
(Above Ground Level)

Taken this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #4792606

Well, I've gotten a few loads of laundry washed (and now lying on our bed), but nothing done as far as cleaning the house yet. (guilty look...) Right now I'm going to run away and meet dh at Ikea for lunch (Swedish meatballs... yummm...) and then go to the library and pick up some books-on-CD to entertain us on the trip. We're going to have a couple of friends riding with us, which should be fun. :-) We don't have a van or SUV.. just a Mazda Protege, so it's going to be a little squishy. I'm hoping some stories will take their minds off the close confines.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CDT (50 min ago)
Temperature 75 F 24 C
Dew Point 60 F 16 C
Humidity 59%
Pressure 29.91 in 1012.8 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH 10 kts
Wind Dir NNW 340
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 71.1F / 21.7C

I got these from a friend a few years ago. They didn't bloom where I planted them, so I moved them last year. I thought they were pink lilies. LOL Ah, well... Purple irises are wonderful, too!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #4792759

LOL Sharon, It's 12 hrs every night thru next Friday night.
We make our best money on the week ends.
I am bailing at 1AM tonight.
Yep, we're fore casted to get down to 35º next week.
Sidney

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #4793477

Marylyn, when I was reading your post that said, "...close confines", my mind read, "...close coffins." I think I was brain damaged as a child. LOL
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #4793664

ROFLOLOLOL
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #4794570

Adina, your tree blossoms are lovely!

Marsue - I just have a small Mantis tiller which starts easily( Because it has a choke in addition to the little pump dome). The garden area I have to till was a veggie garden for 20 yrs so you can imagine what the loam is like. About 16 inches deep and friable. If you can run a vacuum cleaner back and forth over the same spot, you can run these little tillers. Still I didn't do much today - just rested - heck every thing is about caught up until time to plant out seedlings and a very few plants I ordered.
Oh, yeah and about 1 doz tomato plants for hubby,

Temps in the 70's today, still cloudy raining now and thunderstorms for later on. That will wash in the nutrients I've spread the last day or two.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #4794628

Sharon, i have your recent sunset on my desktop. my DH actually NOTICED i changed it LOL

Deb, we also are expecting a frost tonight. but since i have no garden, my only concern is keeping the chickies warm. headed out to round them up early and close their doors...

sidney, don't work TOO hard

marylyn, enjoy yourself!

marsue stay safe!!!

Kelli, we need a heat wave! Loved your article on the poppies ;-)

thanks for the laugh kwanjin, closed coffins would be close quarters. maybe it was a freudian slip of your brain, are you clostraphobic? LOL

se_eds, your weather sound as perfect as your soil! wish i were there!

hugs to all, and have safe weather for you, your critters, plants, and property!
♥tf
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #4794705

This time of year in Missouri the weather is fickled!! Yesterday it was in the 60's and some storms moved in then the temps dropped overnight and still are dropping today. It's in the upper 30's now and windy with snow flurries possible. In a few days it's going to get into the 70's!!! The grass is turning the most beautiful green I've ever seen with the cool temps and abundant rain we're having. Hope to work outside tomorrow pruning our fruit trees and just enjoying the great outdoors(even if it's cool)!

Cuckoo
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4795225

Deb: thanks for the picture of Mar-Sue Lane.. . .and would you believe my last name is Oliver?!! (see mailbox in picture) How amazing is that? Wait till I show my DH!
Sharon: I guess I've had my "15 minutes of fame"? Now I can relax--LOL!!
Hey, Cuckoo, and welcome! I don't believe I have seen you here on the weather thread before. I'll have to look on the map and locate Savannah.
Se_eds: lucky you to have all those fresh tomatoes to look forward to this summer!
Celia, it's a good thing you have that scrapbooking retreat this week-end. I think you are on brain overload--"Close coffins"! LOL
TF: I know you will be keeping those chickies warm! I don't have "chickies" but all my roses are loaded with buds and we are expecting a light freeze Sunday night! I guess this means that every available sheet will be used to wrap up my "babies". I just hope nobody decides they need to go "shopping" for sheets in the middle of the night.

It was absolutely beautiful here today--Temp in the high 60's, sun shining, only a few white fluffy clouds floating by--gorgeous. Tomorrow and Sunday will be cooler-only mid to upper 50's but at least no rain is forecast. I worked in the lasagna bed along our back fence--trying to get it ready for the seedlings which I plan to plant next week. Yesterday's gully-washer of a rain washed a lot of the bark out of our other flower beds so I raked up as much as I could and put it back where it belonged. It was good to be outside. We've had so much rain lately that there hasn't been much opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors. Next week is supposed to be wonderful all week!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #4795329

Read cuckoo's post and leave out the fruit trees. :~)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #4795764

Cuckoo Welcome!!

Well Debbie forget the F Word we have the S Word.
Yep 74 today... 31 by Sunday morning...
T-Storms have boomed thru at least 3 times in the last 24 hours.
Right now it is clear VERY Gusty and 63 at 11PM.
That's our normal High for this time of year.
We'll be scrambling to get all the tender plants covered up tomorrow.

Thanks Adina the Alpine Rock Cress is one of my Favorites too.
We've tried a Pink version but can't get it to establish.

Here's a few shots from the last two days.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
3:23 AM

Post #4795766

Spring Beauties

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #4795772

Sue I forgot.
The spotted plant is Pulmonaria.
They self seed all over the place.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #4797295

Ric: thanks for the info on the Pulmonaria. Love that double daff and the azaleas and "spring beauties". All very pretty--sure hope the snow doesn't ruin them!

Our high today is supposed to be 62 with plenty of sunshine. No clouds in the sky right now. Winds from WNW at 13 mph and gusting to 20 mph.

DH and I had our coffee on the back porch this morning. The sunshine felt good on our skin. Our bird house has purple martins in it. Martins are "social" birds. They have "visiting relatives" that come to check out their house so it is sometimes difficult to determine just how many pair are actually nesting in the box and how many are just visiting. ☺☺☺

Here's a photo collage featuring two big oak trees in different neighbors' yards. I took the photos a week apart. You can see the difference in the way the trees have "leafed-out" in just a week.

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #4797898

It's barely 40*. It spit rain, a few flakes of snow floated by and it sleeted for 30 seconds. Mostly it's breezy and cold.

I've been recopying my plant journal. 207 pages. I'm only into the 70's. I've transplanted some of my flower seedlings.

I have so much to catch up on here!

My workspace and I hate to be crowded!!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 12, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #4798232

Sorry, Billy. I feel like such a temperature hog.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on April 12, 2008
85 F / 29 C
Clear
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 27 F / -3 C

... Very warm weekend for the Southland with near record highs expected...

An upper level high pressure system combined with moderate
offshore flow will continue to bring very warm temperatures to the
Southland this weekend. Another round of gusty Santa Ana winds
will affect the passes and canyons of Los Angeles and Ventura counties...
with the strongest winds focused in the mountains and Santa Clarita
valley. These offshore winds will bring even warmer conditions to many
locations on Saturday... with many valley and inland portions of the
coastal plain climbing into the 90s.

While some immediate coastal areas may cool a few degrees on Sunday...
many inland temperatures will continue to rise as the air mass continues
to warm. Some of the warmest valley locations could soar into the upper
90s on Sunday... while the lower mountains and Antelope Valley will
likely reach the 90 degree mark.

Temperatures will approach record levels across portions of the
Southland this weekend... with a few locations expected to break
records each day.

Anacapa Island picture from yesterday.

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #4798298

Kelli: Wow! That's an amazing place! Nice shot!
Ric: I'd almost prefer the "S" word. :) You have an assortment of spring bloomers! Very pretty.

Beautiful today. Must be 80. A bit blustery, but sunny. Still hoping the forecast changes. I have tropicals growing all over the place and there may not be enough "laundry" in the house to cover everything.

Spent the morning trimming back ivy, watering, repotting, etc. The ivy trimming is hard on the old bones when they're used to non-strenuous winter gardening! LOL. Think I'll go have a nap.

Here are some "Million Bells" that came back from last year.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #4798365

Kelli, ROTFL!!! Don't worry, by July, I'll be hot enough :)) Anacapa Island is neat! I love the way you're looking down on it! Love the birds too! What is on the far left lower hump?

I went back and looked at the pictures.

Sharon, gorgeous sunrise!! Will the brugs smell wonderful when they open? (I wonder if your turtle pictures would turn out with no flash? Probably not.)

Deb, Marsue, the world is a fun place sometimes!!

Marylyn, purple iris are fine!!

Ric, lovely spring flowers!

Marsue, the tree shows how fast life moves sometimes!

Deb, I love Million Bells!

DH got my mower ready to go so I had to mow a couple of strips!!

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 12, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #4798427

Wow, such beautiful pics!
We've been to our house today to do some cleaning in the yard and outside the yard...the wind has blown away all the papers and bags or expanded polystiren and plastic bottles which the workers have been using...arrrgghhhh! I am beat after loading more than 10 bags with this stuff! Meanwhile, 2 workers have been cleaning the yard of all the broken tiles, cement and garbage of all kind...yuck! Now it looks better!
This is all the garbage.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 12, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #4798432

We also have part of the fence.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 12, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4798441

Dandelions were blooming.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 12, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #4798509

That's pretty lousy, Adina, that you have to clean up the workers' trash.

Billy, I think what you are seeing is just a pinnacle of rock. There were definitely no people down there and the largest land animal on the island is the deer mouse.

All of the white spots are western gulls. They nest here. They were all over the place.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #4798523

In the low 40s, gusty winds and snowing.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #4798533

Adina, I love your house! it's really coming together. That is a lot of trash to have to pick up! Boss will love his yard! Dandilions are pretty. I secretly like them :))

Kelli, another interesting picture. I love lighthouses!

Pepper, we were supposed to be windy, up to 30 mph gusts, but I'm not seeing it. It is raining lightly off and on. We never got above 40*
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 12, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #4798548

On the railing that goes around the lighthouse lantern, you might be able to see a spot. That is a peregrin falcon.

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #4798733

I see it. How cool is that!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 12, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #4798747

Pretty cool, and we also saw a grey whale but it was too far away to take a picture with my camera.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #4798836

Cooler!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #4798943

BP: about your workspace--you need to get Ric to do an "add-on" for you--LOL
Kelli: great pics of Anacapa Island and the Lighthouse--I saw the falcon, too!
Deb: absolutely gorgeous "Million Bells" the color is so vivid!
Adina: Construction workers are terrible about picking up the construction trash. I know because I used to work for a builder and also my DH had his own construction company before he retired. Your house is really looking good! I like dandelions, too!
Pepper: It has been windy here most of the day but, thankfully, no snow. DH and I managed to take a walk around the neighborhood. I had trouble keeping my sun visor from being blown off my head. We had an absolutely beautiful cloudless blue sky and lots of sunshine, too. Current temp is 63. I was going to take photos of the blooming flowers in my yard but it was too windy--the flowers wouldn't stay still! LOL I did manage to get one of this anemone.

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #4798994

When the storms were going on the other day I went out and took pics of the sky. At the time the storms were northeast of us and posed no danger. But the sky was breathtaking.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 12, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #4799033

Pepper, if the sky looked like that here, we would say that it looks like it could possibly rain if it really put its mind to it, but it probably won't. It seems to take an awful lot for it to rain here.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on April 12, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Clear
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 24 F / -4 C

In case anyone is wondering, no, it won't stay this hot until the end of summer. We always seem to get a spell of unseasonably hot weather in April.

These buildings were built for the lighthouse keepers but the lighthouse is automated now so they are used by the park service.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #4799074

Here's another.

Thumbnail by pepper23

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #4799915

Oh no, not snow. pepper23 your sky shots are terrific. I took some here, after a tornado had blown through a small town 7 miles away.

We had brilliant blue skies, puffy white clouds and temps of 73 this afternoon. We are scheduled to have dropping temps throughout the day tomorrow then a mix of rain and snow with temps in the25-30 deg. range fro Sunday night into Monday. Actually this is normal weather here, our last average frost date is April 15 but I don't put out tomatoes until May 15 - and have had to cover them several times in the last 10 years.

Thumbnail by se_eds

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2008
10:53 AM

Post #4800921

Good morning!

We woke up to snow again this morning. The snow from last week was well on it's way to melt away ... oh well. It's warm, about 40F, fairly calm and still snowing a bit, not a heavy snowfall, just some very light flurries.

Sharon what a glorious sunrise to start the thread off with :-)

Kelli - the photos from Anacapa island are fantastic! :-) What a gorgeous place to visit.

Ric - wonderful spring blooms! Do you know the name of that gorgeous double daff?

Pepper - awesome sky photos :-) Those storm clouds can look pretty impressive when they're far enough away :-)

This is the view out my living room window this morning

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2008
12:23 PM

Post #4801088

Awesome pictures here from all of you. Wish mine were that good...

If you don't like the Missouri weather just stick around a little bit...
Last week was cold then warmer now it's cold with flurries and wind this morning but soon it's suppose to jump into the 60's and 70's this week. My fruit trees, flowers, etc. are needing some consistently warm temps. Would like to do some fruit tree pruning after church this afternoon if it warms up a tad bit.
Cuckoo
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #4801358

...freeze watch in effect from late tonight through Monday
morning...

the national weather service in Wilmington has issued a freeze
watch...which is in effect from late tonight through Monday
morning.

cold northerly flow will bring unseasonably cold air across the
region tonight. temperatures will fall to near or below freezing
late tonight into Monday morning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YIKES!

39 (Wind Chill 35) Should be back in the 60's and 70's after Tuesday

Adina that looks Great!
How long until you can move in?

Rann we got those Daffs in a Grab Bag at the Fall RU.
Google double flowering daffodil it will give you a bunch just about like it.
'Summer Cheer' looks interesting a Late Bloomer you can plant in the Spring.
That snow pic looks like us over a month ago... :-(

Great Shots ALL of them.
Sue what's that red flower?
Peregrines are making a come back here too.
They've been released downtown (Pigeon Control).
Now they are popping up around here in our area.
Saw one WHACK a Dove last year in our neighbor's yard.

Back to the remodeling!
We have the Hall put back together now to clean and dress it...LOL!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #4801480

Se_eds Your Dh is a lucky man! A dozen tomato plants! I LOVE tomatoes! LOL! I have 4 for me. Nothing like a tomato sandwich in the summer.
TF LOL! Enjoy and so pleased you like the sunrise!
Ric You have such pretty flowers and that double daff is just wonderful!
Kelli Great picture and background for me! LOL!
Deb I dont think our forecast is changing either. Its a mere 59* out now.
Sally If I could bottle how the brugs smell I would be a millionaire! They smell soooo good. Even the guys love them.
Adina Oh just look at your house! Im so excited for you! Boss is going to have a wonderful time in that yard. I am upset with those guys for making such a mess with the trash. Shame on them.
Kelli Cool lighthouse and falcon!
Pepper Great cloud picture. Looks like some that highlight our skies.
Se_eds WOW! Look at that sky and its pink! Niiiice!
Rann- Well, I cant complain too loudly about our weather can I? We dont have a foot of snow outside, but it sure is pretty from here!

59.4 F / 15.2 C
Light Rain
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 50 F / 10 C
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Falling)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 7000 ft / 2133 m
Overcast 9000 ft / 2743 m
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Through 1030 am...scattered bands of showers and patchy drizzle in advance of a strong cold front will continue to affect much of southeast Georgia and northeast Florida early this morning. Around 630 am...showers moving east northeast around 35 mph extended east of a line from Jesup to Jasper. The heaviest activity was approaching Lake City and Bell where hourly rainfall rates may near a half of an inch. Wind gusts up to 20 to 25 mph are possible.

Today
Considerable cloudiness with a 70% chance of showers in the morning...then partly cloudy. Cooler. High 72. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

It's been spitting rain all morning and a tad cooler. We'll be in the low 40's the next couple of nights and our high will be barely in the 60's.

Marsue - These were the brug blooms last night (mine are always yellow the first day).

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #4801484

Here they are this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #4801580

pepper: your storm clouds look like ours--threatening!
se_eds: I love that shot of the pink clouds and the moon --very good!
Rann: somehow your 40 looks colder than our 40 would--must be the snow! LOL
Cuckoo: it's the same here--wait 10 minutes and the weather will change.
Ric: that red flower is an anemone--it came in a bag with several and they all seem to bloom different colors. This is the first time I have grown them. They are cute and colorful little flowers, I think. You are making progress on the hallway--interesting wiring you have there--LOL
Sharon: those brugs are amazing the way they change colors that way--beautiful! (I may have to try my hand at growing them.)

Currently 46 and partly cloudy. Heading for a high of 54. Low tonight 34-low tomorrow night 32
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #4802462

Sharon - your brugs have bloomed! They are such a gorgeous color! I wish I could smell them from here. Your photos make me want to try them out ... maybe when we get that geyser in the greenhouse hooked up ;-) lol

The snow has mostly melted already - the sun's out so no complaints here :-)

I took this photo on Wednesday. I've been meaning to get a photo of this "elve rock" for ages. It's not a good photo but I think you can see how close to the house it is.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #4802472

Here's another one ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #4802493

And some iris peeking out of the snow last Wednesday.

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 13, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4802510

So you have elves protecting your house, Rann? They must be protecting those irises. ;-)

I'll be hogging the heat again today. I don't want to hog. Please, take some.

On Sunday... the immediate coast will likely have a few degrees of cooling
due to weaker offshore flow and an earlier arrival of the sea breeze.
However... the overall air mass is expected to continue warming on
Sunday... leading to even warmer temperatures across inland portions of
the coastal plain... valleys... mountains... and deserts. Some of the
warmest inland locations could soar into the upper 90s on Sunday... with
isolated readings possibly reaching the century mark. The Lower Mountain
elevations and Antelope Valley will likely reach the 90 degree mark.
Several more record high temperatures are expected on Sunday.

Arch Rock

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #4802549

Kelli - no we don't have an elve rock in our yard - those are just two houses I drive by on my way to the pool ;-) Sounds like a horribly hot weekend you're having - hope you manage to stay cool. Wonderful photo :-)

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #4802598

Big "rocks" indeed, Rann and Kelli! What kind of birds are those on the Arch Rock, Kelli? Did the iris thaw out yet, Rann? How does the snow affect them?

Currently partly sunny and 48. It's only gone up two degrees since I posted earlier this morning.

Here's another big rock. This one is on Petit Jean Mountain about 65 miles from here. Last May we spent a couple of nights in one of the nice rustic cabins they have in the State Park. This rock was behind our cabin and behind the rock is a cliff that is straight down several hundred feet!

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #4802615

A nice looking rock Marsue - any elves there ;-) lol The iris are totally unaffected by the snow.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #4802790

No elves, Rann, as far as I know! (but there may be a "hillbilly" lurking about somewhere) LOL I'm so glad the iris aren't affected by the snow. It would be a shame for their pretty little heads to droop.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #4802858

Lots to read from you all. Catching up...

Clear60F
Feels like: 60F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↓
Dewpoint: 29
Humidity: 31%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:50 AM
Sunset: 8:05 PM
UV Index: 6 High

Pulling up reed grass here. What fun...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #4802902

Looks like backbreaking work to me, Celia! No fair--there you are up in the mountains and you have 60 and here we are in the "sunny south" and we have 49!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #4802912

Actually, it feels more like 70. I'm sorry I can't send you some heat but Darrell says he's going to be selfish with it. ☺
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #4803009

So THAT's where the Christmas Elves hide!

Grey and Rainy here.
The Freeze Watch has been canceled.
Now it's a Freeze Warning... so we 'might' be spared...

One side of the Wainscoting is in.
Just needs sanded, primed and painted.
Ric

This message was edited Apr 13, 2008 4:09 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #4803391

Rann In the 2nd picture the house looks like it is growing out of the rock! Its huge! It amazes me that the iris arent affected by the snow. So pretty!
Kelli The arch rock looks similar to Los Altos in Mexico (close to Puerto Vallarta). I went snorkeling under the arches and saw some beautiful fish.
Celia It looks like its as much fun to pull reed grass as it is to pull up dollar weed. Hmmmph.
Ric Youve been busy! Looking forward to the finished product!

I've got a cold/laryngitis/ear ache thing going this weekend. Not fun. See that truck in front of us? They're in Georgia, we're in Florida! LOL! This is the "shortcut" into Georgia.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 13, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #4803412

I hope you get better soon, Sharon. I get a sinus/ear thing from time to time. If it wasn't for that, I would hardly ever get sick.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on April 13, 2008
91 F / 33 C
Clear
Humidity: 7%
Dew Point: 17 F / -8 C

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #4803417

Kinda cool today though not as bad as yesterday. Supposed to warm up quite a bit this week which will be great.

Here's another storm shot.

Thumbnail by pepper23

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #4803520

Kelli - I have year round allergies and am on prescription meds year round. But every once in a while a sinus infection will scoot in when I'm not paying attention!
Pepper - I just love looking at your storm clouds! I know you'll think I'm weird, but I think there is a beauty to them, all those dark and light clouds mixed in together.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #4803732

Sharon, I would love to have those flowers but I'm terrified the kitties would nibble.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #4803745

Celia - Mine show zero interest in the plant. It's like it's invisible to them, except for having to walk around the pot!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #4803775

Hmmm... they don't even look twice at the hellebores...
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4804233

My Sharona - that is a beauty! Can't grow them up here as I would have to bring them inside during winter. We had beautiful weather yesterday with highs of 73 and sunshine. Today, Pennsylvania went back into winter mode. Cold, grey and windy - with rain. Our high didn't get above 50. We were also supposed to get frost and freeze warnings tonight - but they are canceled. Still, it is only 37 degrees out there with wind and rain.

I should be thankful for this - I couldn't work outside and rested my old bones and muscles. I think that is what I will do - be thankful. LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4804345

This is in front of the storm closer to me. I thought it was kinda cool looking so I snapped a shot of it. :~)

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #4804651

We have 35F this evening under clear skies after a cold dreary rainy day. Once we get past Monday the extended forecast calls for sunny days and highs in the 60's until Saturday when there is a chance of showers. Hopefully my yard will dry out a bit.

adinamiti...Your house looks great. Bet you can't wait to do a little gardening.

se_eds...That's quite a cloud bank! Looks like our weather is turning the corner at last.

rannveig...Looks like winter is doing its best to hang on there. There are some areas of NW Pa. that have large glacially deposited rocks. In the Allegheny National Forest east of here there are some as big as small houses.

Pepper...Nice clouds.

I finally finished pruning my apple trees yesterday. Between them and my river birch trees I now have a gazillion branches to run through the chipper. I'll add it to my compost piles a bit at a time. Residents of a nearby town are given biodegradable bags to collect their leaves in. They put them by the curb and the town picks them up and disposes of them.
I've been picking them up myself and have hauled home 3 truckloads. I'm trying to stop but I'll be passing through again in the morning... My wife just shakes her head in disbelief. I'll shred them and add them to the compost as needed this summer.

Photo: My haul!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2008
9:54 AM

Post #4805833

Se_eds Sounds like the perfect kind of day to take a break. Hope you got some rest for those muscles and bones!
Pepper See? Dark and lightI love those clouds!
E_B You sound like DH, in a good way! LOL! He brings home treasures all the time! I do the same thing to him that your DW does to you! That's quite a haul! I wish our city would give out biodegradable bags. That would be nice.

56.5 F / 13.6 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 28 F / -2 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy and breezy. A slight chance of showers and patchy drizzle in the afternoon. Cooler high 63. Northwest winds 15 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Didn't get as cool as predicted. Blue Days (they always turn out purple in pictures).

Thumbnail by MySharona

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #4806714

I am un employeed again!!!
Yipee!
I have been catching up here.
I'm heading back to bed.
Sidney

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #4806936

Good for you, Sidney!!!

57F
Feels like: 57F getting to 77 today

High wind advisory

Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 28
Humidity: 33%
Wind: 17 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:49 AM
Sunset: 8:06 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Blue skies and no wind right now but we'll see what later brings.

New cherry tree! Yea!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #4808082

Ric: wish "they" would cancel our freeze warning for tonight!
Sharon: what a pretty blue bridge! Is that the permanent color or is is just a primer? Love those beautiful brugs!
Pepper: good storm cloud shots.
EB: that is some "haul" of leaves! LOL Your grass certainly is green. Ours is just now beginning to turn green. The bermuda grass we have down here turns brown in the winter and greens up again in the spring. I don't believe your kind of grass would survive our hot summers.
Sharon: Blue Days is pretty even if they do look purple! LOL
Sidney: is that "temporarily unemployed"? Get lots of sleep!
Celia: what is that big Rubbermaid-looking thing in the background of your photo?

We have a freeze warning for tonight until 9a.m. Tues. :o(( It didn't get down to freezing last night but tonight, however, I am not taking any chances--I will be covering my "babies" so they won't freeze.

Currently 55, slight wind blowing, lots of sunshine, fluffy white clouds floating around. Very pretty.

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 14, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #4808256

Not as hot today.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on April 14, 2008
84 F / 29 C
Clear
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 39 F / 4 C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the South

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #4808938

Sidney YAY You get to play in the dirt for a while! LOL!
Celia How long will it take for your cherry tree to fill out? Im looking forward to seeing it bloom!
Marsue - Blue is the permanent color of the bridge. We have several that are that shade of blue. Deb and I call covering our plants doing the laundry! LOL!
Kelli Only 84* today? LOL!

60.1 F / 15.6 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 25%
Wind: 8.0 mph / 12.9 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 13.4 mph / 21.6 km/h / 10.3 m/s
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6500 ft / 1981 m
Mostly Cloudy 8500 ft / 2590 m
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...

Tonight
Mostly cloudy and windy with a slight chance of sprinkles late this afternoon and evening then becoming partly cloudy after midnight. Low 43. West winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph decreasing to northwest winds 10 to 15 mph after sunset.

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #4809059

Sharon: Our forecast changed a bit and tonight is now a low of 40 instead of 34, so no laundry duty for me when I got home this everning! Tomorrow is another story. They are still saying low-mid 30s and chance of frost. Bummer!

Deb
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #4809351

wow, that Brug is big and beautiful too!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #4809556

Clear and cold last night. Temp was 28 deg. on the porch but no apparent damage that I can see. Beautiful day, sunny and clear and temps up to 53 degrees during the day. Supposed to have frost/freeze warnings again tonight, then warm up for the rest of the week. Our last frost free date in this area is April 15. I have been out some years covering tomato plants on May 29.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #4809653

I met a fellow who has racing pidgeons.
He's gonna ship me a slew of pidgeon poop to incorporate into my 8 sacks of Live Oak leaves.
I have 2 weeks of things to catch up with here.
;)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #4809663

Sharon: Wow, that brug is HUGE! and gorgeous. DH and I just finished "doing our laundry", LOL Looks like my roses are dressed up for Halloween! LOL

Sidney: you sound as excited about the pigeon poop as I was about horse manure! LOL

This message was edited Apr 14, 2008 7:56 PM
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #4809820

Actually I have access to elephant poop too. My Aunt Maggie swore by Sheep poop, but I haven't seen any sheep around here.
I am still bushed.
Sidney
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #4809968

50s today and I finally uncovered my tulips tonight. They have buds on them so I didn't want to chance losing them to the freeze. Sun was out and very bright too.

Hoping tomorrow is really warm. I have big plans for some fun at work!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #4810024

Yep, only 84F today.

Marsue, I forgot to answer your question. Sorry. The birds on Arch Rock are cormorants.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #4810864

Sharon, the cherry is listed as fast growing, so we'll have to see. At the nursery, they said 12-18 inches per year.

Mau, that's our shed we got at Costco 2 years ago. Hubby spent two weeks (after work each night) clearing the area and setting the pavers and red rock. It holds lots!

72F
Feels like: 72F

Barometer: 29.5 in ↑
Dewpoint: 8
Humidity: 7%
Wind: 18 mph S
Sunrise: 6:49 AM
Sunset: 8:06 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
9:49 AM

Post #4811214

Deb That is a bummer, better get that laundry done today!
TF The Brugs are so pretty. There is a lady that lives about a mile from me and the front of her lawn is covered in brugs (like a fence). Its incredible.
Se_eds I cant imagine cold/freezes through May.
Sidney and Maruse I use manure too!
Pepper- Youll have to post pics of your tulips! Hope you have the day you are looking forward to.

45.5 F / 7.5 C
Clear
Windchill: 43 F / 6 C
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 37 F / 3 C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 2.2 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 9.6 mph / 15.4 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am this morning to 8 PM EDT this evening...

Today
Partly cloudy and windy. Patchy drizzle in the morning... then a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. High 63. North winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain 20%

Lady Margaret is filling out

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #4811216

I wish the brug blooms lasted longer that 2-3 days.
Sidney - when will it produce seeds?

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
9:54 AM

Post #4811219

Fog yesterday morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
9:55 AM

Post #4811222

Then fluffy clouds all day...no rain

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2008
11:08 AM

Post #4811354

Happy Birthday Billyporter!!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #4811402

Happy Birthday Sally and Pepper! I hope you have a glorious day!

This message was edited Apr 15, 2008 8:29 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
12:23 PM

Post #4811588

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BP AND TO PEPPER!! You are both celebrating today and we celebrate with you!!

Sidney: Elephant manure--oh, my!! We DGers sure get excited about manure, don't we!! LOL
Sharon: Such a bright and colorful Lady Margaret! I think we sent you the weather we had last week (without the tornadoes). DH and I "did our laundry" last night and it's probably a good thing. The weather guy said we didn't make it down to freezing but when DH started removing the covers from the plants this morning after the sun came up, he found melting ice on them. Anyway, my "babies" seem to be none the worse and, hopefully, our freezing night time temps are a thing of the past for this season--I hope, I hope!!
Kelli: I have heard of cormorants but I have not seen one "up close and personal". LOL
Celia: that is about the neatest looking storage shed I have seen in a long time.

We are heading up into the mid-60's for today with lots of sunshine in store. Oh, happy day!! :o))

Everyone have a good day!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #4811745

Happy Birthday, Billyporter and pepper!!! I hope you both are having wonderful days. :-)

We had a great time on the camping trip - well, except for sleeping in the bunks. Ugh. The weather was just gorgeous.. bright and sunny, but not too hot. The kids went swimming in the (spring-filled and COLD!) lake Saturday afternoon. I don't think any of us adults even put our suits on. We stood on the piers and watched them and were prepared to jump in if necessary - but we weren't going in if we didn't have to. LOL

I will post photos later.. I've looked at/turned right-side-up most of the pictures, but I haven't re-sized any of them for posting in here. Right now I need to get ready for Bible study. I hope you are all having a good day. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (9 min ago)
Temperature 54 F 12 C
Dew Point 44 F 7 C
Humidity 69%
Pressure 30.29 in 1025.7 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir E 80
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 43.0F / 6.1C

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4812153

Happy Birthday, BillyPorter and Pepper!!!

Winds have died down here, thank goodness. I thought we were going to visit pals in Kansas! Rain for this afternoon but up to the 50's. Kind of a let-down after 77 yesterday.

Mau, thanks. It holds lots!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #4812159

And my cherry IS blooming!

47F
Feels like: 40F

Barometer: 29.6 in ↑
Dewpoint: 33
Humidity: 58%
Visibility: 9 miles
Wind: 19 mph NNW
Sunrise: 6:47 AM
Sunset: 8:07 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #4812414

..."about the woodlands i will go, to see the cherry hung in snow..."

Happy Birthday you two!!!

tf
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #4812973

Happy Birthday Sally and Pepper.
May you both have a wonderful year and wonderful gardens.
Along with a coleus buddy this must be a great day for gardeners to be born.
We are having a few chilly days here.
Hope it ends soon.
Still recovering.
Sidney
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #4813499

Happy birthday Sally and Pepper! Hope you have a wonderful day :-)

The girls and DH are all sick so I've been quite busy taking care of them all.

It was sunny this morning but it's clouded up now. It's 42F and breezy. They're calling for a warming trend the rest of the week - I'm so ready for that! :-)

I have a question to you "laundry ladies" - haven't your sheets ever been blown away?? Keep in mind that I live in a place that's almost constantly windy so I do wonder about these things ;-) I always get an image in my mind of sheets flying about the neighborhood . lol

Hope you all have a great day :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #4813549

Rann, heavens yes, and what a disaster! but during the months i would hang out laundry, the wind prevails from the opposite, so they blow towards the house LOL. luckily we have a LOT less sticker weeds than we used to...

thank you everyone for all the beautiful pics...
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #4813561

Happy Birthday pepper and Sally. Hope your birthday brings you spring like temperatures and all sort of good blooming plants.

It was 27 this AM. I don't see any damage on the daylilies but they are not that far along. Temps are now in the low 60's and we are promised warmer weather this week. April is such a fickle month
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #4813572

Rann - If it's windy I put some rocks on the edges of the sheets or old comforters to hold them down. Nothing like running outside in the middle of a cold snap to re-cover my plants! LOL!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #4813663

oh, i guess i misunderstood the "laundry ladies" quesiton LOL
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #4813668

LOL,
Wind blows here also and yes sometimes it does uncover whatever plant I have put it over. I sometimes put small pieces of brick on the edges.
Luckily I haven't had the ice experience yet.
Partly cloudy so maybe it won't get as cold as expected.
;)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #4814137

Sidney I wouldnt think it would much elephant manure to do the lawn and plants!
Celia I like your shed too. Mine is small and doesnt hold much at all. Pretty cherry blossoms!
Rann - Pretty buds in the snow!
TF LOL!!

62.4 F / 16 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 24%
Dew Point: 26 F / -4 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/hfrom the NNW
Wind Gust: 11.2 mph / 18 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 6500 ft / 1981 m
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft / 2743 m
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy and windy with a few sprinkles early in the evening then clearing. Patchy frost late in the night. Low.43. North winds 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.

We've had a weird weather day. Started out cloudy and sunny, then sunny, then dark and rainy and c-c-c-c-cold, then sunny, then cloudy! Taken on the way to work this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #4814139

Lunch time

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #4814145

Now

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #4814156

LOL, TF. Sharon told me that she and Deb called covering their plants during a late frost/freeze "doing the laundry". That's what DH and I did last night. Fortunately, we didn't have any wind so nothing blew away. However, we did try to anchor the sheets with clothespins (clothespinned the edges together after wrapping the plants. I put paper sacks over the smaller plants.) Everything was still in good shape this morning and nothing froze, thank goodness!!
Rann, such pretty little flowers--are those crocus? Sorry your DH and the girls are sick. What a bummer for you and for them! :o((
Marylyn: glad you and the big bunny had a good time at the campout and that the weather was nice.
Celia, it looks nice and tidy inside your storage shed. Also, it appears that you can add shelving as you need it?
I was able to get outside in the flowerbeds today and get some of my seedlings planted. Tomorrow and Thursday are going to be beautiful sunshiney days with highs in the 70's so the little seedlings should get a good start.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #4814375

Happy birthday, Pepper and Sally!

Not hot today

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on April 15, 2008
67 F / 19 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE

sticky phacelia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #4814380

yellow monkeyflower

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #4814385

rattlesnake

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #4814643

Yikes Kelli that's a big one! I think I'd be scared stiff if I met one of those!

LOL - TF, Sharon, Sidney and marsue. It's a good thing you don't need to go around the neighborhood collecting your sheets ;-) lol

Thanks marsue - I'm really exhausted after the day. They've got a really high fever and a terrible caugh - I just hope I don't get sick as well :-s

Rann

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 16, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #4814752

It looks a lot bigger in the picture than it was in real life. It was about 2 ft long.

I hope you stay healthy, Rann.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4814822

Kelli: love the flowers--can't say as much for the snake!
Rann: I hope you stay healthy, too. Kids and husbands don't do well when their mommy and wife is sick! (Wonder why that is--maybe because they are spoiled? LOL)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #4815115

Thanks for the b-day wishes!! It was a nice day all in all. We got into the low 60s but it was very windy. Waaay windier than I liked.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #4815711

Yikes! Kelli, share the heat, keep the heat loving critters!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
9:43 AM

Post #4816047

Rann I hope your DH and the girls get better soon and that you dont get sick too.
Kelli Pretty flowers! Yikes rattlesnake. I havent seen any here. We have Black Racers. They are non-poisonous and eat bugs, so they dont bother me.

46.8 F / 8.2 C
Clear
Windchill: 47 F / 8 C
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)

Today
Sunny...breezy. High 65. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #4817060

Cloudy again.

Mostly Cloudy34F
Feels like: 30F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 23
Humidity: 64%
Wind: 5 mph
Sunrise: 6:45 AM
Sunset: 8:08 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #4817299

Good morning!

It's a rather blustery one today, cloudy and 44F.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm still standing ;-) lol I'm starting to think they're all sick with the flu I got last month - the symptoms are about the same.

marsue - you're so right! lol I'm making chicken soup, I hope it'll do them some good. ;-)

Celia - neat photo :-)

Sharon - LM is gorgeous :-) Such a deep red color! Wow!

Hope you all have a wonderful day :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4817640

Ok, I finally finished playing with the camp photos. I had to choose carefully which ones to post, since I wouldn't want to post the other girls' pictures in here, and most of my photos contained at least some of them. :-)

It was a nice little camp! The girls (our little group were all 1st and 2nd graders.. there were older girls there, too, in another cabin) went canoeing; hiking; shot BB guns at paper targets (between the big bunny and I, we hit our target a grand total of 4 times.. not very good!)

We had a campfire, of course; tracked leaf cutter ants from their tree to their lair; went swimming (well, the bunnies went swimming.. all of us moms stood along the docks watching... It was only 70 outside and that water was COLD!!! We were ready and willing to jump in the spring-fed lake in an emergency, but we weren't going in otherwise. LOL)

The bunnies also found lots of "treasures" (mostly rocks, acorns, and pill bugs), and sang the "Baby Butterfly" song over and over and over and over and... with verses of varying degrees of grossness, depending on which moms were listening at the moment. (rolling eyes..)

Here's the big bunny in the canoe. She was in the ...uhh.. front. I like canoes and am fairly capable in them in a lake, although I haven't had a lot of experience in moving water. I can never remember which is the bow or the stern, though. I had another bunny camper in the .. back. I was sitting on the floor (also not a correct nautical term, I'm sure! LOL) of the canoe in the middle with a paddle. The bunnies took turns paddling, too, which was not much help, but a lot of fun for them. I had to change clothes afterwards because they kept "catching crabs" and there was a huge puddle in the bottom of the canoe by the time we were done. LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #4817672

The leaf cutter ants were amazing!!! We saw a line of them - thousands of them! - outside the cabin and followed them first to the tree which they were climbing. It was a HUGE tree! I'm not sure what kind it was... If none of you recognize it, I'll post a picture in the Texas forum and see if one of them know. :-) We followed their line down the tree, across the ground to a hole, about 50 feet away. That seemed like a huge trek for an ant! I would have liked to watch one go all the way from the tree to the hole to see how long it took, but there wasn't a lot of down time. (1st and 2nd graders are old enough to feel independent enough to go wandering off on their own, but not responsible enough to know which way they went or how to get back, so all of our time was fairly structured. They still had plenty of time for fun, though. :-) )

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #4817677

Here's the tree...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #4817688

On Sunday after breakfast we went on a hike. This is the big bunny with a bug jar (eventually filled with 2 caterpillars, 7 pill bugs, a spider, and a handful of grass) in one hand, and a bluebonnet in the other.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
5:47 PM

Post #4817694

On one end of the lake was a sunny bank, covered in wildflowers - bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush, and primroses, mostly. It was gorgeous! I tried to take some pictures, but it was SO sunny, none of them came out very well. Here are the best two.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
5:47 PM

Post #4817697

One more...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #4817937

Happy Birthday Sally and Pepper! Have a wonderful day !

Wow, all your pictures are great!Thanks everyone for the appreciation on my house.
Ric, I don't know for sure, but I think we'll be moving in in about a month or so.
E_B, yes, you are so right, I can hardly wait to garden in my own garden!
I'm going to take some of these irises...which I planted too!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #4817943

A close-up.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #4817950

Yesterday we were in the traffic and a strom was coming.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #4817959

The house.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #4817962

Some sheep near our house.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #4817969

Same field today.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #4817976

More clouds and another view of some houses far away. There is a road we're driving back to the city.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 16, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #4817978

Is there a story behind the irises, Adina, like did they come from the house where you grew up or something like that?

Nice weather today but I have things to do inside. Oh, well. It's not like I'm going to get rained out the next time I plan to do something outdoors.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on April 16, 2008
68 F / 20 C
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 37 F / 3 C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the SE

This is winecup clarkia. Clarkias are pretty much a signal that spring is close to being over.

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #4817980

These are the tiles for the terraces and stairs they brought in today.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 16, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #4818013

Kelli, nothing of that kind! I planted those irises 3 years ago in the garden we have in front of the building I've been living since I was 3. I planted all the plants you can see there and many more which are just popping out now. That's why I'm taking some of them with me.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #4818065

I love those tiles, Adina. Your house is looking great! :-)
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #4818527

25 degrees this AM - up to 73 this afternoon. Looks like a low of 50 overnight. I did hand weeding of every bi of weed in a 30 X 40 foot garden this AM, then spread peat moss around everything except the 'walking' aisles. Talk about dead beat, bushed!!!

Checked out our local amish greenhouse which this year - has at least 60 varieties of sun coleus in 4" pots for 3.95 each and no shipping LOL Got 3 - yes it is too early to plant outside and these three I bought to cut up and start cuttings. I promised myself I would not go overboard on coleus this year like I have done for the past 3 years. Yeah? Right!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #4820097

Yeah, Right Seeds, Me neither! LOL
That's alot of work. Bet you sleep real well.
Marylyn could the tree be a cottonwood?
Loved the pictures.
Adina, the house is coming right along.
When do you move in?
Can you get plants from the US?
Not as chilly as it has been.
Sidney

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #4820449

Wow! The house is coming along great, Adina!

Such pretty flowers and scenery.

We had snow again. Just a minute of it, though. It kind of looked like a pyroclastic cloud rolling at us, completely obscuring the mountains.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #4820477

Eve, you take such awesome pictures.
Kelli, I have loved all of your pictures too.
I'm sorry I don't comment on the pictures more often.
I truly enjoy every one.
Sidney

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #4820516

Thanks! Sometimes they don't come out how I 'pictured' them.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 17, 2008
6:32 AM

Post #4821027

Thanks, Marylyn! Loved those pics with your bunnies!
Sidney, I guess I could get plants from US, but I think the taxes would be too high for you to send, thanks for the thought!
Eve, thanks ! Your storm seems so much like the one we had yesterday!
It's been chilly these last few days and it rained, but yesterday the sun came out when we were at the house...no need to say how much mud was all arround! On our way back to the city many black clouds appeared and , by the time we were inside the apartment, the rain began with a very powerful storm.
I'll post some pics with the black clouds later, when I'm at home...now I'm at the office.
Here is the main road from the village where we have the house, yesterday at noon.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2008
9:36 AM

Post #4821170

Well, I thought I made a post last night, but its not here, so Ill start over! LOL!

Marylyn It looks and sounds like everyone had a great time at camp! Where is the camp located? Its very pretty. I miss bluebonnets.
Adina I know you are ready to move into your new home! Youre going to have a lovely garden. Love the tiles and the sheep! What kind of commute will you have to and from work?
Kelli The Clarkia are pretty. Heres hoping youll get one more splash of rain before summer begins.
Se_eds I bet you go back to the greenhouse to buy more coleus!
Eve Great cloud pics looks like a wall rolling over the land. Did it last long? Is it like a white out?

45.5 F / 7.5 C
Clear
Windchill: 46 F / 8 C
Humidity: 78%
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)

Today
Sunny. High 72. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

The warming trend has begun (again). This is how the clouds looked from the end of our street. No rain. That pretty green lawn to the left is mine (taking a bow)! LOL! Except for the sandy side, that's where DH parks his work van. No need for grass there...just sand and dead Live Oak leaves...sigh.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #4822315

The clouds aren't clouds. It's snow falling. It looked very imposing but only lasted 5 minutes.

Today we have that warming trend that was mentioned continuing into the weekend. 70's? I hope so!

38F
Feels like: 31F with 55 predicted

Barometer: 30.3 in ↑
Dewpoint: 19
Humidity: 43%
Wind: 9 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:44 AM
Sunset: 8:10 PM

Celia
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #4823027

Rann: chicken soup is just what "doctor mom" ordered for those sick folk!!
Great pics of the big bunny and the field of flowers, marylyn! Could that be a hickory tree? It's hard to tell without a close up up the leaves. Loved the pic of the leaf-cutter ant moving the leaf.
Adina: good pics of the house, sheep, irises, etc. How exciting that your house is almost finished! I noticed a forsythia in the foreground of one of your photos.
Kelli: pretty little clarkias. Many times it will turn out that your flower photos are a "first" for me--the first time I have seen that particular flower.
Celia: more great "cloud" shots--or whatever they were! Glad the snow didn't last long.
Sharon: Congrats on the green lawn! Our grass is just now starting to turn green. Is that an electrical wire that has that vine growing across it? If so, I'm surprised the power co. hasn't cut it off the wire.
Good afternoon, everyone!
It's 70 and cloudy here. Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. We drove up to Harrison, AR and spent the day. How would you like to have this view from your living room?

edited to add: It was hazy due to some kind of controlled burn that was going on the day before.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2008 1:12 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #4823041

Here's the view from the back yard. This house is on a mountain outside of Harrison, AR at 2025 feet above sea level. Harrison itself is at 1359 feet above sea level.

edited to add: I know that 2025 ft. above sea level seems like nothing to those who live in the really big mountains but it is high enough for me! LOL

This message was edited Apr 17, 2008 1:16 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #4823046

Nice viewing platform.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #4823052

Scary viewing platform! LOL
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #4823068

Beautiful Marsue!
It's very high as my elevation is 21'.
LOL
;)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #4823090

LOL, Sidney! but you and Sharon have great views of the beach!! I love the beach, too.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #4823200

Here's a picture of the leaves, as close as my camera could zoom to them. You can see a few of them have been chewed on.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2008 1:59 PM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #4823309

Marylyn
My guess would be Chinese Elm, or as Marsue said Hickory.
;)
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #4823322

Your view is gorgeous, marsue!!! This side of Houston (the "high" side, mind you) sits at the dizzying elevation of about 90 feet. We have to travel about an hour west to see a real hill. LOL

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 17, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #4823518

Hi, here I am for a short time, just to post the pics with the storm.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 17, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #4823523

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2008

Post #4823524

Oh, Adina.. that's an awesome photo!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 17, 2008

Post #4823525

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 17, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #4823548

Thanks, Marylyn ! My pelargoniums are blooming on the balcony.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #4824453

Celia that looks like what we had Easter Sunday.
Just Splat and then gone.

Adina is the fenced area your yard?
LOVE that tile and the house is looking Super!!!

Kelli we have a hardy version of the Monkey.
I love those little guys.

Sorry to be MIA... Taxes and Work and running plants in and out... lol!

Monday morning we were at 28 then 60 by afternoon.
Tuesday 34 and a heavy frost... then 65...
Yesterday it was 68... today 74.
Tomorrow we'll be around 80

We brought all the plants in Sunday and they are all back out again.
Saturday we will release the Hounds... all the plants are going out.
Tropicals included.
We have plenty of room in the Gazebo if we get anymore cold spells.
And we need to get started on finishing the Plantroom.

BBL
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2008

Post #4824507

Rain, rain, rain here in our niche of the midwest. Everything is turning green as a ghord and my apricot trees are blooming!! Beautiful time of year in Missouri. Morel mushrooms will be popping up soon with some warmer temps.
Cuckoo
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008

Post #4824606

Read cuckoo's post for my weather. LOL.

Cuckoo, my dad will be jealous when I tell him you have apricot trees. He loves apricots. lol
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #4824660

Can you believe 82 degrees today? I can't. Spent the cooler morning spraying Crab and Quack grass with Fusilade II. Supposed to be guaranteed to eliminate them as an overhead spray without affecting daylilies.

I have to plant out parsley plants tomorrow - the moon says so.

Then the fun begins with filling the wheelbarrow with potting soil, composted manure and peat moss to fill my pots for whatever I find to put in them this summer. I like to do it now, then my trips to the greenhouse have a pot waiting on them when I return. I know how much I plan not to buy, and how much I always come home with something. LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #4824661

Updated: 5:51 PM PDT on April 17, 2008
80 F / 27 C
Clear
Humidity: 13%
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the NW

The hills are starting to turn brown.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #4824677

Parry's phacelia (Yes, Marsue, we have a lot of flowers that you don't have back east, and you have a lot of kinds that I don't. There might not be anything that is native to both my area and your area.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #4824681

twining snapdragon - these flowers are tiny

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #4824691

And you are very talented at finding them Kelli.
;)
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #4824806

Yes, Kelli, you give us a photographer's view of plants we may never see in their native environment. Love your pictures!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2008
5:21 AM

Post #4825715

Love the storms shots from Romania! Thanks for sharing, Adina!

I might have to get some twining snaps. They look perfect.

Don't know how the pic will turn out. I've got my fingers crossed. (Nope, didn't work out.)

This message was edited Apr 17, 2008 11:22 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2008
9:56 AM

Post #4825966

Celia Thats snow? WOW! Great pictures!
Marylyn Looks like a Hickory to me too.
Marsue The city comes through about 2-3 months to trim trees and vines. Theyll be around more often during hurricane season. Thats an awesome view from the living room! Just beautiful! Im at a whopping 20 elevation! LOL!
Adina Thats quite a storm you had! Good thing you got home before it let loose. Those clouds WOW! Pretty blooms!
Se_eds So you get crab grass too? I cant get rid of it or dollar weed. I use my wheelbarrow in the same manner! Dump all my soil, etc.. in mix it up and start potting!
Kelli Your green season doesnt last very long. : (

50.7 F / 10 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 44 F / 7 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly sunny. High 76. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

My latest beauty

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #4826478

Good Morning! It's a sunny 43 & I plan on doing pretty much nothing today. We had a high of 80 yesterday and we had a hefty frost Monday, but everything was spared! :D

I'm still trying to wake up...it's been a hard 3 weeks, but my practicum is finished! I learned a lot about mussels, healthy creeks & rivers. And I have taken one of my finals & got an A! :D Now I just have 3 more classes to finish and will graduate on May 9th. I have 4 applications (all with the state of WV) to fill out, so I'll need to tweek my resume. I think maybe I need a break (at least 2 weeks) after this is all said & done...what do ya think?

I have missed so much here...hope to get caught up this week end. Ugh, I need another cup of coffee! What would I do without that stuff!?

At Dublin...
Clear: 55F
Feels like: 55F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 43
Humidity: 62%
Sunrise: 6:43 AM
Sunset: 8:01 PM

Today's trivia...
About how much would a 1km x 1km x 1km cloud weigh?
a)150,000 lbs
b)1.5 million lbs
c)150 million lbs
d)1.5 billion lbs

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4826714

does it depend on how many gallons of water it si going to produce? i.e. what type of cloud? OK, just being tchnical B soundl ike a nice guess...

lvoing everyone's pics! baby is well, i am not. but life goes on ;-)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2008

Post #4827357

Coffee is the liquid of the Gods! I'm guessing A.

Good job on the "A", Joey!!! And good luck with the other classes. It sounds like you'll do just fine.

My last pic didn't work out like I wanted it to because just under the "an" in my name, is the moon.

Tamara, you need to get better!!!

Clear53F
Feels like: 53F with 70 predicted.

Barometer: 30 in ↓
Dewpoint: 24
Humidity: 32%
Wind: 18 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:42 AM
Sunset: 8:11 PM
UV Index: 3 Moderate

Rain tomorrow but still a high of 74. And I might get to enjoy some of it as I get off work at 5pm.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #4827428

Joey Enjoy some time off, you've earned it! Congratulations on graduating! WOOOHOOO!
Oh my, going back to school. Lets see, clouds are made up of dry air and water vapor. I think you would have to calculate dry and moist density and pressure then ummmm mass. Wow where is Dyson? scratching headpulling out the old calculator LOL! Ummmm, coming up with 2 some-odd billion pounds. Hmmm scratching head, could be wrong.

TF - hope you feel better soon. : (
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #4827547

me 2. gonna pretend to be well the next few days so i can catch up on things. been dosing up on vitc and slippery elm... and i spoke too soon, baby woke up gassy witha bad diaper rash!

i have a bunch of garden pics on CD that i hope to have up soon to share with you all. meanwhile, looks like its time to change my desktop again, so many to choose from...

the weather here is deceiving, so sunny, but a cold breeze, not too good on the lungs...

sharon, i was trying to fiugre out how many gallons of water [at 8 lbs per gallon] the cloud could produce. if it is 1 KM high, it is surely a good little cumulonimbus, right?

sniff, sniff, cough, cough,
tf
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #4827607

Just to clarify things, that was not my house I posted above although I would really LOVE to live there and have that view every day. We were visiting there.
Se-eds: 82 in PA this time of year? Amazing!!
Ric: you have certainly been busy. What is that flower in your photo?
Based on Sharon's calculations, I'm guessing "D" for the trivia. LOL Thanks, Sharon, you saved me having to figure that out for myself(as if I could!)--math was never my strong point. Hated geometry!! Did fairly well with algebra but really didn't like any of it. Give me a sentence to diagram any time. (Do they still do that in English classes?) Loved phonetics in speech class, too.
Joey: congrats on the "A". You do deserve a break--maybe some time on the beach at Sharon's--LOL?
Yes, Kelli, you are very talented at finding all those interesting flowers we would never get to see otherwise. Thank you! :o))
TF: sure hope you feel better soon. Being sick is no fun, especially when you have kids to tend to.
Marylyn: have you solved the mystery of the tree, yet? I'm still voting for hickory.
Adina: very threatening storm clouds--they look that way here, too. The pelargonium is another flower I have not seen before. I'm really learning a lot here on DG!! :o))
Sharon: gorgeous amaryllis!! I have one that has a bud on it. I can hardly wait for it to bloom. I always thought they were indoor plants and didn't know until last autumn that they would survive our winters. DH's aunt had a bunch in her yard that she was happy to share with us. I think I have at least seven of them planted outside.
Celia: pretty yellow tulip-- too bad the other photo didn't turn out so we could see it.
Rain, rain, rain, here. Not a downpour, but slow and steady since early this morning. It has stopped momentarily but still completely overcast. Current temp is 52 heading for a high of 62. We don't need the rain. The White River is supposed to crest at above flood stage today. Many people have lost their homes due to the flooding here in our state. :o((
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #4828148

We Had an Earthquake!
Well not we ...but 260 miles away.
It woke me and the Dog up at about 5:30 this morning.
Tremors for about 15 seconds or so.

Temp here is 78 and it's blindingly Sunny.

Sue that's a Mayapple.

Ric
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #4828233

now THAT is news! what a way to wake up, coffee please!!!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #4828349

Marsue, it looks like a hickory tree to me, too, as I compare my photo to the ones in PlantFiles. I didn't ask in the Texas forum since you all seemed to recognize it. :-) I did find the ants in BugFiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/1840/ Pesky little things! They weren't causing any trouble at the camp, of course.. most of the camp was forest anyway, so they had plenty of diet choices. I can see them being very unwelcome in someone's yard, though.

It's a gorgeous gorgeous day here. This has been an amazingly mild spring! It is usually already in the upper 80s and humid by now. Instead, it's 72 and the humidity is only at 43%. I think Houston moved north for the spring! LOL

I heard about the earthquake, Ric. Yikes! I knew about the New Madrid fault line, but I don't remember ever hearing about it causing any trouble before. I'm glad no one was hurt!

I have no idea about the trivia question, Joey. Everyone else is picking heavy, so I'm going to go light, just to be contrary. LOL A

And congratulations on your almost-graduation!!! I think that's wonderful! :-) :-) :-)

Please get better soon, Tamara!

Kelli, your pictures are stunning, as usual. :-) Are your Dodgers doing any better than my Astros? We stink. :-P

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 18, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #4828462

Sharon, we'll be driving our car between Balotesti and Bucharest , at work, about half an hour drive. Beautiful lily!
Marsue, yes , I planted a few forsythia in the garden of the block we're living in.
Joey, congratulations for the graduation, I had no idea you were in school.
Ric, thanks ! Yes, we have a fence now in the back and left-right sides. The front will have a different one. Sorry for the earthquake, I heard they felt it in in KY too.
Marsue, I have 3 different kinds of pelargonium, also different colors. Love those mountains !
Kelli, great pics. Love the twinned snapdragon, very interesting, never heard or seen before!
Eve, thanks!
Tamara, I hope the baby and you are better today.
They were working on the outside walls today.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 18, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #4828522

We have doors .

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 18, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #4828528

Pink pelargonium.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #4828535

Thanks, guys, I'm glad you like the pictures.

The first earthquake that I ever felt was one that was centered in Ohio. I think it was towards Cleveland.

Marylyn, I wouldn't say the Dodgers stink exactly, but they are below .500. They are inconsistant. Some days they'll score 10 runs and some days they scratch and claw to get one. The Angels are a little better. At least they're above .500. I'm glad I have two local teams. If one is bad, maybe the other won't be.

Sharon, that's right. The green season doesn't last very long, especially when you don't have rain.

Geometry - Let's see... If two parallel lines are cut by a transversal, alternate interior angles are congruent. Why do I remember that? What useful piece of information has been crowded out by it?

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on April 18, 2008
83 F / 28 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 11%
Dew Point: 23 F / -5 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the South

claret cup cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #4828679

Quoting:Geometry - Let's see... If two parallel lines are cut by a transversal, alternate interior angles are congruent. Why do I remember that? What useful piece of information has been crowded out by it?

Hey! I even knew what that meant! Now where did I put my glasses...?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #4828698

You never thought you'd be nerding out at Dave's, did you? ;-)
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #4828996

LOL I'm pretty nerdy wherever I go. ;-)
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4829216

Another mid-summer day - temps in the low eighties. Our weather is amazing - but I remember frosts in May, after the 15th. LOL

The cure for crabgrass/quackgrass ( two different plants) is Fusilade II. Some places sell it as "Grass be Gone". Read the literature that comes with the chemical to learn which ornamentals can take it, as an overhead spray. Since I grow mostly daylilies it is excellent. I sprayed Wednesday and most of what I hit is dead. Do not use it on food plants. And follow protective instructions. I am an old lady, but still follow the protective clothing, gloves, long pants and socks routine.

Sometimes I think it is silly, especially when it is hot, but I do it anyway.
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #4829351

Some felt an earthquake this a.m. in N.W. Missouri!!! Guess it occurred in Illinois and was felt in several places. Rain today but gorgeous weekend weather moving in tonight.

Cuckoo
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #4829381

Adina: the house is really going to be pretty once they finish the that last coat of stucco! That pelargonium is beautiful!
Ric: So that's what a Mayapple looks like. :o)) I heard about your earthquke, too. However, one of our local news stations interviewed a professor at Univ. of Ark. at Little Rock (UALR) about it. He said it wasn't the New Madrid fault but another fault which was, however, connected to the New Madrid fault.
Marylyn, there was a MAJOR earthquake along the New Madrid fault back in the early 1800's. Fortunately, the area affected was not heavily populated (hardly populated at all) at that time. Therefore, there was no damage, or very little, done to humans or towns. HOWEVER, the "experts" are saying that there could be a major earthquake along the New Madrid fault at any time. Stay tuned. . .
Kelli: anytime you and Marylyn and Sharon want to start speaking English again and cut it out with the "arithmetic-eese" will be fine with me! LOL Love that cactus blossom, but not the spines!
se_eds: always better to be safe than sorry.

The rain stopped and the sun came out this afternoon late. It was a forerunner of what we will be having tomorrow: 74 and lots of sunshine and up to 80 on Sunday!!
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2008
1:27 AM

Post #4829466

I have heard that an earthquake on the New Madrid Fault Line occurring I think in the early 1800's was so strong that it caused the Mississippi River to flow backwards for a short time!! Wow ...what kind of power is that!
Cuckoo
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #4829675

It not only cause the Mississippi to flow backwards it had bells ringing as far east as Virginia if I remember correctly. Far eastern US for sure.

The quake this morning was also felt in Kansas. I heard that this morning on the news. I was dead to the world when it happened so I never felt it.

Today, wet and cold. It misted off and on all day and the temps never left the low 40s. We are so wet now that we sink in the ground and there is standing water in places.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #4830228

That quake was one of two in 1811.
The first 7.2 the second was probably an 8.
The center was New Madrid, MO... Chimneys feel here in Cincinnati.
It was said to be felt in Boston.
The odds of an 8 happening again here are actually better than one of that size in CA.
And NOTHING is E-quake proof here...

Adina KY is actually only 2 miles from me.
We can hear the tugboats all the time.

57 and rain is moving in...

Ric

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #4831212

52 and bright sunshine, no clouds, heading toward a high of 76. Everyone have a good Saturday. I'm heading outside! :o))
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #4831300

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/836027/

a thread about that Earthquake many of you felt...
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #4831482

Thanks TF :)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #4831518

Weve got company, so I have to be quick!

TF Im looking at it as if it were a 1km cumulus cloud; which would give a volume of 1 cubic km (km3). Air has a density of 1.007 kilograms/cubic meter (kg/m3), moist air comes in at 0.627 kg/m3, the density of the cloud droplets is about 0.0005 kg/m3. The density of the cloud is about 62% dry air. In final calculations, the 1 km3 cumulus cloud weighs 1.4 billion pounds 635 million kg. I added in the mass of the cloud and the mass of the air. That would make a fair weather cumulus cloud weigh over 2 billion pounds, or about 9 million pounds less than dry air of equal volume. Why do I remember this stuff? Maybe I don't, like I said I could be doing this all wrong.

Joey - What's the answer?!! LOL!

Ric We heard about your earthquake. How scary is that? I was hoping you wouldnt be affected by it. Was there any damage in your area?
Adina Pretty pelargoniums! I love all the awnings on the house, the roof is gorgeous!
Kelli I got a good chuckle from your geometry statement! DH always calls us (DGers) Garden Nerds. Im proud to be called a Garden Nerd!
Se_eds LOL! I always read the directionsDH is the one that jumps in with both feet then whines when things dont turn out as they should!

77.0 F / 25.0 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 47 F / 8 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the SW
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 78 F / 26 C
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6000 ft / 1828 m
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Through 1230 PM...isolated showers ahead of a cold frontal system will move over northeast Florida. The heaviest showers will move into areas near Jennings...Dowling Park and Taylor. The showers are moving northeast to east at 20 miles an hour. Rainfall amounts will vary from a trace to a few hundredths of an inch.

This Afternoon
Partly cloudy and breezy with a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 79. South winds 15 mph.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2008 11:51 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4831531

Sharon, my thoughts exactly!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #4831702

Sharon, If this was quick, you are a speed typist LOL Love how informative y'all are. :)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #4832258

The E-Quake actually was just a minor deal here.
But we are 260 miles away.
As I said most people didn't even feel it here.

We held off going to the Flower Show because of the weather.
Well yes it did rain but only over night and up till about 10 AM.
Then sunny and warm.
So we've been working in the yard and hauling plants out.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #4832953

Marsue LOL! I loved math and science in school and did really well in them. I am clueless in how the calculations came back to me. Felt like I was back in school for a little while. Of course, it has been 30 years (OMG) since I was in school so I could be twisting things up!Thank you for your confidence in my numbers! LOL!
Marylyn The picture look like Hickory, we have them here (dont ever park under themhickory nuts falling on your car is a very bad thing). I could be wrong in that area too! LOL!
Kelli I love the cactus bloom, its so brilliant! And I feel the same way about the weight of a cloud as you do about your transversal, alternate interior angles are congruent statement! LOL!
Se_eds I feel aging is gracefully accepting the length of our lives and acknowledging the challenges, happiness and wisdom we have acquired in those years. The thought of injecting anything into my face to hide a wrinkle makes me shudder (no offense to those of you who do this). I embrace my aging even though I am notorious for saying I am sliding into 50 kicking and screaming! I dont mean that as a derogatory statement for aging. I say it because I have to work out every day, I have to conquer my hypothyroidism everyday, live my life as happily as I can everyday, and I live for God everyday, that alone makes lifes challenges so much easier.
Pepper Feel free to send some of that rain this way!
TF LOL! Hope Joey posts an answer soon!
Ric So glad there wasnt any damage in your area. Pretty narcissus!

Weve had some really dark clouds and some sprinkles, but still no rain. I am watering the lawn now.

71.4 F / 21.9 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 53 F / 12 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13.4 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3500 ft / 1066 m
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of evening showers. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 56. Southwest winds 5 mph.

Just bought this lovely today ... Diplandia

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #4833220

Quoting: live my life as happily as I can everyday, and I live for God everyday, that alone makes lifes challenges so much easier.

Amen to that Sharon!
That Diplandia has such bright flowers!

I worked outside for several hours today. I sprayed weeds with Round Up but it got pretty windy so I had to stop spraying. I also spread several bags of soil/humus/manure across the top of my lasagna bed along the back fence. I planted two Bee Balm plants which another DGer had given me last Dec. I overwintered them in pots which I had "hilled up" with leaves, manure, and mulch. I separated a gallon pot of Katie Blue Dwarf Ruellia into 3 plants and planted those. I have two more gallon pots of the same thing which I will have to separate, too. I still have lots to do in the lasagna bed but it is starting to look like a flower bed now. I have lots of seeds to sow. I am making this bed for the Hummingbirds and Butterflies.
I have a pink wave petunia that is blooming. It is a leftover from last year and it is unusual for petunias to survive from one season to the next. I have 3 or 4 "waves" that made it through this winter. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow.
I think we must have reached a higher temp. than the forecast 76 because it is 74 right now. Tomorrow's high temp is forecast to be 80. If today is any indication, it will get hotter than that. The good thing is that the humidity was low so it was not uncomfortable to be outside, except for the wind, but that wasn't too bad, either.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008

Post #4833350

Hi all!
I hope everyone is having weather as nice as ours today!
Marsue: I spent most of the day out there doing spring stuff.

Topped out around 80 today, but a bit windy.

Daisies seemed happy in the sun.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #4833507

marsue, if you want to use Roundup and it is windy, try this: I duct tape ( can't live without it) a lightweight bamboo stake to a 3 pound Folgers plastic coffee can with the bottom removed. That way you can spray down into the coffee can and hit whatever weed you want to eliminate without causing damage to plant foliage.

My Sharona, I am only old in years and physical stamina. I still say they're gonna find me face down in a daylily bed some day. If I am lucky. No Man shall know the number of his days - and I guess no woman either.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4833651

Mostly Cloudy69F
Feels like: 69F

Barometer: 29.3 in ↑
Dewpoint: 10
Humidity: 9%
Wind: 28 mph SSW
Sunrise: 6:41 AM
Sunset: 8:12 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #4834823

46 and heading for 74 and Sunny.
We'll be leaving for the Flower Show here in a bit.

On the Roundup... you can also put it on a rag, paint brush or Q-Tip.
(wearing rubber gloves of course)
And just wipe the plant.
It's a surfacide so will only kill what it touches.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #4835162

Good Morning! :D I see that you all have really been mulling over the trivia question! OK I've let you all go on long enough! But I couldn't help myself. I was gonna get back to you all yesterday, but DH took me to Lowe's ( the garden center!), so you can only guess what I have been doing! :D

The answer to the trivia is...D
How much does a cloud weigh? That depends on the size and type of cloud, but a 1 km x 1km x 1km (0.6 miles x 0.6 miles x0.6 miles) cumulus cloud weighs about 1.4 billion lbs.

We have had some great rain since yesterday! and it's still coming down slowly. We have had over 1/2". The flowers are lovin' it! :D
At Dublin...
Sprinkles: 46F
Feels like: 46F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 46
Humidity: 100%
Sunrise: 6:40 AM
Sunset: 8:03 PM

I think that I missed a couple of birthdays! Happy Birthday!!! To Sally & Pepper! I hate that I missed them!
Thanks everybody, on the "congrats" It's been a tough 3 years & with going in the summer, too...I feel rather "burned out" at this point.
Marsue, LOL I think the beach would be a real good place to go. I also think that Alaska would be a good place to go! :D
Ric, I heard about the earthquake & was thinking of you! Glad that you are OK. Hope Wu wasn't scared too badly! We had a small tremor here when I was in the 11th grade and that was scarey enough!
Kelli, I absolutely love your hikes! But I've gotta tell ya... the pic of Anacapa Island looks like it could be in Hawaii! :D
Sharon, I agree with you about aging...& I think that you're only as old as you feel & act. I also think that every day that is added to (or given to you) your life is a real blessing. And I count those blessings! :D This new education that I have been given is going to take me in a new direction & I embrace it!

Now Where is that Dyson! ? He has been MIA tooooo long!

I have another trivia question for you all...and this one won't keep you guessing.
Q.What is La Nina in weather terms?
a) A weather pattern caused by volcanic ash
b) A weather pattern caused by the ocean cooling
c) A weather pattern caused by jet contrails
d) A weather pattern caused by the polar ice caps melting

Well I goota go (for now)
Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008

Post #4836027

Joey: I didn't have a clue on the previous trivia, but on this one today, I'm going with B-ocean cooling.

Sunny and 79 now and we had about an inch of rain over night! Perfect.

Heading out for some weeding. Whoopee!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #4836031

Warm - sunny - nice - rain called for till wed.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #4836058

Dyson! Good to "see" you! Sounds like great weather. :)
Deb
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #4836121

deb, you just solved my indecisiveness... hope you don't mind your pic on my background!

hi dyson!

Joey, hang in there. try not to stress, the last summer before graduation call kill you! like Deb, i am going with B for my answer... nice ivy coming out there too!

tf
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #4836212

I love you all - yes that is a southern expression - and wish the best for all.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #4836364

TF: I'm honored you'd place my pic on your background! :)
Dyson: We missed you.
Deb

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 20, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #4836931

Hi! Great pics everyone! Thanks for the appreciation on my house. It's almost done, except for the sinks, toilets, stove and, of course, the color on the outside. They just finished doing the outside walls and tomorrow will paint it, I can't wait!
This is how the house looks like now.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 20, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #4836987

This is the oposite side, the back .

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 20, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #4836996

The grass from the field next to our house.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 20, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #4837008

We have dandelions too.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 20, 2008
9:11 PM

Post #4837034

Here's a fluffy one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

April 20, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #4837064

Beautiful wild flowers are blooming too.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #4837083

looking great adina!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #4837356

Yes, Dyson, you have been missed! Welcome back!
Thanks, Ric and se-eds for the tips on using Round-Up. I'll have to give those a try next time I want to use it on a windy day.
Adina: did you know that parts of the dandelion are edible? The greens, I think it is.
Joey: I'm going with B for the trivia, too. ---and who knew that clouds were so heavy? LOL
Deb: another gorgeous photo. I love daisies! I'm saving your pic for background, too. Right now I have Sharon's great photo at the top of this thread as background.

It has been another picture perfect day here in our neighborhood. Currently 74. Lots of sunshine, blue sky, no clouds, birds singing, Purple Martins chattering to one another(we have 3 pair in our birdhouse), roses full of buds, tulips and daffs and petunias blooming, soft breeze blowing--what more can I say? DH and I enjoyed some time in the porch swing this afternoon. Actually, DH took a nap in the porch swing and I sat in a lawn chair--LOL.
The sun was so bright that it sort of "washed out" the photos I took but here is one of the flower bed alongside our driveway.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #4837364

and here is one more of the flower bed beside the front porch. That's DH in the chair.

edited to add: whoops--forgot the picture--see below. LOL

This message was edited Apr 20, 2008 5:37 PM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #4837375

here ya go!

Thumbnail by marsue

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #4837440

The weather here over the past week has been wonderful. This weekend was supposed to be rainy but it has stayed dry and I've been able to get a lot done outside. The forecast over the next week looks good too.

Adinamiti...looking good. After living in an apartment your whole life a house will seem like a huge change.

Marsue...looks like things are perking right along there.

News Flash! I now have daffodils! Spring has arrived!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #4837447

LOL, EB! It's official--and what pretty daffs they are!!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #4837474

Marsue I cant wait to see the picture of your garden. Its going to be so pretty in bloom. Glad you like that picture. I left my camera at home this morning so of course I missed a great picture of pelicans flying in pattern over the water.
Deb Great picture of the daisies!
Se_eds Ill have to try your method with the roundup! Im always amazed at how much work you do in your garden in one day. Id be wiped out!
Ric What is that?
Joey Come on down and enjoy the beach for a while! I cant believe Im right on the last triviamy brain hurts! So glad this is an easy questionB. Pretty vine!
Dyson! Weve missed you! Hope all is well and youve just been busy. How are the dang hillbilly cats doing? What about your dog?
Adina Not much longer now and youll be moved in! How exciting and the house looks great!
E_B Finally Spring! LOL! Beautiful Daffs!

75.7 F / 24.3 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 47 F / 8 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 6.9 mph / 11.1 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 F / 25 C
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 7000 ft / 2133 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

It was a gorgeous day here. I got a lot of re-potting and some clean up taken care of. Goldalia Orange Dahlia

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #4837705

One of the reasons Isaboo's nickname is "badness"

Thumbnail by MySharona

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008

Post #4837905

EB- your daffs are beautiful. Your must be closer to Zone 5 that I am. Mine have been out for a week or two.

We had 4 days of temps in the upper 80's and low 90's.
I was out digging plants to be shipped tomorrow and the rains started. So far we have had over 1" of rain. Needed it as no rain for the past two weeks.

Temps currently in the 50's. We have unhooked the heating cable from the water pipes and turned down the furnace. Can you believe fuel oil at over $4.00 a gallon? The lack of furnace running and heating tapes will cut 30.00 from the elec bill next month.

We live frugally - like we did when we were just starting out. Works for us.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #4838801

Flowers, flowers, flowers!!! Gorgeous, everyone!

Look at the size of that tail on Isaboo! LOL

37F and got to 53
Feels like: 28F

Barometer: 30 in ↑
Dewpoint: 18
Humidity: 41%
Wind: 18 mph NNW
Sunrise: 6:40 AM
Sunset: 8:13 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #4838863

Se_eds I see much joy in each post I read from you and I appreciate every thing, trick, or knowledge that I've gleaned from you over the last few years.
You almost make me wish I lived a tad further north.
I know I've not been frugal this week.
Now I have to plant it all.
I must hop into bed as whether FA likes it or not I have to be in the garden early in the morning. So much to do, so little back.
Hope the weather will be just right.
Joey I am so proud to know an awesome Fisher Woman like you.
West Virginia is very lucky to have you.
Marsue planning a garden is so much fun. I have a clean or sparse slate this year and am so glad I was able to make a little extra to re-plant.
Ric I reckon it was about this time I met you and SO.
Tell her I said howdy.
The Cincinnati Flower Show is great.
Adina, Next spring you will be taking pictures from the inside out.
It's coming right along.
E_B,
Flowering Quince, Pecans leafing, and Daffodils, all are our true signals of Spring.
Dyson, it's nice to see you again good buddy!
Hope life is being kind to you.
Deb, my new Hostas were grown in your area.
;)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #4839865

Celia - Your willlow is so pretty, mine is very sparse right now, but it's never looked like your does. Boo is a fur ball. She weighs about 7lbs, but has 30lbs of cattitude!

61.0 F / 16.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 46 F / 8 C
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 8000 ft / 2438 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Considerable high clouds in the morning...then partly cloudy. High 79. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #4839877

46 and FOGGY... going to 70...
I have to leave early so no time but here's some CFShow shots...more later

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157604641460360/

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2008
11:30 AM

Post #4839988

Good Morning, it's a balmy 49 w/ fog. I hope we get into the 70's like Ric! :D
BTW Ric, Loved the slide show! :D I really like the painted windows, fish bones (were they wood or were they real? LOL) and the floral arrangements! Great!
The weather girl says we are only supposed to get into the low 60's, & that's in Bluefield so maybe we will get into the upper 60's! :D
Thanks Sidney, for those words of encouragement! I am Fish Woman here me Flop! LOL!! I'm glad that you get time off to work in your flowers...sounds as if you went shopping yesterday! Did you buy anything special? :) How is your back?
Sharon, Boo is a beauty. She's very fluffy, but 7 lbs. seems really small. Maybe not, cuz she's a she. My black tom (Albert) weighed 16 lbs. She poses really nicely. :D And the beach sounds really good about now...I told DH the name of the beach, he's ready too! :D
KW, Is that a weeping cherry? It is so pretty!
Se_eds, sounds like it's been rather warm up there...too warm for this time of year! :-O I hope that we don't get as hot this year as we did last year! I was plum miserable!
E_B, Glad that your Daff's are finally up! I know you've been droolin' over Deb's flowers! :D Now we can drool over yours! :D
Marsue, Your yard is looking really good!
Adina! Yeah! You'll be in your house before you know it! :D It's really shaping up fast! And looking Great! :D I can "feel" your excitement! :D
Deb! Let's see somemore of those flowers! Great! Did you get your weeding done? Every time I try to do that I somehow manage to get company...I have been known to get a few of them to help. Actually that is a rare thing...just depends on who it is.
Dyson! Glad to have you back! Please try not to stay away too long! Even if it's just to say it's Dyson Dark! :D How is the hip?

The answer to the trivia is...B
La Nina is weather pattern due to the cooling of the ocean in the South Pacific.

Today's trivia is...
Q.How much does the earth's atmosphere weigh?
a) 5 million tons
b) 5 billion tons
c) 5 trillion tons
d) 5 million billion tons

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #4840378

Here's a link about the earthquake last Friday for anyone who's intereted:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080418/sc_livescience/scientistsevenbiggerquakecouldhitmidwest
Sharon: Boo's just letting you know who is boss! LOL Beautiful Dahlia!
Celia : love the weeping cherry.
Ric: Gorgeous tulip magnolia, too! I'll check out the link to the flower show a little later.
Sidney: enjoy your time in the garden today. I plan to be out in mine in a few minutes.
Joey: I'll have to wait for the math geniuses around here to answer the trivia question for me. If clouds are heavy just think what the entire atmosphere of the earth weighs!! LOL

We are currently at 58 heading for a high of 80. Speaking of clouds, here is what our clouds looked like this morning.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #4840379

and here is a collage of my favorite tulip:

Everyone have a great day!!

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #4840944

Lovely tulip, and I like your reddish mulch, too.

Chilly this morning but it will warm up.

Updated: 7:51 AM PDT on April 21, 2008
49 F / 9 C
Clear
Windchill: 48 F / 9 C
Humidity: 69%

Rann, I have a postage stamp from Iceland that has a view on it that looks so much like this picture of Anacapa that I had to do some research on that place in Iceland. It is called Dyrholaey. The Google images do not look as much like Anacapa as that stamp did, but there is still some resemblance.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #4840947

Here is an enlargement of the middle of that photo for all you fans of pelicans.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #4840979

Oh, oh, oh!!! Oceans pics! I gotta be on a beach somewhere soon!

Mau, your favorite tulip is now MY favorite tulip. That is just too pretty for words.

The magnolia is pretty, too. I keep thinking I will get a variety of one.

The slideshow was fun!

The little is tree is weeping cherry.

38F and will get to 53, progressing to mid-sixties tomorrow.
Feels like: 34F

Barometer: 30 in ↑
Dewpoint: 6
Humidity: 23%
Wind: 5 mph N
Sunrise: 6:38 AM
Sunset: 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #4842757

Wow, what beautiful photos
I read somewhere today that the mid-West earthquake generated another aftershock this AM. Sure hope it is done acting up.

Ground is nice and springy after that 1-1/2" of rain this weekend. Cloudy and temps in the low 60's today and windy. The parsley that I planted this weekend looks like it doubled in size.

Sidney, "so little back" - LOL bet you're having a ball adding life to that blank slate you are planting in!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #4843118

Yes Se_eds I am!
New Thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/837557/
Sidney

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America