-
AuthorContent
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #4791439

Built a new garden shed/sort of greenhouse. Completed last fall. Need some ideas.
What do you wish you would of done in your garden shed/greenhouse?
What did you do that has worked and/or didn't work?
Have you seen ideas you think would be nice additions? ex: I saw where someone took metal trash cans, built a frame so the trash can was titled out and filled with potting soil under the potting table.

This building has a concrete floor, window on se corner, south corner, glass french doors, other south corner, sw corner, floor drain.
Concrete porch with a concrete ramp leading up so it is easy to roll plants in and out.
Small furnace on the north wall. I have lots of cabinets I could install.
Large old cast iron sink.
3 large stainless steel baker racks from costco.

Will use this building for storage, potting, seed starting, overwintering plants in pots(large ee's & tropicals), hanging baskets.

Thanks for your help.
Joyce
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #4799577

Sorry nobody's answered you yet--you might want to consider posting in the Greenhouse forum instead, you said it's sort of a greenhouse and there's a lot more traffic in that forum. The reason this forum is called Garden Shed is that it's about discussing all the tools, etc that you would put in a garden shed, not necessarily the sheds themselves, although those sometimes get discussed too. But since you're using yours in a way that many people use greenhouses you may find more over there.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #4804417

Thank you.
cocoajuno
Buckeye, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #4817771

Hi, I have an unheated greenhouse with a potting bench...Put in as much shelving as you can...the kind you can put pots on in the winter! I continue to add shelves in any nook and cranny I can to winter over plants and to start new ones in the spring. Also hang your tools where you can't put shelves.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #4819807

Thank you cocoa, a friend suggest I make my counters moduler. I can roll them around and change things according to what is going on.

What are your shelves made out of? I have thought of wire or cedar.
cocoajuno
Buckeye, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #4820363

Hi Happ,
My newest are metal wire shelves, I bought one of those portable shelf greenhouses and took the plastic off and put it in the greenhouse. I will also buy some of those stainless steel shelves for next fall, I just need to do some measuring and find the right ones. I also have some originals made out of wood. For wood there is a paint you can buy for wood especially for use in the greenhouse...it stinks when you are using it but it sure makes the wood last forever in the wet humid greenhouse. Your wood does not have to be cedar as long as you treat it with the paint.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #4822419

Thank you cocoajuno.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #4838543

I have all kinds of hooks on the above rafters. I hang baskets and things where they are easy to find. I keep plant labels , gloves and a few tools in one so I can just grab and run.
I do use small garbage cans to hold soil and bird seed, keeps the mice out.
My favorite thing is one of those Grey carts like they use to sort mail ,with wheels. It is water proof and can move large bunches of plants in and out. I also use it as a portable potting bench.
cocoajuno
Buckeye, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #4838616

So sorry Happ, I don't know if it was in the news, but we have had snow, sleet and hail. It started Friday and has not let up enough for me to go outside to take pictures. I have not been out to the greenhouse, my fingers are crossed that everything that was growing in there will still be doing so and not be too damaged. Our high today was 39 degrees...brrrrr, we went back to winter here! When I make it outside and over to the other yard I will take a picture and post it for you.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2008
12:12 PM

Post #4870638

Has your winter weather ended yet? I heard Minnesota got 1-1/2 feet of snow yesterday. Ugh! I'd like to see a picture of your shed. We need an outbuilding for our new garden tractor. DH is so proud of his John Deere, that the truck now has to live outside. No fair. I'd like something we could use as a combination storage/potting shed. I've seen some beautiful garden buildings, but the prices are like building a small house, and then there's the prep and possibly the building/installation if it's too complex for DH and I to handle. I'd love to see your shed.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5221640

Do you have electricity? I love to listen to classical music while potting, working in the garden. Makes me think of days (centuries!) gone by.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5229287

Connie, I'm a real classical music listener myself. If I had a shed, I could take my lap top out and pot away to the classics whether or not there was electric. If I had a shed, that is...sigh.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5230212

I got electric for my birthday!! yeah...so I will have lights and music.
Still need to figure out water. Waterhouse in the dead of winter is not good...LOL
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #5230263

Yea! I'm the same way...I like what I WANT for my b'day instead of yet another bottle of expensive perfume~ ! :-)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5231092

People at work think I am crazy. I have gotten mulch delivered, concrete, wire for electric, just as long as it is for me and the garden room or the garden, I am thrilled.

I have now figured out when my parents use to say "Oh, Honey please don't spend your money on us, we don't need anything". Cause they truely didn't need any more "stuff".
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5232637

So true! Sometimes I want a "designer handbag" or something girlie, but most of the time it's something I can't afford on my own for my gardens or the house.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5233297

Or something we won't spend the money on ourselves.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5248924

Okay...here is the potting area (not really a shed!) as built yesterday and painted/stained today. I painted the fence part to match the siding on the house and stained the other side a bronze color. The UNDERSIDES of all shelves will be painted a robin's egg blue. Will do that next week or tomorrow morning if I don't make it to church.

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5248946

And here is the other side, that the neighbors from above see. I think I'll put 2 long planters along the top shelf and plant stuff in them.

I need to plant another bush against the fence. The bed will continue around the column to the other side.

Crushed granite will be on the ground on the other side and on the path leading to the front yard.

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5249103

Oops...thought I was posting this to MY garden potting area thread! I'll ask the admins if they can transfer it! So sorry!...Connie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5252919

Conne, no problem, it is really nice. Glad to see it.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2008
4:28 AM

Post #5255540

Happ...the admins said they can't switch entries to another thread...they only delete. I then told them to either delete or leave, but I would "double-post" to my thread if they didn't delete...it's their choice.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5258479

Connie - Nice potting bench. I especially like how it looks like a fence on the other side and all the shelves.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #5262391

Thanks! I loaded it yesterday with pots. I"m so excited!
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #5274347

Oooh, thanks for the idea, Connie. I like it.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 14, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9082578

Whatever you do, strap that puppy down FIRST. I'll never forget the aftereffects of a big storm, on my father's newly purchased metal shed. It was set on a concrete pad, and tethered, but not nearly well enough. We eventually found it, way down the road...LOL! Best of luck to you!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9083491

Tell you with all the bad weather around here I am beginning to think unless it is underground it could be hopeless...rofl.
The potting shed is built on concrete slab like a house with footing and straps and stuff. So I am not worried about that. I have just been cramming things in it, so doing good, bad, and in an orderly fashion hasn't happened. I wanted it to be classy, but it is like me busy...rofl.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 13, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9332565

Finallly, after 3 years of saving money from plant sales, I purchased my Tuff shed from Home Depot. Had to settle for a 8 x 10 ft due to lack of room. in my back yard. Well built, it was built on site. 'Everything was precut and took the 2 workers only 4 hours to put it together. Had just enough time to paint to match my house before weather changed.

Come spring will have electricity and lights. Went to Home Depot and bought lumber that the employee cut to size for me to use as shelves in front of the windows. Inside is painted light green. will paint trim yellow along with my house which was recently painted. Have a great 10 ft work bench. Also a large peg board Will put in plastic bin for potting soil under the bench. Want a small fridge for storing seeds from my iris and daylily crosses. will have a flower border under the 2 windows.

It will be great to prepare plants inside the shed for shipping. Will hold all my tools. My old shed that came with the house is falling apart and is real small.

Below are 2 views of the shed. It would really make a cute playhouse. Almost tempted of putting up frilly curtains----nah!

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9333011

Looks cute. You might look into solar lights to see if that will work for you. Also there are solar power fans that are sized to specifically ventilate small buildings or garages.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9333876

blomma what a great gardening shed...you will have so much fun and if like me fill it up so quickly...rofl. Sounds pretty on the inside. Wish I would of painted mine, good thinking on your part. Nice windows they could have nice flower boxes outside...LOL just full of ideas. I was lucky enough to get to go to London and they have garden plots with small sheds and they were all decorated up with curtains and decorations on the outside and so darn cute.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 16, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #9335219

Susan, thanks for the tips. I will go with oldfashion electric. there are shutters for ventilation on both sides. I may put shades or shading material on the windows come summer to keep it cooler to work in.

Happy, I contemplated the window boxes but decided I didn't want to spend $55 for each one. After all, it is a garden shed. Curtains would look cute also but nixed that idea also. Painted and mounted shelves level with the 2 front windows. That is all I will do until spring. Maybe by then I will know where to put more shelves.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9341118

Blomma that is what I did just hung shelves but I am attaching a potting bench to one side and decorating the outside. I don't have any windows maybe one day. It gets really hot in there to say the least. The string and small stuff I hung on the door. Right there where I need it and not heavy enough to cause the door to sag. Thinking about getting one of those hanging shoe or jewelry things with pockets to store little stuff.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 24, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9341448

Happ,
I ordered a workbench 10ft long to use as a potting bench and to place a small fridge on to hold seeds. The hanging shoe thing is a great idea for small stuff. I may consider that also. I have one of those metal shelf stand in there from my old shed to hold pots.

I am using a large plastic storage bin placed under my potting bench to hold potting soil. Walmart sells them pretty cheap.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9341869

Sounds like we think alike rofl. The small fridge is a great idea. I cut a whole in my potting bench and put a furnance grate in the whole and the potting soil drops thru to a plastic bin below.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
9:53 PM

Post #9398756

Okay...another house...another time...another potting/gardening/lawn maintenance shed! I designed this one in an investment house I bought last summer. I converted the garage to a new master suite, so had to do a storage shed.
This picture is the beginning. I designed it and my brother built it.

I followed the angle of the roof of the house. The new shed roof is galvanized metal. MY BROTHER BOUGHT THE SHINY KIND. THERE'S WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY, to answer your question. When the sun hits it, it's blinding, but thank goodness it's not visible from the house. I'm trying different acid washes to dull it.

Thumbnail by Connie_G

back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9400823

I want to be under those trees.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9401045

rofl...I can see you shining in the sun...rofl. See that is something I wouldn't of thought of either...so many things. back40bean I am like you those trees are so beautiful!

I got a good start on my potting bench but not done yet. I have decided to enclose the bottom so the snakes will have some where to live...LOL, actually it is so windy at our house as long as it is 30 or below!!! that I am sick of picking up pots from the frozen north 40! Wish I would of though of it earlier because the bench is setting in place and weighs a ton...but I didn't. If I don't enclose the back it will fill up with creatures...ewww.. I have put the furnance grate in place and the big old cast iron sink which is why it weighs a TON...

The garden shed has shelves which are working great, I didn't make them deep because all those do is eat everything I want and I can't find anything. The problem I have is that I can not find a good way to hang heavy garden tools, like shovels, metal rakes and the likes of those things. Everything seems to be flimsy.

Please keep posting I wish I would have or I am so glad I did... they help everyone, if not now at least in the future.

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9471909

Can you post pics of the inside of your shed, please?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9472595

Connie if you are asking me I will as soon as things warm up here...rofl. Because right now we have stuck so much junk in there during the winter I can't even walk in it...rofl. When it is in the teens and snow is blowing in 20 mile an hours winds, sadly I just open the door and throw stuff in and then slam the door shut and run for the house... ;) I will be out this weekend and start getting ready for spring, we have had a slow start on it this year, we were in the 20's at night last week!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9706720

happ, did you ever get pics of your shed?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9707103

Rofl...no I completely forgot about it. I will try to get some pics of it this weekend. I haven't started cramming in too much yet...rofl
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9708229

Thanks...no huge hurry...just anxious to see!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9719721

Finally got a few pictures sorry they are fuzzy.
They are the metal racks that you get at Sams or Costco. Instead of building them up, I put a rack out front. Then because I needed a place to hang baskets, I bought metal tubing from Home Depot and two curves at the top and now I have hanging racks. The plants look horrible because I went out of town and didn't expect it to warm up so much and things got a little dry before taking these pictures. I really like the racks, worked out better than I had hoped.

Thumbnail by happgarden

homesweet
Los Angeles
United States

September 11, 2014
4:06 AM

Post #9937743

3 Outdoor Entertaining Lighting Ideas for garden
[HYPERLINK@www.youtube.com]

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America