Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Spacing within rows

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 12, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #4791670

I'm raising 28 sweet pepper seedlings, Gypsy, Bounty, and Carmen, and I'll probably give a few away so I'll plant about 20 in the garden.

I use a soaker-hose system, so I'd like to plant the peppers in four short rows on the south side of my tomatoes as an extension of the tomato rows. That puts the pepper rows 5 feet apart, just like the tomato rows. I know that's extra-wide rows for peppers, but it works out for the watering grid.

Since the rows are so far apart, and they run north-south for good sun, can I get away with putting the peppers only 18" apart within the rows - or is that too close?
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #4791875

Good question Oz. I am going to have to do 2 rows in a bed that is 3x18 along the back of my garage so I was planning a foot apart zig zag planted. Curious to see the answer to this.

Toni
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #4792039

Peppers like to cozy up so 18 inches should be fine. I am not sure of the size of those cultivars, But the smaller ones like Melrose and Jalapenos can make do with a foot.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #4792307

If anything will size of plant or size of fruit be effected?
kdcon
Alfred, ME
(Zone 4a)

April 11, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #4794250

Ditto what Farmer said. Always spaced mine 18"/20" apart and never had any probs with plant size or production. Had lots of different issues over the yrs. but don't believe spacing was the cause. One yr. the Ravens took a liking to my sweet peppers and darn near cleaned me out. They were eating the peppers not just looking for bugs. I guess close spacing did make it real conveinient for them. ::)) kdcon
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #4794781

You should be able to put a double row of peppers along a soaker hose... if you stagger the row, each row can be just 6-8" from the soaker hose and you'll still be planting them on 18 inch centers...
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4794848

Good idea, critter. I could even zig-zag the soaker hose like a snake in that double row, that's easy enough.

You may have just freed up extra space in my garden for a couple of rows of okra, and I've been trying to figure that out.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #4794930

No need to zig-zag... In my experience, soaker hose will moisten the soil for a couple of feet on either side (less if the soil is really sandy). I run 2 soaker hoses down my 6 ft. wide veggie bed, spaced maybe a little less than 3 feet apart, and I can get a row of tomatoes (caged) along the back and 3 rows of peppers (2 rows between the pair of soakers and one in front of the second soaker), easily.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #4794964

"In my experience, soaker hose will moisten the soil for a couple of feet on either side "
-------------------------

Maybe so. I've got clay soil with a lot of compost in it, and soaker hose only makes it wet on top for about a six-inch wide strip. It makes sense that the wet area would be wider down below, though.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #4795024

If you're not sure, dig down and see what's going on after you've run your irrigation... you'll probably have it in place (and your tomatoes planted out) for a couple of weeks before you put your peppers in the garden. And yes, you only see a little of the watering that's happening on the surface of the soil.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #4796207

Critter,

I wish I'd seen your idea about planting in double, staggered rows for the peppers BEFORE I gave away over half my sweet pepper seedlings. I only kept 40 plants because I didn't have more room. I'm planting lots of sweet peppers because I'm determined to get some peppers even if my soil has PMMoV! Call me greedy I guess...

David
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2008
1:10 PM

Post #4796756

Sorry! I guess I think more in terms of planting veggies on 12 or 18 or 24 inch "centers" than in rows as such, in order to fit as many as possible into my garden! (50x6 ft. looks big to some people, but it's very modest compared to what a lot of you folks do, LOL.)

I think you've started some virus tolerant varieties, so hopefully you'll get a nice harvest!

I thought I'd have all these extra seedlings this year... but some pest keeps biting the heads off the poor little things, and I may only end up putting out half the number I'd anticipated. :-( I think the survivors will be brought upstairs after potting up, and hopefully the greedy little bug? mouse? won't follow!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #4796863

Jill Thanks so much. I learned a lot from this. Now I know what to do with the mystery starts my god daughter changed the tags on. The colors should be pretty over there in August/September.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America